Show me your carrier landings!

The Integrator

Carrier landing at night and bad weather

Edited by Intruder_360

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQL1A| Case: Thermaltake Overseer RX-I | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 80+ GOLD, 1300W| Mobo: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | CPU: Intel Core i9 9900KS @5 GHz | CPU-Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Tower Cooler | RAM: 32GB G.Skill F4-4133C17-8GTZR | GPU:NVIDIA GeForce RTX4090 OC 24GB |SSD: Samsung SSD 860 M.2 1TB | Keyboard: Logitech G110 | Mouse: Logitech G502 | Gaming Devices: Hotas WW Orion 2 Stick&Throttle, Thrustmaster MFD, Pimax Crystal, Stream Deck XL

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I’m having a real hard time with a few things in my pattern approach. The turn from upwind to downwind at 800ft and 350 knots. I’m turning too sharply and therefore too close to the carrier. Maintaining altitude when dropping gear and lowering flaps. My left hand turn when seeing the back of the carrier deck. I all too often sink during that turn and come in too low behind the ship. I should be about 350 ft but i usually come in at 250-300 and not “in the groove” at all.

Edited by fmedges

I’m having a real hard time with a few things in my pattern approach. The turn from upwind to downwind at 800ft and 350 knots. I’m turning too sharply and therefore too close to the carrier. Maintaining altitude when dropping gear and lowering flaps. My left had turn when seeing the back of the carrier deck. I all too often sink during that turn and come in too low behind the ship. I should be about 350 ft but i usually come in at 250-300 and not “in the groove” at all.

Basically my problems as well. The rule of thumb for pulling G in the crosswind turn was very helpful - pull G to your airspeed (so 350kts, pull 3.5 G). I never leave the HUD during that turn - I set flaps to full before the turn (the FCS takes care of not overspeeding them), and I have the gear mapped to my Warthog throttle so I don't have to take eyes off the HUD.

Really important to anticipate that sink when you turn base, it can mess up your approach very quickly.

It's tempting to extend your downwind to have more time, but you do then end up in a long groove and have to hold altitude to intercept the glideslope.

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

No video. But I landed, caught a wire. Plane could (probably) be used again, but i'm pretty sure I would have been court marshaled and never allowed near the boat again.

;)

So i guess the no video thing is to make sure you have no eye witnesses to kill in caes off huh? :P

I’m having a real hard time with a few things in my pattern approach. The turn from upwind to downwind at 800ft and 350 knots. I’m turning too sharply and therefore too close to the carrier. Maintaining altitude when dropping gear and lowering flaps. My left hand turn when seeing the back of the carrier deck. I all too often sink during that turn and come in too low behind the ship. I should be about 350 ft but i usually come in at 250-300 and not “in the groove” at all.

Jabbers video should help you out a lot. Also, remember to anticipate that drop after the flaps are

fully deployed at half. High and fast is always preferred over low and slow.

Watch that vid! :thumbup:

Here is my rather sloppy trap from earlier today.

Modules: Well... all of 'em

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red

• 4 months later...
Pardon my ignorance, I'm still discovering what is in this sim. Are the carrier operations part of DCS 2.5 or is it in installed mod?

The CVN-74 Stennis is part of 2.5, there are a couple of 'Instant Action' CASE 1 and CASE 3 Carrier Landing Missions included with the Hornet but so far I've only landed on carriers I've placed in my own missions made in the editor.

What might confuse you re:mods is there are some optional user scripts and camera mods that add extra options for AI text player feedback ('you're high') and/or better views for a coop LSO, video editing, etc.

Edited by Ramsay
Hornet carrier landings are found in the 'Instant Action' missions.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

This who do not have their CILS turned on,

you really should, then you know where you are.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

Straight in and not a pattern approach, but at least I manage to fly the ball now. No. 3 wire!

Very poor landing...and keep in mind that this is CASE I, which is easiest one. And where is your TACAN and ILS?