DCS P-51D QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

Well yeah but problem is I'm still downloading 1.2.1 World at the insane speed of 1.5 ko/s.

Started 2 days ago and still nowhere near the end...So I thought I might try to download the P51 1.2.0 version since it's a lot smaller...I guess I'll have to wait another month before enjoying my purchase...and by then the 1.2.2 will probably be out...I hate my internet provider.

Hi! This is my first post. Weeks ago I downloaded the beta version and DCS World 1.2.0. After installing some patches (speech fix, headtracker fix), everything went well. I have to congratulate the ED team for a job well done. This is by far the best p51d sim I've ever tried.

After installing DCS World 1.2.1 and the final version of p51d, I've encountered more bugs that I can't seem to fix (headtracker, mouse pointer, failure to go back to menu, framerates, etc.) So I'll probably go back to 1.2.0 for now, until the bugs are fixed. I guess this means I'll have to deal with the left roll on take-off problem for the mean time :)

Anyway, back on topic..

Noob question: The tutorial teaches us to use 50 manifold pressure for the take-off. In real life, what is the ideal manifold pressure for normal take-off?

Follow up noob question, at what speed do you guys usually ease off the stick (return to neutral from aft position), and at what speed do you rotate?

Thank you in advance!! :)

I bought the game yesterday and I also have these bugs (mouse pointer, failure to go back to menu), but I guess it will get fixed eventually.

I also have a noob question : is it possible to zoom freely when you're in the cockpit, not the full zoom. I found out that you can zoom instantly to the sight, but I want to zoom much less than that.

(excuse my bad english :noexpression:)

How do I turn on the realistic engine model (don't know how it's actually called)?

Looked everywhere and can't find it...

Thanks

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

is it possible to zoom freely when you're in the cockpit, not the full zoom. I found out that you can zoom instantly to the sight, but I want to zoom much less than that.

There are three functions for zoom: "zoom in," "zoom in slow," and "zoom external in." The first one is what you're using now, which gives you an instantaneous zoom change. The second one is the one which I believe looking for; it slowly changes the zoom until you release the key. The third affects external views (and first-person after you've bailed out), and adjusts the zoom slowly without moving the camera.

"Zoom in" is found under the "View Cockpit" category. The other two are in "View."

You can also adjust the value of your maximum and minimum zoom. I felt that maximum zoom gave too small of an F.o.V. (and vice versa), so I adjusted my max and min zoom levels. The following thread contains a few pointers about how: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92402

I set mine to 30 degrees min, 75 deg. default, and 100 deg. max, but the right values for you depend not only on your preference, but also on your monitor size (and perhaps aspect ratio) and your eye-to-monitor distance.

(excuse my bad english)

Your English is excellent.

How do I turn on the realistic engine model (don't know how it's actually called)?

Looked everywhere and can't find it...

As long as "GAME FLIGHT MODE," "GAME AVIONICS MODE," and "IMMORTAL" are not checked in the GAMEPLAY tab of the main menu options, you should have the realistic engine modelling. I've never experimented with flying on anything less than maximum realism/difficulty settings, so I can't say for sure which of these options does what, but these are the only options which, if checked, could have any possibility of reducing the fidelity of the engine modelling.

Oh, I nearly forgot--missions can over-ride these settings, so if you're flying a mission that you made, be sure that the mission options don't have any of those three options checked, either.

Edited by Echo38

I have everything set to realistic (of course), but the engine seems to run way too easily and smoothly.

- No sputter and smoke on startup (actually no smoke at all, this merlin runs cleaner than a toyota prius :doh:)

- idling for long periods doesn't foul the spark plugs

- going full throttle with a cold engine doesn't do the least of damage

- going full throttle (61MP) and max RPM for more than 20 minutes, no temp increase, no nothing, engine still runs perfectly.

- slamming the throttle back and forward repeatedly doesn't cause any damage, changes in the sound, smoke.

- Hi power with low RPM = no damage

I guess there must be something wrong here 'cause this doesn't sound like complex engine management at all...

Windows 10 - Intel i7 7700K 4.2 Ghz (no OC) - Asus Strix GTX 1080 8Gb - 16GB DDR4 (3000 MHz) - SSD 500GB + WD Black FZEX 1TB 6Gb/s

What version are you running? I bet it's not 1.2.1. ;)

Well, actually it is. 1.2.1 + latest update of DCSW. FUnny thing is, the engine did seem more realistic in the previous version (at least on my system)...

Could it be something with config files? I imported the "Input" folder from my previous install so I did't have to remap all the controls.

Is there a way to twist the throttle handle to change the size of the gun sight or is this not modded in the sim? Thanks.

I don't remember the name of the control but the answer is yes. There is a key combo for increase and decrease wing span and range. It is in the K-14 section, look for 'Target Span'.

Edited by cichlidfan
  • Like 1

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Is there a way to twist the throttle handle to change the size of the gun sight or is this not modded in the sim? Thanks.

Map to an axis of your choice.

Look under 'K-14' in the P-51 Real Axis options. For keyboard commands, look under 'Gunsight' entries.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Thank you sir.

Actually, the throttle twist is the range control not the wingspan. Sorry for the mixup.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Also, to clarify what Viper said, there are two separate controls for the range control, just like I.R.L.; one's on the gunsight itself and the other is the throttle twist. Former is found in the K-14 category, the latter is found in the Axis category (I believe).

• Like 1

Quick Question.

When I open the throttle to full and pull into a turn I often get sent into a very uncomfortable spiral/roll that can only be recovered by reducing power and stopping the turn.

Q:] What would you call this problem?

|noob pilot error? |

I had a scan over the manual but I don't really know how do diagnose the issue.

I have a feeling that it is to do with the amount of power but unfortunately this happens with anything above half throttle.

Any pointers would be really helpful!

bkthunder, not sure how you managed to not seize your engine. Engine management got a lot more complex at 1.2.1

I've had engine seizes/power loss countless ways from abusing my engine:

High MP with low prop pitch

Sudden full throttle push

Cold coolant

Overheat

Overcold

Well, I just had my first engine seizure yesterday.

Here's my test:

Both coolers on CLOSED

61" MP

2200 RPM

I kept a steep climb at about 110 Knt

Oil temp went quickly up to 100 degrees

Coolant temp went past 140

I put carb heat on with rammed air (something that should not be done)

Kept running for about 15 minutes like this, then the engine stopped.

In the meanwhile, I haven't seen any smoke, no steam coming from the coolant relief valve, no strange sounds. It took 15 minutes and that seems a bit long...

Test 2:

Started engine as per checklist.

Kept the engine running at idle (that is throttle all the way back)

I was expecting the spark plugs to get fouled, but the engine kept running for 30 minutes without any signs of loss of power, sputters or anything else. Also quite disappointing.

I ended the test after 30 minutes, I figured it would go on like that forever.

Test 3:

Aircraft in flight at 5000 ft.

3000 RPM

I slam the throttle repeatedly from Idle to Max for 100 times (yes, I counted them).

Nothing happened. I kept running at 61"MP and 3000RPM for an extra 30 minutes. No damage.

I'm running v 1.1.2.1 on DCSW v 1.1.2.1.6288

• Like 1

When I open the throttle to full and pull into a turn I often get sent into a very uncomfortable spiral/roll that can only be recovered by reducing power and stopping the turn.

Q:] What would you call this problem?

|noob pilot error? |

It's called an accelerated stall, and it is indeed a noob pilot error. However, don't feel bad--it's a universal noob pilot error. I don't know a single person who managed to avoid spinning the airplane the first time he tried to dogfight. Heck, my first time in P-51D, I spun it by accident, too--and I was expecting it, being very familiar with the phenomenon from a plethora of sources.

I have a feeling that it is to do with the amount of power but unfortunately this happens with anything above half throttle.

It isn't exactly linked to power output, but higher power settings can have indirect effects. For example, at higher power, you do have more airflow over the elevator, increasing the elevator's effectiveness. I suggest reading up on accelerated stalls, propwash, and other such aerodynamic phenomena. There's a treasure-room of information out there about it, and much of it is easily accessible to anyone who cares to examine it. It's also essential knowledge for any dogfighter. If you want the TL;DR version, though, here's the short answer: don't pull so hard on the stick. Take it easy.

I kept a steep climb at about 110 Knt

Say, did you mean MPH, or did you convert the ASI readings to knots? The P-51, like all U.S. aircraft in the Second World War, uses MPH and not knots on its ASI.

Edited by Echo38

Say, did you mean MPH, or did you convert the ASI readings to knots? The P-51, like all U.S. aircraft in the Second World War, uses MPH and not knots on its ASI.

I converted to Knots, hence the "about". Do you think that's my engine management problem? :juggle:

• ED Team
Is there actually going to be a full world war two campaign with ww2 ground units and aircraft and scenery? Or will the P-51 just remain a lone ww2 machine in the current DCS environment. Thankyou.

P51D is a starting point. I am aware of 3 German AI aircraft being modelled. No details on completion dates. Similarly for 2ndWW ground units.

Having problems? Visit http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Main_Page

Dell Laptop M1730 -Vista- Intel Core 2 Duo T7500@2.2GHz, 4GB, Nvidia 8700MGT 767MB

Intel i7 975 Extreme 3.2GHZ CPU, NVidia GTX 570 1.28Gb Pcie Graphics.