SEAD in non SEAD aircraft / improvised SEAD

paradoxbox

Anyone have any good sources, books or advice about performing SEAD missions in jets not meant for the role?

Specifically I'm thinking of something like A-10's, Mirage 2000C, etc. as this is the current limitation in DCS which I fly the most.

I have a book called Viper Pilot which is all about wild weaseling, fantastic book so far, but I would like to know more about how to deal with advanced sam sites without all of the fancy ECM gear wild weasel aircraft usually have.

Have a lot of trouble with SA-8's and SA-11's. There is one online server that has some SA-11's at a base near a mountain range, I figure terrain masking can be used to creep up to that one then fire mavericks and duck back behind a mountain, but another base has Rolands and SA-8's and the surrounding terrain is totally flat, there is nowhere to hide. The distance to the nearest mountain is too far for a dive toss / buddy lase too.

At the moment it can be killed with SU-25 anti radar missiles but I have enough aircraft and systems to learn and it feels weird shooting Russian equipment with Russian equipment. It also doesn't seem that realistic, that particular base is crawling with AAA and SAM's, in real life they'd turn the radars off the minute they saw an anti radar missile coming in..! Too easy with the anti-radiation missiles.

Thanks in advance!

The one thing this sandbox really needs is a modern, western built, SEAD capable aircraft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

GBU toss bombing and force correlating AGM 65s can produce some success in the Warthog against longer range SAM systems, if you know the target's exact location.

Use terrain to conceal yourself from enemy RADAR until you're within weapons range, then pop up, release weapons, and get the hell out of Dodge. :)

The one thing this sandbox really needs is a modern, western built, SEAD capable aircraft.

A role that the fa18 will fill :smilewink:

War is easy and is just like riding a bike. Except the bike is on fire and the ground is on fire and you are on fire and you realise you are in hell :joystick:

Fly extremely low and cluster bomb the hell out of them?

In your book Dan likes using cluster bombs most against sam's.

Not sure how low SA-8's, SA-11's & Roland's can target in the game.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you fly low and fast you can even Gun-Kill an SA-10 :D

But yeah, Force-Corrolate on the Mavs or flying over 20.000ft AGL for SA-19s

Modules: Well... all of 'em

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red

The thing that prompted me to post this thread was a pair of failed attacks in an A10 and an M2000C - both were flown at about 30 feet off the ground at relatively high speed.

I am guessing DCS SAM's are far able to lock onto targets flying far too low, I don't think they would have even been able to see me at that altitude in real life, but that's the hand we're dealt so I want to deal with it however I can.

Grunf if I tried a strike on this particular airfield like you did in that video they would pulverize me a million times before I even got close. The defenses are very strong there.

Maybe I need to start using more Maverick H's.

We have to see the full approach.

I don't know wich missile is in the Sa-3 from DCS:W but the minimum range 2.5-3.5 km and minimun altitude 20-100 meter.

So, I guess you could sneak in.

The S-125 system uses 2 different missile versions. The V-600 (or 5V24) had the smallest warhead with only 60 kg of high explosive. It had a range of about 15 km.

The later version is named V-601 (or 5V27). It has a length of 6.09 m, a wing span of 2.2 m and a body diameter of 0.375 m. This missile weighs 953 kg at launch, and has a 70 kg warhead containing 33 kg of HE and 4,500 fragments. The minimum range is 3.5 km, and the maximum is 35 km (with the Pechora 2A). The intercept altitudes are between 100 m and 18 km.[16]

The S-125M (1970) system uses 5V27. The intercept altitudes are between 20 m and 14 km. The minimum range is 2.5 km, and the maximum is 22 km[6][7] The S-125M1 (1978) system uses 5V27D. In the early 1980s established for each system 1-2 radar simulator (against antiradar missiles assigned)[7]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-125_Neva/Pechora

Fellas the best is ka50 and now teamed up with a Gazzelle for its rwr if you don't know location of Sam system. Ka50 is great kill tgts out to 9.8 kilometers. Plus it's fun as heck playing Sniper in Dcs world

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

In Gulf war the A-10As did DEAD (Destruction of Enemy Air Defenses - not SEAD), they needed to find and destroy SAMs units, I can't find the video where the pilot was saying that.. that's very interesting, even AH-64 Apache had to do that. However, it's a bit different of SEAD.

The radar was knocked out allready I guess? Just cleaning up the launchers.

Grunf if I tried a strike on this particular airfield like you did in that video they would pulverize me a million times before I even got close. The defenses are very strong there.

Maybe I need to start using more Maverick H's.

Which plane? I made another attempt, thist time with additional SA-6 along with the SA-3. Same result. :D

I then tried with A-10C, but couldn't make it. SA-6 got me. With SA-3 alone I was fine (actualy shot it with the gun :D).

http://imgur.com/a/fjeMH

With Ka-50, approaching SAM has to be done really low - max 10m. This limit has to be maintained when flying over hills or small ground cavity. As soon as you stick your head above ~10m even just for a moment, for instance due to the tree obstructing the view and preventing the lock, the SAM will fire.

For that reason it's already challenging to do DEAD in Ka-50 which is relatively easy to fly with while hogging the ground and in hover the pilot has all the time needed to prepare the weapon systems, get the lock and fire.

I've tried repeating it in A10C and it was just not manageable at least for me. Looking at the video of M2000 bombing I'm supprised that the SAM didn't fire. The only one reason might be that it didn't had time as the approach was shielded by the city blocks.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

With Ka-50, approaching SAM has to be done really low - max 10m. This limit has to be maintained when flying over hills or small ground cavity. As soon as you stick your head above ~10m even just for a moment, for instance due to the tree obstructing the view and preventing the lock, the SAM will fire.

For that reason it's already challenging to do DEAD in Ka-50 which is relatively easy to fly with while hogging the ground and in hover the pilot has all the time needed to prepare the weapon systems, get the lock and fire.

I've tried repeating it in A10C and it was just not manageable at least for me. Looking at the video of M2000 bombing I'm supprised that the SAM didn't fire. The only one reason might be that it didn't had time as the approach was shielded by the city blocks.

It's really easy in the A-10C, did it on the last blueflag round, fire off a mav, get outta there.

5900X - 32 GB 3600 RAM - 1080TI

My Twitch Channel

~Moo

I've managed to hit SA-11 with a single GBU-16 drop from Mirage-2000C at the distance of 25nmi (supersonic toss bombing at 30k--->40k feet), this distance is enough to engage many SAM systems:

SA-3, SA-6, SA-8, SA-11, SA-13, SA-15, SA-19, and even SA-22 (if it will ever be modelled)

but you will need a JTAC near the target for that :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]