MFD Reflections

Razor5-1

Hi,

Having being watching the F16 vids from wags I have noticed the reflection in the MFD's of the cockpit. As he moves his view this doesn't change the reflection so I assume this is just a static reflection.

It would be nice to have an option to turn that reflection on and off for peoples preferences in the special options tab.

But, does a pilot in a real F16 get the option to turn the reflection off?

No, but the simulation we live in, runs on some crazy powerful next-next-next-next-gen hardware and pretty advanced coding.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

He/she neither have the ability to make the reflection static.

Not the most important thing imo, but I do agree with Razor5-1. In the Hornet I tend to move my head really close to mfd's in VR to be able to read them. Then the static reflections are closer to immersion breaking rather than realistic

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• 3 weeks later...

I mean, the F-16 doesn't have any mirrors... Couldn't we use that computing power for actual rendered reflections for our MFD's instead? At least as an option? I really don't like those static reflections. In the F-18 they work great, but in the F-16 the reflections are so crystal clear that it breaks your immersion right away. So yeah, MFD mirrors, please ED!

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

No, but he can block if off with his hands!

Suggested a hand shadow for the Hornet already because in certain situations it's absolutely impossible to read the displays where IRL you'd just hold your hand to block off the light that hammers them.

And the static reflections really do look canned. In an otherwise superb cockpit, this is like a tad of 1990s 3D tech in it.

And, do other modules like the Hornet have this? I guess not...

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Yes, he can put his hand over the MDF to avoid reflections.

the reflection in the real F16 change with the pilot' angle of view, does the reflection in the sim changes? /s

There should be an option in the graphics config where we could choose between

A)no reflection,

B)static reflection,

C)real reflection.

This option should be used for the canopy as well.

Edited by Icebeat

Having flown aircraft that have displays. Both helicopter and Fixed wing I will say that they are completely unrealistic and very annoying in their implementation in the F16. It is even causing me to not fly the F16 or at a minimum fly at night so they are gone.

They break the immersion for me. In reality with a reflection, if it is noticeable even the slightest turn away the reflection is gone and it's back to a deep colour without any reflection.

I would really love them to be like the A-10. Or have an option in the aircraft specific tab that hides them for those that don't want!

No, but he can block if off with his hands!

Suggested a hand shadow for the Hornet already because in certain situations it's absolutely impossible to read the displays where IRL you'd just hold your hand to block off the light that hammers them.

And the static reflections really do look canned. In an otherwise superb cockpit, this is like a tad of 1990s 3D tech in it.

And, do other modules like the Hornet have this? I guess not...

I agree with you The technology they use is something.. of.. outdated ( a picture :lol:).

2019/20 yeehaa. I mean.. wake up ED. Its not 2003.

i9-11900K, alle Kerne 5100 MHz  –  Asus ROG Maximus XIII Extreme – 64 GB DDR4 3733 MHz Cl17 – NVIDIA Rtx Asus Strix Oc 2080 super (4090 später 🕹️) – Hotas Warthog mit Drossel – Vpc Mongoos T50CM2 & Vpc 200 mm Verlängerung – Vpc ACE Sammlung Pedale -Trackir5

I don't like the static reflections either personally, not on the MFD's or the canopy. I did something about it this weekend. Here's the upload:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3306471/

Nightstorm it'd be great if you provided one with just the MFD reflection texture removed! :)

DCS Rosetta, my automatic DCS mission and campaign translator: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=233877

• 2 weeks later...
Here's one with just the MFD reflections removed as requested. The zip only contains the files related to the cockpit reflections. Until customized cockpits are a working thing, the only way to implement this is to extract the cockpit textures zip file, replace the textures and rezip it.

Does not seem to need re zipping. I have the unzipped folder side by side with a renamed textures zip file. Thanks for sharing.

Windows 7/10 64bit, Intel i7-4770K 3.9GHZ, 32 GB Ram, Gforce GTX 1080Ti, 11GB GDDR5 Valve Index. Force IPD 63 (for the F-16)

Its been done before and quite well (reflections) [ATTACH]220371[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]220372[/ATTACH]

I never found they got in the way.

Yeah, but look at how much better the displays are in your pics compared to what we currently have at the moment regarding clarity/contrast etc....

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For some reason I am unable to get it to work. When I change the name of the original zip file I have to give admin permission to do so. Not so after I add the files and regardless of whether I zip it back up or not it doesn't ask to give admin permission and DCS doesn't recognize it and all of the textures are missing. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

I've tried multiple ways to get it to work with no joy. I even bought a copy of WinZip. The new zip is a smaller file size but I would expect that since reflection textures are being altered/removed. It simply wont work for me.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

As i wrote above it seems fine not to re zip. I just copied the unzipped and modified contents textures folder back inside the game folder. The original zip i presume could be moved elsewhere rather than renamed. I re named original unmodified zip with no issue beyond giving `permission`and left in original location.

Textures.JPG.8d6940e30ddbcef9bcc25a9faf40c9e2.JPG

Edited by CobaltUK

Windows 7/10 64bit, Intel i7-4770K 3.9GHZ, 32 GB Ram, Gforce GTX 1080Ti, 11GB GDDR5 Valve Index. Force IPD 63 (for the F-16)