Marianas islands Map - Page 16 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-06-2020, 11:47 AM   #151
jasonbirder

Quote:
Shame the thread went down the road of arguing the difference between far-fetched, reasonable, possible, probable, unreasonable, imaginative and so on.

You are obviously corect...but tell me that developing the Kurils and Sea of Okhotsk wouldn't have involved similar Water/Land ratios...little need for details land assets for placement and been a hell of a lot more relevent for US/Russia cold war scenarios (which is what our current plane set fits best)
jasonbirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:30 PM   #152
twistking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbirder View Post
You are obviously corect...but tell me that developing the Kurils and Sea of Okhotsk wouldn't have involved similar Water/Land ratios...little need for details land assets for placement and been a hell of a lot more relevent for US/Russia cold war scenarios (which is what our current plane set fits best)
the thing is, that does not even matter. there were probably some areas of the world that would have been suited, but at some point it just comes down to personal preference...
Old 01-06-2020, 05:30 PM   #153
Lunatic98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
Shame the thread went down the road of arguing the difference between far-fetched, reasonable, possible, probable, unreasonable, imaginative and so on.

At this point it's really just individual. I can absolutely guarantee that thousands of people do have the ability to enjoy the map concept despite limitations. For which, there are so many, in all of DCS, as to render the concept of playing anything with authenticity extremely restricted. And believe me, we could drag the conversation down from global orbats and geopolitics, right to the DCS simulation of radar and ECM and chaff code to find some kind of argument over realism. It's just not worth it though. Somethng has to give way for realism at every step.

As for assets, you have to start somewhere. Who would deny that the P-51 raised eyebrows and no one knew what to do with it at launch? But should we wait until the entire Luftwaffe were modelled before flying it? Or just some planes, the exact number being... 42? We could repeat the arguments over the 109K model, the P-51 Korean version or even the F-16 version and start talking about what combat these things saw and flew in. Do I have a right to be disapointed at the choices? Sure. It gets my OCD flowing that I can't essentially get Harpoon 3 down in DCS on a map with some relevant combat, but you know, we have all managed up until now and this map only gives us more tools, not less.

Being disappointed with the exact way ED develop is an excercise in futility. One can counter-argument every time with opinion and stand quite safely in a defensible position because that's an opinion. But the only real loser is the person that cannot make good use of what they are given in life.

If the Spanish can claim Guam in 15-whatever it was in randomly blown canoes, the Chinese/Russian/Korean/Martians can capture it in 2020. Just to make this absolutely clear, I haven't yet decided if a joint Swedish-Chinese coalition will already have possesion of Guam in their Red and white Viggens, before the US arrive in their P-51's led by the Grim Reapers talking in Farsi.
Absolutely all of this

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRider View Post
I'm glad rocks are finally starting to look like rocks. I hope ED continues on making the terrain resolution better, with more fine, granular detail. Anyway, this is going to be a great map for low level helicopter flying!
I hope this free map will be more populated on servers, its dissapointing to see that there's always relatively few people playing on PG or nevada.
Sure is!

And with the detail, they can now, if we add up the area of all the islands in the Marianas we get to just over 1000km^2 of land area, and over half of that is Guam by itself. The area is tiny compared to the rest of our maps, so it should allow for much greater detail, while all together having a much smaller object count. It should also mean that all of the landmass is detailed, unlike in our current maps. The only other thing there besides the islands is water and, fingers cross here, a low-resolution but accurate depth map. I mean even if you scale this map up past 400x400km to something mad like 2300x1300km without necessarily impacting workload or performance significantly (you're just adding more water, and more depth map - which can be done pretty low-res)

System (RIP my old PC): Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ Intel i7-8750H, NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Max-Q, 16GB DDR4, 500GB SSD

VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro

Dreams: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/qdrM4n

Last edited by Lunatic98; 01-08-2020 at 02:37 PM.
Lunatic98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:15 PM   #154
CBOOTHE

Pretty stoked for this map for many reasons! I lived there as a kid and tried my best to get back there while flying the -135 on active duty. Many of my sqn mates went, and I went to a ton of cool places in the pacific (like Wake Island for example) but I never made it back to Andersen.

Thanks ED- I'll put it to good use.
CBOOTHE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:31 PM   #155
Bassemann87

Great News! i cant wait to fly in this new map

Lenovo T530-28ICB +500GB SSD / OS: Windows 10 64Bit / Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS FLIGHT PACK
Bassemann87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:34 PM   #156
RabidRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic98 View Post
Well, they can now, the whole of the Marianas has about 1000-ish km^2 of area - tiny compared to the rest of our maps, so it should allow for much greater detail, while all together having a much smaller object count.
RabidRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:33 PM   #157
Eviscerador

The map is actually quite good for naval ops and amphibian warfare. Sure we need more red naval assets and better naval systems modelling but so far the islands position is great for a "top vs bottom" campaign, were China could invade Saipan because they want to expand into the pacific, or if you prefer the Reds to be the good guys, maybe the blue force is building a missile launch base, like a Cuban crisis.

Also, it will be a great opportunity to use all of those big planes like Tu 22M, Tu95, Tu142, B1, B52 in patrol dutie or long range missile launches. They don't need to take off from the islands, they can come from other bases in the mainland.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:32 PM   #158
GaryR

Map would be GREAT if DCS had the A6M Zero and (one of them) the Corsair/F6F/P38.. but the next logical map was Korea as we already HAVE the two best jets of the Korean conflict! Would have been nice.
1TB M.2 Crucial Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive
Gigabyte RTX 2080 w/ 8GB - Nvidia 445.87 drivers
LG 32GK850G-B 32" 2560x1440 G-Sync at 144Hz
Win10 Pro Ver. 1909 - Build 18363.836
TIR 5, CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle HOTAS w/ MTWSims Sensors and Mainboards
GaryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:44 PM   #159
Silver_Dragon
DCS Ground Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryR View Post
Map would be GREAT if DCS had the A6M Zero and (one of them) the Corsair/F6F/P38.. but the next logical map was Korea as we already HAVE the two best jets of the Korean conflict! Would have been nice.
AM6 Zero AI and F4-U1 Corsair has in progress by Magnitude 3.

DCS: Roadmap (unofficial):https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116893
DCS: List of Vacant models: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.p...91#post4076891
21Squad DCS: World News: https://www.facebook.com/21Squad-219508958071000/
Silver_Dragon Youtube
Silver_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:13 PM   #160
Chopper A-10

Served 18 months on Guam, Anderson AFB . . this map will be good for sea ops . . creating missions to attack ships . . all other islands in the area are friendlies . . great place for a practice bombing range and carrier ops.

Was in 8th Air Force Crash Rescue, we bombed Vietnam everyday, 24/7 Dec 69 thru May 71 when I was there.

Lots of Naval and Air Force history played out in these islands . . rains there every day.

Chopper

kayla quick net worth