How to Land the Dora

wolle

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it possible the hard runway, instead of softer grassy airfields have some say in this problem?

I think it would be the opposite. But IMO hard runway is less forgiving, when it comes to hard touchdown. I´ve read some article about FWs and it mentioned a lot of crashes due to "over flaring" the aircraft, hence stalling it a few meters over the runway surface and then slamming it hard on the runway or grass. The gear gets shock from the impact and throw You all over the place.

When I messed up my first landing I did something similar. I thought I´m descending too fast and tried to pull on the stick a little bit more........Dora sort of stopped midair and then fell on the runway. When I watched replay, I also had slight left bank. It was because of the sudden RPM change I made and the torgue effect messed my aircraft attitude. (Chlebakus also mentioned this). I think it´s better to touchdown further on the runway, than trying to put it down ASAP.

does anyone have tips for landing in the fields/terrain? i mean ordinary, grass terrain. I don't have any problems landing on runways, or taking off, or doing either in a crosswind, but trying to land on the grass it feels like i'm trying to put the plane down onto a bouncy castle or trampoline. without fail, immediately after touchdown the plane leaps back into the air, gets squirrely, slams back down, digs in and flips. i can't seem to do it even with slowmo. at first I thought the ground was sloped or bumpy, but it actually seems like it's pretty much smooth. i've tried flaps and no flaps, making sure i was touching down at near zero v/s (slowmo), touching down almost mid-stall - nothing works. every time one of the front gear digs in and the plane flips over after some bouncing around.

^^try to touch down as slow and smooth as possible.avoid any sideslip as this will get quickly out of control.keep the stick pulled back until you are close to or at full stop.make small rudder corrections and careful braking to stay straight while rolling out.staying straight is key to land in the fields.

Edited by 9./JG27 DavidRed

This is the same thing I am experiencing. I can get on the ground, that is not the issue.

I just took off for the first time in the Mustang last night. I actually started with the Dora. Anyway, I took off and landed on my first try with the Mustang and have ZERO issues taking off and landing with it....touch and go's....anything....no issues - from my very first attempt.

Something is wrong with the Dora landing algorithm. I don't know what it is, but something is a tad off.

Either way, I enjoy flying it.

On page 28 in this thread i suggest to look at these wheel dampers on DORA.

i think with them is something very wrong. you can see them sink in a lot when the plane comes down from repair. But when you load than a Bomb or a drop tank it just jerks a bit but the dampers didnt sink in, or only very very little. So this says to me there is no damping space left for landing or rough surface.

Compare it to the P51 or SU25....they undercarriage dampers works fine with every loadout.

i enjoy it too ...but the P51 a lot more in take off, flying and landing behaviour. SU25T seems also good simulated for me.

Edited by kubanloewe

WIN 10; i9-9900K@4,8GHz; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus;32GB Corsair DDR4 3600MHz; 2TB Samsung SSD; GeForce GTX1080 8GB Seahawk; 34" AW3418DW; MS FFB2 Stick

^^try to touch down as slow and smooth as possible.avoid any sideslip as this will get quickly out of control.keep the stick pulled back until you are close to or at full stop.make small rudder corrections and careful braking to stay straight while rolling out.staying straight is key to land in the fields.

thanks david, seems like i just needed to finesse the touchdown a little (actually a lot) more. still kind of rough but i'm not flipping over and blowing up, at least. EfdlYzRNeGU

Edited by 2wally

I started training on the Dora yesterday , couldn't get it to take off after about 20 tries

i thought at first maybe i`m missing some button for tail wheel steering....

anyways after i read a few pages i saw it said to check to make sure assisted take off is off .

indeed once i turned it off (it was 100) i could take off on first try ( a terrible take off but take off nonetheless)

i wonder how they (the Luftwaffe pilots) even trained for that...

IAF.Tomer

My Rig:

Core i7 6700K + Corsair Hydro H100i GTX

Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7,G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz

Gigabyte GTX 980 OC

Samsung 840EVO 250GB + 3xCrucial 275GB in RAID 0 (1500 MB/s)

Asus MG279Q | TM Warthog + Saitek Combat Pedals + TrackIR 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

For the tailwheel - when you pull the stick back you can lock it.

