Alternate install locations for maps?

dooom

Heyo -

I only have 50GB left on my DCS SSD... does anyone have any tricks up their sleeve to install modules/terrain at alternate locations and point DCS to those drives?

Or am I stuck having to buy a 1TB drive and move everything over to future proof?

:helpsmilie:

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

thanks draconus... do you think this method will slow down any loading of terrain or modules if I move them? Also, would DCS try to reinstall the moved directories or will the mklink spoof it into thinking everything is still local?

thanks again.

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

Near full SSD's are very unhappy SSD's. The miniature computer in the drive uses very complex algorithms and clever firmware to ensure that wear is evenly distributed between all the cells. With only a small free space this becomes very difficult and the drive will slow down before eventually kicking the bucket early.

Its very different to old school spinning rust.

So yes, you should absolutely look at getting a bigger drive as rapid storage has become one of the most important factors in modern systems.

It needn't be anything expensive as gaming doesn't take advantage of the really high level stuff. Its just important to have the space.

i9 10900X & 5700XT

VPC WarBRD, TM F18C, VPC Alpha, VPC T50CM2 Throttle, TM TFRP Pedals, Oculus Rift S

thanks draconus... do you think this method will slow down any loading of terrain or modules if I move them? Also, would DCS try to reinstall the moved directories or will the mklink spoof it into thinking everything is still local?

It depends on the other drive - I hope it's not HDD - but the method itself does not slow down anything. System just treat it like if it was on the source drive. And don't worry about drive life :)

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria