Some questions about VPC bases - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-05-2019, 07:33 PM   #1
VpR81

Default Some questions about VPC bases

Hi all,

I´m planning to upgrade my gear with a VPC WarBRD base and i did some research about it, but couldn´t find all the informations i need. I learned that the WarBRD base is meant for sidestick/desktop use without extensions, having about the same axis length as the TM Warthog base. Also, that use of extensions will void the WarBRDs warranty. My plan is to use the WarBRD base for my F-16 sidestick config and start to use the TM base, attached to its baseplate, center mounted with extension for my F/A-18 config. I´m aware about the TMs flaws in that term (gimbal, axis length) and that the VPC T50 base is a much better choice for that. But my budget says no to both at a time and my TM base is still working perfect. I want to order the WarBRD base together with the VPC curved extension, wich i think is a very nice one. I will never use it on the WarBRD base, but only on the TM base. Before i order any of that, i have a few questions about the VPC bases:

1) Can VPC identify the use (or non use) of an extension in case of a warranty related re-shipment? I´m asking this, because i don´t want to get into trouble just for ordering the WarBRD base together with the extension.

2) Do the VPC bases (T50 and WarBRD) fit on the TM baseplate?

3) If No.2 is not the case, can someone please give me the measures between the screw holes on the WarBRD base?

4) Do both VPC bases have different measures between their screw holes?

5) If No.4 is not the case, would a WarBRD baseplate with T50 base fit on a TM baseplate preparation, or would i have to drill new holes to mount the VPC baseplate to my rig?

6) How long does it usually take from order until delivery when ordered from Germany?

7) Prices on the VPC homepage are ex. VAT, but what do i have to pay in the end when delivered to EU/Germany?

I hope i haven´t forgot anything and thank you guys in advance for your time

Cheers
VpR81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:48 PM   #2
Bob_Bushman

1)
I don't think they bother, they recommend not using extensions on the warbrd, since it has a wider deflection than the t50 as well, and this could result in the grip bumping into the deskmount, it's a bit of self coverage, but it's not like the thing won't work, or that they will be unreasonable if you get a problem.
There are many who do use the warbrd with an extension, they just make sure to have the right clearance etc.

Their main support guy is both intelligent and know how many configurations their kit is being used with, I have never gotten a hard time dealing with Virpil support.

2,3)
I think the Warbrd gimbal could be fitted to a warthog type mount, but I'm only guessing, I know the throttle is matched. I can be mistaken.

The t50 mount point is not the base, but the front, there is bracket there that mounts directly into the main gimbal mechanism, this because Virpil doesn't expect the t50 casing to be able to handle the forces mounting to the casing if using the heavier springs and cams.
This is the mount point for the t50

4, 5)
You can try the https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-unive...ase-plate.html, but keep in mind this just attaches to the casing on the t50 so not for use with the hardest springs and cams.

6)
If in stock, I have mostly had about a week before they shipping, rest should be up to the courier.

7)
I would indeed expect that, but I thought EU members would be charged directly I'm from EEA so get hit with a bill a few days later for the VAT.

I have both the old t50 and a warbrd, having them in a right and left stick setup, the warbrd is in my opinion not an inferior stick, it's just different.

Last edited by Bob_Bushman; 12-06-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Bob_Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:00 PM   #3
Sabre_Ewan

If you look in accessories on the shop, they now offer a mounting plate like the warbrd one, and the baseplate of the Warthog.
The original T-50 isn't listed as compatible, but I asked and Cypher told me that it is.

The VAT should be added at checkout, and it will be whatever VAT is in Germany. For example in the UK I paid 20% on top of the listed price.
I recently bought a CM2. Ordered 14th of November, despatched 15th. Arrived here in UK 19th if I remember correctly.

Edit: Sorry just saw that you linked the same thing. But from what he told me, I wouldn't expect to have any problems using it.

Last edited by Sabre_Ewan; 12-06-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Sabre_Ewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:41 PM   #4
Bob_Bushman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre_Ewan View Post
If you look in accessories on the shop, they now offer a mounting plate like the warbrd one, and the baseplate of the Warthog.
The original T-50 isn't listed as compatible, but I asked and Cypher told me that it is.

The VAT should be added at checkout, and it will be whatever VAT is in Germany. For example in the UK I paid 20% on top of the listed price.
I recently bought a CM2. Ordered 14th of November, despatched 15th. Arrived here in UK 19th if I remember correctly.

Edit: Sorry just saw that you linked the same thing. But from what he told me, I wouldn't expect to have any problems using it.
No I don't think there would be major problems for 99% of cases.

But there is the possible edge case where a user throw on the warbird extra heavy cams and the hardest springs and a long extension.

For the t50 the bottom plate is only attached by four fine threaded M3 screws after all.

For the warbrd the bottom fixture is using a bit larger screws and the cams and springs for that have significantly lower force potential than what is possible to get with the t50.