So if you are aligned on the runway put back the stick to go straight - just counter the torque with some rudder input.

At about 150 / 170 center the stick again so the tail can lift off the ground - rudder authority is high enough at such speeds to control the plane.

I started training on the Dora yesterday , couldn't get it to take off after about 20 tries

i thought at first maybe i`m missing some button for tail wheel steering....

anyways after i read a few pages i saw it said to check to make sure assisted take off is off .

indeed once i turned it off (it was 100) i could take off on first try ( a terrible take off but take off nonetheless)

i wonder how they (the Luftwaffe pilots) even trained for that...

For the tail dragger, it's important to lock tail wheel during taxiing, landing, take off.

With the Dora and Mustang, at slow speed below 20kmh: use differential braking. Therefore you must not use differential braking in taking off and landing. Just hold the stick back to lock tail wheel and steer with rudder.

If you do right, taking off is piece of cake.

Landing is a little more tricky. You should let the plane lands itself while holding stick back to lock tail wheel. But how to get this done ? It's simple, with the Dora, I do a approach at 220km/h, full flap, 40% fuel maximum. Before touching down I do a flare to reduce speed, keep the plane level 3-5m above the runway at 180-190km/h until it land itself with 3 wheels at the same time.

Flying taildragger is really fun. :pilotfly:

Landing isn't too much of a problem except for all the bouncing I do down the runway and the parts that go flying off the plane. The real problem is slowing down before the end of the runway!:lol:

MS Win7 Pro x64, Intel i7-6700K 4.0Ghz, Corsair RAM 16Gb,EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, w/ Adjustable RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-6286-KR, Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card, Corsair Neutron XTI 1TB SSD, TM Warthog Throttle & Stick, TM TPR Pedels, Oculus Rift VR Headset CV1, Klipsch Promedia 4.1 Speakers...

For me, setting down on the runway is not a problem - it's the over or under correction of the rudder as I try to keep things on the straight and narrow after touchdown. I can't avoid the sudden and violent swing that leaves me going slightly sideways before ripping off part of my wing. I guess I just need more practice :)

I get the argument that in RL pilots can 'feel' the g effect caused by such a shift in direction, and can perhaps predict or correct it quicker. Is there a way this can be added to the sim to help those of us simply stuck to a static chair and desk? Maybe some kind of cues, like small arrows that appear in the corners of the screen, whose size is relative to the g? Just a thought.

Fractal Define R4 Case | Core i7-9700K @ 4.9GHz| 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi | Gigabyte RTX3080 Gaming OC 12GB | 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (OS) | 1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (DCS) | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD (Steam library) | 1TB WD Caviar Black HDD | Corsair 750W Gold PSU | Corsair H60 Hydro Series CPU Cooler | [TrackIR 5 unused] | Meta Quest Pro | TM HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Win 10 Home 64-bit | Asus PG348Q 34" 3440x1440 Monitor | Bose Companion 3 2.1 Sound

• ED Team
For me, setting down on the runway is not a problem - it's the over or under correction of the rudder as I try to keep things on the straight and narrow after touchdown. I can't avoid the sudden and violent swing that leaves me going slightly sideways before ripping off part of my wing. I guess I just need more practice :)

I get the argument that in RL pilots can 'feel' the g effect caused by such a shift in direction, and can perhaps predict or correct it quicker. Is there a way this can be added to the sim to help those of us simply stuck to a static chair and desk? Maybe some kind of cues, like small arrows that appear in the corners of the screen, whose size is relative to the g? Just a thought.

