Binding view to a joystick.

James DeSouza

I have the T1600m HOTAS, and I like using the joystick on the throttle more than a hat. However using the joystick means that your view is set to the value of the joystick.

Is there any way I can rebind this, to make it work more like the joystick on a console game (ie the joystick moves your view in the direction it's held and no input means stationary view)?

Certainly, the difference is between 'absolute' and 'relative'. With the Thrustmaster software you can change the joysticks to have a change of output relative to the displacement from center. Then bind this to the absolute axis binding option.

MapAxis(&Throttle, SCY, DX_YROT_AXIS, AXIS_REVERSED, MAP_RELATIVE);

Something like that.

I tried to create a custom bind directly to the relative motion icommand and it worked but very poorly.

How would I go about binding that? I see no option to type anything in to the bindings settings, except for the modifier section but putting that in the modifier section didnt work.

I am pretty stupid so you will have to baby me along.

Figured out how to set it to relative in the thrustmaster editor at least. Do I need to have the editor permanently open for it to stay set like that (I have kept it open, just wondering).

Well I figured out that you need to have the profile running through TARGET for it to work, which did actually give me the movement I want.

However there is a problem that TARGET is collapsing my joystick and throttle into one "virtual device" and there is not enough axis for it.

Which makes me wonder how people using pedals and the dual throttle things like the Warthog can get this to work. Can you stop it from collapsing your devices? As far as I can see you cant have it run two different profiles at once.

Oh never mind, just my idiocy hitting me again. I dont actually need the stick to be part of the profile so I dont have a problem with numbers of axis.

One odd thing I notice actually, the TARGET software thinks the topmost HAT on the throttle is a 4 way HAT when in reality it is 8 way.

I wonder why. It's the right throttle...

This is pretty good then. Everything seems to be working as intended except for occasional random snapping.

Edited by James De'Souza

However there is a problem that TARGET is collapsing my joystick and throttle into one "virtual device" and there is not enough axis for it.

TARGET 'virtual device' support 8 axes, T.16000M FCS stick has 3 and WCS throttle 5 axes, so unless you have an TFRP or TPR pedals together all axes should be usable.

If have TFRP or TPR pedals need exclude then from 'virtual device'.

TARGET 'virtual device' support 8 axes, T.16000M FCS stick has 3 and WCS throttle 5 axes, so unless you have an TFRP or TPR pedals together all axes should be usable.

If have TFRP or TPR pedals need exclude then from 'virtual device'.

I dont actually have the pedals, but for some reason the program treats the throttle as if it is one and the same as the pedals and they're both selected when you only select the throttle and they're both within the same "control unit"

Anyway no, not enough axis.

Stick has 4 X, Y, Z and Throttle.

Throttle has Throttle, pinky rotator, X, Y and Z

If you are using target you Will indeed have to leave out (or program on some other way) One of your Axis. But I don't think you Will have to use target at all. In DCS under Axis you should have options for both relative and absolute Axis to bind INTO view Control.

If you are using target you Will indeed have to leave out (or program on some other way) One of your Axis. But I don't think you Will have to use target at all. In DCS under Axis you should have options for both relative and absolute Axis to bind INTO view Control.

No. There's only absolute view controls and a set of "camera controls" which would be good for what I want but you can only bind the mouse to those.

No relative view controls or tick box for relative axis controls, at least in my game.

You can tell TARGET to only enable the axis you need. Since you don't have the rudder pedals connected to your throttle, just don't enable the rudder axis. You can map any T.16000 HOTAS axis to any DirectX axis using the MapAxis() command, or if you are using the TARGET GUI, there is a similar capability where you have to select the axis you want to use. In fact, in the TARGET scripting editor, if you don't enable it on purpose, the axis doesn't work. But in the GUI, you might have just enabled them all and not realized it.

• 1 year later...
Can you stop it from collapsing your devices? As far as I can see you cant have it run two different profiles at once.

I'm late to the chat but , one easy way to prevent Target from hiding physical stick when a script start is to rename "DeviceManagementApp.exe" in /Thrustmaster/TARGET/x64.

Or, use Joystick Gremlin which doesn't hide physical device.

There are commands in the TARGET script which allow this:

Configure(&Joystick, MODE_EXCLUDED);

for example will keep the joystick device non-collapsed. By default all devices are collapsed. There is another mode I think called KEEP_ENABLED which allows the device to be both collapsed and non-collapsed simultaneously, effectively duplicating it.