FORMATION FLIGHT CHALLENGE server

GTFreeFlyer

If you play enough, you'll find the quickest, most efficient ways to land and save your score :)

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

Supercarrier Reference Kneeboards

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

Now on rotation: Warbirds version :)

Warbirds and Jets will alternate back and forth. WWII assets pack is currently required for the Warbirds version because the B-17 is the lead aircraft. This may or may not change in the future.

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

Some game play from this morning. Fully scripted coordination, no voice comms required :) Come join the fun!

I had to reset the Warbirds server to keep the B-17 as the Lead. I didn't want this because it requires the WWII asset pack, but it is the only Warbird that can currently stay aloft for more than a few hours in DCS. It isn't practical for me, or the server, to have an AI Lead plane with a short fuel endurance. I apologize for the inconvenience, and will replace the B-17 when DCS releases a new aircraft with a bigger fuel tank.

I will run the Jets version of this mission 2-3 times more often than Warbirds in order to keep you flying more in case you don't have the assets pack.

Also, in the future, I plan to have the Lead simply despawn and respawn, which should eliminate this fuel issue, but I haven't had the time to get around to that yet. It's seems easy to do, but I need to make sure it works well with the lua script that controls this mission, and that sort of testing takes time.

Thanks for your understanding :)

Happy to hear you’re planning to run the jets more often because, although I own nearly all DCS aircraft, I’ve been really wanting to try your server with the F-18 but I keep missing the jets nights!

Roger that. If there is ever a time where you want a different version and no one else is online, you can shoot me a message and I’ll switch the mission as soon as possible if I’m awake and available. I can do it remotely from my phone.

Hey Greg, the log showed you were in and saved your score of zero. Just FYI, you need to get out of the airspace ASAP when you're done. You stuck around and were losing all your points for not being in the slot before you exited the airspace.

Hey Greg, the log showed you were in and saved your score of zero. Just FYI, you need to get out of the airspace ASAP when you're done. You stuck around and were losing all your points for not being in the slot before you exited the airspace.

I did fly a bit last night and loved it. I was confused, though, about why I kept getting those messages—I thought I exited the airspace and headed directly to Sukhumi to land. Is it possible the lead was flying the same course without me even realizing it? I pretty much just exited and RTBed without paying any more attention to what the lead was doing.

Question to those of you that hop in regularly: I like to change up the weather every now and then. Would you be interested in nighttime formations once in a while? If no, then what if we did something like double points during nighttime?

New exponential bonus points system in place. Reap the rewards when completing formations with larger groups. Tell your friends to join in!

Capture.JPG.01144dd0dee72bd3797a7e6736805547.JPG

I didn't see any A10C airframes when I was checking out the descriptions and lists of airframes available. Are you planning on adding some?

Regards

John W

aka WarHog.

My Cockpit Build Pictures...

John Wall

My Arduino Sketches ... https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Dc0Wd9C5l3uY-cPj1iQD3iAEHY6EuHg?usp=sharing

WIN 10 Pro, i8-8700k @ 5.0ghz, ASUS Maximus x Code, 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram,

AIO Water Cooler, M.2 512GB NVMe,

500gb SSD, EVGA GTX 1080 ti (11gb), Sony 65” 4K Display

VPC MongoosT-50, TM Warthog Throttle, TRK IR 5.0, Slaw Viper Pedals

I didn't see any A10C airframes when I was checking out the descriptions and lists of airframes available. Are you planning on adding some?

It’s my favorite plane but no. They are too slow to keep up with the rest.

• 5 weeks later...

New feature added. You'll now get voice guidance to help you get into and maintain your slot position. For example, "higher", "lower", "come left", etc.

I'll be adding a feature soon to allow you to turn this on/off at will, but for now it is always enabled until I have a chance to get back to the script.

Enjoy, and let me know what you think.

Cheers.

Option now added to the F10 comms menu to enable/disable voice guidance. If enabled, you will receive voice guidance once you are within 300 meters of your slot. Also, if you are close enough to where you should be, you won't hear anything.