You already have these cues - a ball and a turn indicator. Head movement (so called "natural") will help. But the first thing that helps is to use your visual perception and train skill to get acceleration info from its movement.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

........very nice:thumbup:

P-51, 190-D9, 109-K4, Spitfire MK IX, Normandy, and everything else:joystick:

i7 4770K, 4.3ghz, 32gb ram, Windows-10 Pro, Z87 Exstreme4, Corsair 850w psu, Samsung Evo 1T SSD & 250 SSD, Titan-X 12gb OC, Asus ROG Swift 27"/1440p/144hz/1ms monitor, Trackir 5, TM Warthog & 10cm extension, Saitek TPM, MFG crosswind pedals

For me, setting down on the runway is not a problem - it's the over or under correction of the rudder as I try to keep things on the straight and narrow after touchdown. I can't avoid the sudden and violent swing that leaves me going slightly sideways before ripping off part of my wing. I guess I just need more practice

Haaaaave you got Auto-Rudder turned off? If you don't, that could explain the overcorrections.

^^ :) well, i dont consider myself the right person to do tutorials on engagement techniques. and definitely not for the dora as i fly it only as a placeholder so to speak.tbh i dont consider myself the right person to do any tutorials at all.but especially dogfighting is such a complex subject, and there is not only one right way to do it. so no, i think ill stick with such useless videos as they are fun, and not as useless as they might seem.learning to do proper 2pointers for example helped me quite a couple of times to come home back safe with half a wing missing.

Oh David, I was expecting to see You tearing off the prop blades during the initial flight over the runway, followed by deadstick landing later. I am disappointed ;). You can do better than this :D :D :D.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

fürn anfang schau das dein approach speed etwas höher ist, klappen voll raus, je nach speed und höhe bei der schwelle oder schon davor schub auf idle. ab da willst du so knapp wie möglich über der piste "flaren".aber nicht allzu lange sonst kommst du automatisch in eine 3punkt landung lage.je geringer der abstand zwischen fahrwerk und piste desto besser.dann entweder einfach den stick "loslassen" oder leicht vor drücken.(mit loslassen meine ich nicht wirklich loslassen aber einfach keinen druck mehr ausüben=zentrieren)

du kannst auch zweipunktlandungen mit takeoff klappen oder auch ohne klappen machen, allerdings ist das etwas kniffliger und balloony's sind wahrscheinlicher.funktioniert also, aber da musst du das ganze noch sauberer fliegen.viell spaß beim üben...aja baloony=go around( es funktionert zwar auch nach nem balloony noch ne 2punkt landung durchzuführen, ist aber eher abzuraten)

for the beginning try a higher approach speed, full flaps, on threshold or slightly before(depending on speed and altitude) throttle to idle, try to flare it as close as possible towards the runway.dont flare to long though as this will force you into a 3point attitude.then just either release the stick or push it slightly forward(release=center the stick, do not take your hands off the stick)

its also possible to do 2pointers in all kind of configurations(take-off and clean flaps) but its a bit more tricky and you are more likely to balloony if your touchdown isnt smooth enough. balloony=go around(although you still can land the aircraft after a balloony in a 2point attitude, i wouldnt recommend it.

Edited by 9./JG27 DavidRed

fürn anfang schau das dein approach speed etwas höher ist, klappen voll raus, je nach speed und höhe bei der schwelle oder schon davor schub auf idle. ab da willst du so knapp wie möglich über der piste "flaren".aber nicht allzu lange sonst kommst du automatisch in eine 3punkt landung lage.je geringer der abstand zwischen fahrwerk und piste desto besser.dann entweder einfach den stick "loslassen" oder leicht vor drücken.(mit loslassen meine ich nicht wirklich loslassen aber einfach keinen druck mehr ausüben=zentrieren)

du kannst auch zweipunktlandungen mit takeoff klappen oder auch ohne klappen machen, allerdings ist das etwas kniffliger und balloony's sind wahrscheinlicher.funktioniert also, aber da musst du das ganze noch sauberer fliegen.viell spaß beim üben...aja baloony=go around( es funktionert zwar auch nach nem balloony noch ne 2punkt landung durchzuführen, ist aber eher abzuraten)

Now it is really easy to understand :megalol:

| I9 9900K | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO] |16 GB DDR4 HyperX 3466 MHz | SSD EVO 840 1 TB | MSI 2080TI GAMING X TRIO | ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27" 2560 X 1440 | TRACK IR 5 | THERMALTAKE CORE X9 | HOTAS WARTHOG |MFG CROSSWIND|