That said I have actually mounted my t50 from the bottom and used that like this for a year and half of daily use, but I'm using the Cosmo-sim cams and soft springs.
The gimbal is barely any heavier than my old CH fighterstick as it is now.
But just the standard cams with medium springs had me almost having to brace myself against the floor to engage full deflection.

Last edited by Bob_Bushman; 12-07-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Bob_Bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:34 PM   #5
Baur

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VPC Universal Compact Base Plate.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	222460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Площадка MT-50 Base 1.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	222461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Base V2 1.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	222462  

Baur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:36 PM   #6
Baur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Bushman View Post
For the t50 the bottom plate is only attached by four fine threaded M3 screws after all.
No - M4 screws

Baur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:02 PM   #7
VpR81

That´s truly some interesting info from you guys. Especially those pictures from you Baur helped a lot and covered everything i wanted to know about the measures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre_Ewan View Post
Less than a week if in stock sounds realy great, so i may get it prior to christmas. Did you pay with paypal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Bushman View Post
1)
I don't think they bother, they recommend not using extensions on the warbrd, since it has a wider deflection than the t50 as well, and this could result in the grip bumping into the deskmount, it's a bit of self coverage, but it's not like the thing won't work, or that they will be unreasonable if you get a problem.
There are many who do use the warbrd with an extension, they just make sure to have the right clearance etc.
So extension related damages primarily meant for the grip instead of the base, or am i wrong? Anyways that´s ok for me, since i use a rig with no desk or whatever between me and the paddles and i don´t plan to use the warbrd center mounted. Space from left to right would propably be an issue with the Warbrd/WH deflection, rather than front/rear for me... I guess there is no way around a T50 base within the next few months...

Or a T50+extension now and the Warbrd later? Damn, that´s a realy hard decision...

Ah btw, maybe another question. Not sure if it´s worth asking since they´re officially compatible, but i´m still a bit concerned about it... Are there any known issues when using the TM Warthog or the TM F/A-18 grip on the VPC bases? Should work perfectly, shouldn´t they?

Cheers
Old 12-07-2019, 10:00 PM   #8
Sabre_Ewan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VpR81 View Post
Less than a week if in stock sounds realy great, so i may get it prior to christmas. Did you pay with paypal?

Yep. Paid with paypal. They've definitely improved a lot since they started shipping from Lithuania.

I ordered my T-50 base and original grip when everything was still coming straight from Belarus.
Then "In Stock" just meant "maybe we'll ship it in a month or two". Luckily they seem to have fixed some things and now they operate it like a real online shop.

A much better shopping experience, and the products have always been great.
Sabre_Ewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:32 PM   #9
VpR81

Ok, convinced. Just checking if some friends want to jump in to share shipping costs and then going to order Warbrd base, extension and the universal baseplate tomorrow. Can´t wait for it.

Thank you guys for all your efforts, this realy helped me out!

Cheers
Old 12-09-2019, 08:51 PM   #10
Raisuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by VpR81 View Post

So extension related damages primarily meant for the grip instead of the base, or am i wrong? Anyways that´s ok for me, since i use a rig with no desk or whatever between me and the paddles and i don´t plan to use the warbrd center mounted. Space from left to right would propably be an issue with the Warbrd/WH deflection, rather than front/rear for me... I guess there is no way around a T50 base within the next few months...

Or a T50+extension now and the Warbrd later? Damn, that´s a realy hard decision...

Ah btw, maybe another question. Not sure if it´s worth asking since they´re officially compatible, but i´m still a bit concerned about it... Are there any known issues when using the TM Warthog or the TM F/A-18 grip on the VPC bases? Should work perfectly, shouldn´t they?

Cheers

I ran my WH stick on my Warbrd base until I decided to buy the stick (separately) and pay way more than needed for the package. It was worth it.

The WH stick might not fare as well now with light springs and an extension; the weight might be more than the springs can center, but I haven't tested it.

When I designed the center mount base I was very, very careful to make sure nothing, including the flip-trigger in the up position, ran into anything solid. The palm rest catches my right leg at the extreme end of travel, but overall I'm pretty satisfied.

Sure, I'm mounting so a solid base with 4 M4s in an aluminum extrusion, but realistically I don't slam the thing around much. It made an awful noise after testing out some (too light) springs, but that was the screws holding the gimbal to the top plate coming lose a little. Easy to fix.

Overall I've been very pleased with both the base and the stick, and there's something sexy about flying American iron with a Belorussian production of a Soviet stick. Croatian pedals, French throttle, Russian software, I had a Polish extension but I changed that. I made the rest of the pit so I suppose that part is American...except for the components made in either Japan, Taiwan, or China.

It's really hard to go to 'war' with anyone given the international nature of my set-up...Let's see...nothing from Upper Volta, right?