Hi, I flew this evening on your formation server, cool idea but I had a few questions. My call sign was Sparty 72. I took off and followed the instructions to get to the lead aircraft. At 7,000 feet I would have to have flown through some mountains! so I deviated higher. Then I found lead, was cleared into the formation. Medium line abreast right I think. Once I got settled in, it kept saying move left I did and it kept saying move left, so I raised up a little and when I was right over the B-1 it said Success!! 25 points. Following the instructions I would have collided with lead?? So, then it said go in loos trail, tried that for a while and then went back and landed. Doesn't seem to be any way to tell them I'm headed home? And last, after I landed and points were recorded, it said, check F10 menu? F10 is the map? So, some comments from a first time user. Also, 7,000 feet is a little low for jets, but you might use the same mission and change airplanes for props.

Hi, I flew this evening on your formation server, cool idea but I had a few questions. My call sign was Sparty 72. I took off and followed the instructions to get to the lead aircraft. At 7,000 feet I would have to have flown through some mountains! so I deviated higher. Then I found lead, was cleared into the formation. Medium line abreast right I think. Once I got settled in, it kept saying move left I did and it kept saying move left, so I raised up a little and when I was right over the B-1 it said Success!! 25 points. Following the instructions I would have collided with lead?? So, then it said go in loos trail, tried that for a while and then went back and landed. Doesn't seem to be any way to tell them I'm headed home? And last, after I landed and points were recorded, it said, check F10 menu? F10 is the map? So, some comments from a first time user. Also, 7,000 feet is a little low for jets, but you might use the same mission and change airplanes for props.

I’ll look to see why it was telling you to collide and see if I can replicate that. It should not have. The voice guidance is brand new, but it should be working together with the text cues in the upper right corner which have been bug free for a long time.

It took you into the mountains only because of bad timing. I reviewed the log. You and the Lead were far away from each other when you got airborne. The script gave you an intercept heading for an intercept point that was far away over the mountains based on the Lead's current heading, but then before reaching the mountains the Lead turned and you got a new intercept heading. You just happened to be crossing over the mountains before the Lead made his turn. Once you get the hang of the rectangular path the Lead flies, you'll be aware of the boundaries and anticipate his turns.

7000 feet is low for jets, yes, but you nailed it. It is also shared by the WW2 version. Also, the original intent was to fly low formations thru the valleys but that didn’t happen.

F10 menu is the radio menu. Open up the radio menu and choose the F10 option.

Currently there is no way to tell the script you are heading home. All you need to do is break out of formation then head back and land. You can takeoff a 2nd time and the script will pick right back up. I have been meaning to add an F10 menu option that you click to RTB, which will pause your score and give you vectors home, but never got around to it. You are only the 2nd person who has requested this, so I haven’t given it much priority. I’d like to throw it into the code eventually.

Thanks for the feedback! I really do appreciate it.

Edited by GTFreeFlyer

I flew this morning and tried to recreate it. No joy. It's working fine. However, I noticed that if I was moving all over the place and not being "stable" then I can see where you may have encountered this. The voice guidance repeats every 4 seconds. The script updates your position every 1 second. You can cover a lot of distance in 1 second if you are sliding all over the place. So, if you are too far to the right and are correcting to the left, you'll hear "come left". If you happen to be very close to your slot center point but still a little off to the right, and moving at a high rate to the left, and it just happens such that the "come left" voice guidance kicks in, well then it takes another 1 second until you hear the word "left" and by that time you might have already crossed over the center point.

Just be slow and smooth with formation flying. There's no need to do anything in a hurry. I'm sure if you crawl slowly into your slot, keeping your relative speed to the Lead slow, you'll hear the correct voice guidance.

I did change the voice guidance from every 4 seconds to 3 seconds this morning, just to give a little more information. Just remember, when you hear the "ding", you are in your slot's "bubble". The voice guidance will continue to help you get into the exact center, but you don't have to. As long as you are in the bubble, you are earning points. Once you hear the ding, memorize the sight-picture of your position relative to the lead and try to hold that. From there, you can SLOWLY creep into the exact center using the text and voice cues.

I hope these tips help. Keep at it and you'll be nailing the formations every 10 seconds, and you'll also find that you'll suddenly be able to air-refuel without breaking a sweat.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Cheers.

Today only! Korean War version is running. Sabres and MiG-15's only.

Edited by GTFreeFlyer

• 4 weeks later...