DCS SA342 Gazelle Project

Pat01

Hi, I've been looking for a few videos Gazelle combat. As seen from the outside, there is no significant movement, but I can not believe that from within not even notice a slight rocking. I'll try to keep looking.

min 0:10

min 2:10

Edited by ruso

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the videos that he posted a few days ago, yes. :o)

That very good news so! :thumbup:

That was always my favorit helicopter ever since i was young in France (maybe with the Huey, but for others reasons) and if this one is made with equal details level as the Huey module (FM included), it's gonna be a blast :clap:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

That very good news so! :thumbup:

That was always my favorit helicopter ever since i was young in France (maybe with the Huey, but for others reasons) and if this one is made with equal details level as the Huey module (FM included), it's gonna be a blast :clap:

The very same is true for me and the BO-105 (http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=109055) :o)

But I will get both once they are released. :-D

I am pretty sure there should be no recoil when launching these missiles... recoil you get when you fire a shell/bullet because the casing that provides active force to the projectile stays within the weapon in the barrel, hence the reactive force (recoil) exists... but with missile, the active force comes from rocket engine that stays withing the projectile... so there should be no recoil on the aircraft. Only the rocket engine fumes would exert some (minor) force on the aircraft.

No longer active in DCS...

I am pretty sure there should be no recoil when launching these missiles... recoil you get when you fire a shell/bullet because the casing that provides active force to the projectile stays within the weapon in the barrel, hence the reactive force (recoil) exists... but with missile, the active force comes from rocket engine that stays withing the projectile... so there should be no recoil on the aircraft. Only the rocket engine fumes would exert some (minor) force on the aircraft.

There was a similar discussion some weeks ago about the Huey and rockets. The conclusion of the thread was ... inconclusive (and the Huey still experiences some sort of "recoil" ...)

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=107312

Should be nothing inconclusive... it's simple physics

To get recoil you need force to act on the object... as I said, bullet gets force to push it forward that comes from the shell casing, which stays inside the barrel... law of action/reaction means the shell must be pushed in opposite direction from bullet... and as shell is still inside the barrel and weapon, hence the recoil to the barrel and the weapon... remember that with firing bullet from a gun, the only place gases can come out is from the barrel itself, at the front... so bullet and gases have to come out the front... and opposite force is the recoil.

With these rockets and missile, the force comes from rocket engine which stays within the projectile... so action/reaction forces act only on projectile and not the tube from which projectile was in, because gasses that create the pressure have hole on the back to exit out... well there will be some force once the rocket is out of the tube, but this should not be much.

There is really nothing complicated to figure this out.

Edited by Kuky

No longer active in DCS...

There still may be some effect as the rocket is not frictionless in the tube. And there may be a system locing it in place? And gases can have aerodynamic effect on the tube .

So mostly no recoil but some friction left?

Details:

Asus Z-170E, Intel i5-6600K @ 4.2GHz, 16GB RAM

MSI GTX970 Gaming 4G

Win 10 Home

During missile launch no significant recoil helicopters, as is well explained by Kuky, but you can hear a lot of loud noise like a powerful punch to the hull and wheezing (tracer), which is slightly muted as missile leaves. It would be very nice if be able to make that effect, a sound artist Diveplane.

As I said I am talking about Missiles 9M14-M (2T)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Everything is possible ...

Should be nothing inconclusive... it's simple physics

To get recoil you need force to act on the object... as I said, bullet gets force to push it forward that comes from the shell casing, which stays inside the barrel... law of action/reaction means the shell must be pushed in opposite direction from bullet... and as shell is still inside the barrel and weapon, hence the recoil to the barrel and the weapon... remember that with firing bullet from a gun, the only place gases can come out is from the barrel itself, at the front... so bullet and gases have to come out the front... and opposite force is the recoil.

With these rockets and missile, the force comes from rocket engine which stays within the projectile... so action/reaction forces act only on projectile and not the tube from which projectile was in, because gasses that create the pressure have hole on the back to exit out... well there will be some force once the rocket is out of the tube, but this should not be much.

There is really nothing complicated to figure this out.

School physics would suggest that, yes, and I would believe the same. But read that thread - I can't decide if they are right or not. (and perhaps we also should keep this discussion in that other thread to not derail this further?)

There still may be some effect as the rocket is not frictionless in the tube. And there may be a system locing it in place? And gases can have aerodynamic effect on the tube .

So mostly no recoil but some friction left?

This. Also, the helicopter gets lighter, etc. Even though the projectile is recoilless, it doesn't just teleport away. Having fired a live LAW I can guarantee that the event is pretty "dynamic" to say at least :) So I would go with a gentle nod of the helicopter instead of full blown recoil.

Hi. This is the best video I've found. Visually from outside may not appreciate a slight movement to launch a rocket, but from within, which is what I really care if would have to be noted. What's more, would have to be more pronounced if launched by hover (hover making the sim is too static, right?). This is not destructive criticism. I understand that the project is in alpha stage and there are many things to debug, but I would love it to be the best hard sim created so far. Greetings.

You guys are neglecting the increased drag on the leading edge caused by supersonic gasses emanating from the rocket motor.

could you explain this a bit further? I think, I know what you are implying (i am a total layman in this area!), but if I am right, a hovering helicopter should not be affected by the effects you mention?

small update,

Finally I decided to make a "Viviane" first, then an export version with gun and rockets, and then a "Mistral" one.

Here are some screenshots of the first 3D screws and rivets ... still a lot of job to do.

details0.thumb.jpg.c2476f9d5ac6d2f7693f94621050948f.jpg

1351934580_details1WIP.jpg.b61b4012bf75d1d625fbacbeb334df0c.jpg

224176003_details2WIP.jpg.0185451f9a94ac43f3359582105cb036.jpg

125229116_details3VivianeWIP.thumb.jpg.283b34cefab48421ba156ae83a22a9a6.jpg

• Like 1