Bombing method?

vctpil

Hi,

I have used with success to fire rockets in reference with the table setting found in the Quickstart manual page 27.

But I absolutely not able to place a bomb on the target. They are falling well, well before the target.

I have watched a lot of tutorial on youtube, but I have found them totally unrealistic, dropping bomb at a very low altitude without using any references or even not setting the gunsight reflector.

Have you got this problem ? What is your technique for bombing ?

Thanks,

Vincent

IAMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12x 3.7 to 4.8Ghz - 32Go DDR4 3600Mhz - GeForce RTX 3080 - Samsung Odyssey G7 QLED - AIMXY

L-39 bombing is difficult because you must fly relatively exact parameters. A table of parameters is available in the DCS manual (Table 1, Bombs Delivery).

Taking the 30° profile as an example the values are:

Sight 11°

Entry 1500m 350 km/h

Release 800m 550 km/h

RPM 92%

The first technique set is perhaps the most difficult and that is beginning the attack at the proper entry point. Assuming you know the target elevation and your barometric altimeter is correctly calibrated, calculate the altitudes that correspond to the heights above.

A great deal of practice and observation is required to reliably achieve the correct dive angle. Do a calculation of the dive angle and entry height to determine your lateral offset at entry. For example a 30° dive from 1500m height requires that you start from a track 2600m offset. Consider placing an easy to see landmark in the editor along this path.

Flying at the prescribed entry height, speed, and offset watch the target out the 2 or 10 o'clock position paying attention to where the target appears relative to some reference on the canopy frame (e.g. how high up from the frame, how far back from the bow). Set the power setting (e.g. 92%) and pull using the same technique (bank, G-loading, etc.) each time.

Place your flight path (use AOA indications and estimate it on the sight) a distance beyond the target. This point should neither drift up or down your view. The pipper should start below the target and track upward arriving at the same moment you reach release height. When on an actual attack, release bomb(s) and execute the recovery.

The first few dozen times you try this one or more aspects of the attack will be wrong. The dive angle, pipper-target position, speed, RPM, etc. can be not what is desired. Each incorrect parameter has a fix and many are interrelated. Examine each attack after the fact in detail and apply the necessary adjustments to technique.

• 2 weeks later...

You might not know this but tacview is a big help. In general, I follow these principles:

1- the steeper the dive, the more accurate the bomb.

2- the faster you are the more accurate the bombing will be

3- the bomb must always fall beneath the sight

4- the closer to target you are, the more speed and dive angle needed thus the more accurate your bombs will impact.

I will attach my tacview run from the mission (one pass haul ass) to 35 m resolution (within 35 meters of the target)

Essentially it comes by practice bearing in mind these principles.

Sent from my SM-T231 using Tapatalk

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 1 year later...

good lord - sorry for the necromanced thread but for the life of me i cannot hit a target with the FAB100 on the 30deg profile.

always they land long...

any tips from anyone?

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

good lord - sorry for the necromanced thread but for the life of me i cannot hit a target with the FAB100 on the 30deg profile.

always they land long...

any tips from anyone?

practice practice practice...

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

always they land long...

any tips from anyone?

Too long? Too fast, too shallow or too high.

Check the replay/Tacview, it shows if some parameter was not precise enough. If you are hitting within 30m/100ft, that's very good.

If possible set the radio altimeter danger altitude to your release +50m and release when you hear the tone. This lets you focus on the sight picture.

awesome advice ! :) :joystick::pilotfly::thumbup:

Su34 & F111 a dream fullfilled in fsx...[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 5600, 1050ti, 16 GVram, win10 , TM W hotas&rudder, waiting for 1060/1070 price fall or a new gpu family..f*&9 miners :)

I have it nailed down… My mistake was putting the pipper on the target during my dive. It is much better to place flight path ahead of target / hold attitude and allow pipper to drift up to target at the 800 release altitude. It seems to be that this is the most reproducible method. As others have suggested… Reviewing my replay was critical and identifying this. I hope this helps others!

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL