TACAN Volume adjust - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-23-2020, 11:44 PM   #1
Kang

Default TACAN Volume adjust

Just happened to notice earlier today that the volume adjust in the A-10C cockpit (still) doesn't really do anything. If TACAN is switched on and tuned to a station, the identifier beep is audible no matter where you set the volume knob.
Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:27 PM   #2
Livers

The "Hear like in helmet" audio option seems to disable the volume control on the TACAN control panel. However, the volume for TACAN still works on the Intercom control panel either way. Bug or feature?

Dell T5500, X5687 CPU @3.6 GHz, 48GB DDR3, Zotac GTX 980, Windows 10 Pro. TMWH throttle & stick. Alienware AW3418DW monitor. TrackIR 5 with UTC MkII Pro clip. VKB Mk. III rudder pedals.
Livers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:59 PM   #3
Yurgon
Campaign Testers

AFAIK, in the DCS A-10C the volume adjust is ignored while the aircraft does not receive a valid TACAN signal. As soon as it gets a signal, the volume is adjusted according to the volume rotary.

Picking up a signal can take something like a minute or two, even on the ground when the station is just a couple hundred meters from the aircraft.

If the volume doesn't change after the signal is received, then that would be a new problem.

I assume the current DCS behavior is wrong, but I'm not sure how it works in the real aircraft.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:33 AM   #4
Kang

Well, what I try to do is tune the TACAN, listen for the identifier, check I got the right station, then turn down the volume using the knob next to the TACAN tuning switch. Volume does not change in either direction.
Kang is offline   Reply With Quote