DCS cameras, views and video recording

Bucic

Mate in that thread stands nothing about changing the lua only about, trying to change the perspective :D thanks anyway

There's a dozen of occurences of server.lua and view.lua files there.

Here's another one. Courtesy of The Mighty Duck :)

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=server.lua+f4+custom+camera

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=40004

• 3 weeks later...

Bo-cheeeeech!!!!

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 4 weeks later...
Wrong again.

When using any static camera (F2, F4, LCtrl+F4, F5, LCtrl+F5...) press LeftAlt+F2 and you will unlock the camera from it's default position in space, thus allowing translation of camera position away from default center position - Look in the direction you want to move away and press zoom-in command. Pressing LeftAlt+F2 again will lock the camera into current position.

To reset the camera to the default position, unlock it and press Num5, then lock it if needed, or move it as you wish again.

Only problem is that I don't know how to make it do it "by default" when you start the game, instead of setting it up with every new session.

There was mods in FC2 that unlocked camera so it could even go below ground level... So - everything is possible and it can be done.

If you need a video tutorial, let me know - I will make you one.

I don't know whether this is already included.

Please speak up if you know any of the '???' Please differentiate between LCtrl vs RCtrl etc. if you provide key commands.

There may be blokes out there not familiar with the possibilities DCS gives to moviemakers. Here's a quick introduction. Maybe someone puts together another fan-made promo. I wrote this with Mysticpuma in mind but there's no reason not to post it for everyone.

Hi there!

I haven't played DCS in years but back in the days these were true (few useful, general tips, not exhaustive!):

1. DCS has well documented camera control key commands. They used to be shipped with the game in a RTF file named key commands and can be found ... ???. Most camera controls are spread across F1 through F12 and Numpad.
  2. There are controls for moving camera in/out (often confused with zoom) "Num*" / "Num/" as well as for changing FOV (Field of View) "RCtrl - Num*" / "RCtrl - Num/"
  3. LShift makes some camera actions faster while LCtrl - slower.
  4. LCtrl - F11 free camera - you can place the camera >anywhere< or even fly it.
  5. LCtrl - F11 camera can LOCK on an object - 'Numpad .' This way you can make an 'airshow camera'.
  6. You can reverse direction of the current view back and forth using ??? key command. (I'm guessing it's LCtrl + [function key for the view])
  7. You can cycle through objects in various views, plus some "enemy", "own" etc. filters.
  8. Do not use camera jitter enabled in-game for video rendering in the Record AVI tool! For normal recording with e.g. FRAPS do some tests to see whether the jittering doesn't introduce animation choppiness.
  9. Lock another plane with F5 (external) and use Numpad arrows to get extraordinary, dynamic angles! May work in other views.
  10. You can edit the F4 camera (??? link to tutorial) to be attached anywhere on the plane and directed at any angle. You can even place in front of an aircraft, point it forward and use it as a flying camera.
  11. The cockpit 6DOF camera also has controls for free placement anywhere in the cockpit when TrackIR is not used. This includes far upper right corner of the cockpit :) Hold Middle mouse button to move about the cockpit. (only in one (vertical-lateral???) plane and use "RCtrl - RShift - Num*" / "RCtrl - RShift - Num/" Cockpit Camera Move Forward/Back to get control 'over the missing dimension'
  12. There's a camera flying with a weapon once the weapon goes off. Key command is *"RCtrl - Num+" *Camera ordnance tracking.

13. DCS and FC series have a tool rendering videos from replay (trk) files. It does not happen in real-time so you can render a 60 FPS video from insane in-game settings on a slow PC. For more see http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=53839 There's A LOT of info regarding video compression for preserving maximum possible quality in the thread as well. Worth reading BEFORE you shoot your scenes. WARNING: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1907747&postcount=14
  14. Get crisp-clear textures in-game without any FPS hit - often overlooked. See point No. 2 here http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=884734#post884734
  15. Cockpit view can be controlled with mouse. To switch between operating switches and mouselook... Use RAlt C
  16. Show the pilot http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1879998&postcount=195
  17. To get your camera very close to the ground you need to disable the camera ground limitation ???
  18. "RCtrl - Enter" - Controls indicator - it shows positions of all of the aircraft controls (rudder, stick etc) as an overlay. Invaluable for training videos!

Keep in mind that some things used in one view may work in other views (see the F5 example).

EDIT:

Regarding #11:

Thanks to other forum members for supplementing information and corrections! :thumbup:

good post, I always wanted ED to implement a Hollywood style automated camera script added into the sim.

=action cam that switches views and cycles through air and ground action.

• 7 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

___________CUSTOM_SNAP-VIEWS

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=140494

See Message #4 (I just updated this with an edit today.)

EDIT : September 20, 2015

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Added this to my thread above, my new Message #5.

==================================

See Message #3 here:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=105224

Edited by DieHard

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Kind of on the subject. Here's an actual FOV (horizontal) for my 22" display vs distance of my eyes from the screen.

http://wolfr.am/4aFE1L5~

Replace the 0.487 with the width of your display. This may be helpful https://www.sven.de/dpi/

Narrowed down

plot 2*atan(0.5*0.487/x)*180/pi, x(0.5;0.6), y(0;60)

Hint:

If your in-game FOV is greater than the actual FOV for your display setup you'll get distorted geometry, a kind of fish eye effect. In practice at least slightly increased FOV is always used as the actual FOV tends to really limit the visible part of the game world.

Edited by Bucic

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a way to place a "hovering camera" in DCS that is placed in a desired altitude and

controlled with mouse to look around in multiplayer? A camera available to use by all clients in a server to have a look at a virtual airshow (drone like) or a 1 vs 1 dogfight?

335th_GREros

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is there a way to place a "hovering camera" in DCS that is placed in a desired altitude and

controlled with mouse to look around in multiplayer? A camera available to use by all clients in a server to have a look at a virtual airshow (drone like) or a 1 vs 1 dogfight?

I'd set up a unique object on the ground (e.g. a MANPAD) and anyone could view it and from there detach the camera to the F11 free view. The movement speed and acceleration can be both tweaked to provide much more elegant movement compared to the defaults.

+1 for sticky

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, there are exists such way. But probably not easiest way - tons of code, scripting, testing and still it`s bugy.

Check taxing intro in our display. I called this camera "bullet time camera" :D

my favorite moment here

Edited by BR=55=Sevas

A tip:

The kinematics (e.g. floating and jitter) of some of the cameras are described in config files and the parameters can be altered dramatically.

EDIT:

LCtrl and other modifier keys provide alternative modes of a given camera. For example, F1 is cockpit view while LCtrl+F1 iscocpit view with natural pilot's head movement. It is worth trying with the head G effects enabled in game settings.

Edited by Bucic

• 4 months later...
Added new info to my Message #33, this thread.

Actually the added link is an old thread with good info that still works.

See Message #3

===========

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=105224

It's a good contribution, so whatever method you prefer :thumbup:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I'm looking for a way to track bombs/missiles from the Ctrl+F11 free camera, much like how Ctrl+F3 will lock on to an aircraft. "Num ." will lock on to flares but won't lock on to bombs for me. Any ideas?

No idea, sorry. Try going to options-controls-search and type FREE. Also WEAPON in all view related subcategories. If there's nothing that would help you, I'd consider posting a bug report.

Two snippets from my first Dora flights. Unedited, only built-in cameras used. Effects visible only at 60 FPS.

LShift+J to cycle through camera jitter modes (porks track recording)

LAlt+F2 to alter F2 camera pivot point

RCtrl+Num * to decrease field of view slightly (it's called 'angle' in view.lua BTW)

w8HzgtUKr1Y

CMUtbjpkujg

For later

Head movement

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=152509

Edited by Bucic

Hey old friend (boocheech :) long time no see! Welcome back!

Sent from my SM-T231 using Tapatalk

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Wow thank you. This thread is just what I needed!

I'm wanting to record some highlights from training flights and this will help me immensely with the cameras and views.

Could I ask if it's better to record with enhancements like HDR, lense effect, DOF etc off and then do all that sort of stuff post edit?

Thanks!

• Like 1

My Hangar: P-51D Mustang - KA-50 Blackshark - A-10C Warthog - F-86F Sabre - FC3 - Combined Arms - UH-1H

My Flying Adventures: www.dcs-pilot.com :pilotfly:

Wow thank you. This thread is just what I needed!

I'm wanting to record some highlights from training flights and this will help me immensely with the cameras and views.

Could I ask if it's better to record with enhancements like HDR, lense effect, DOF etc off and then do all that sort of stuff post edit?

Thanks!

Make sure you explore all the cockpit view options as well then. And remember. If a modifier (e.g. jitter ) works with one camera it might as well work with the other cameras. I'd also try numpad arrows etc. in each and every view you explore, including those you are seemingly locked onto something (e.g. F5).

As for the special effects. Why don't you record two similar short stints and compare? Personally, since the ridiculous gloom-rather-tham-hdr is gone with 1.5, I don't mind the post effects.

Two additional tips:

- as with everything else, the new effects are probably also controlled via parameters in view.lua

- high sensitivity mouse camera moves look terrible; sensitivity can be adjusted but I'm pretty sure view.lua contains provisions for camera inertia as well

Sorry for repeating the same /lie/ but EDIT: LINE! Damn autocorrect :)

camera jitter may brake track recording/replay

Edited by Bucic