<51>SERVER - How do I start the engines?

Frostie

Hi guys,

I'm glad, that there are so many new pilots, since ED startet the sales on steam. :) And don't forget: we all startet as noobs. ;)

On servers with Modman:

Why don't you fade in a text message with a short hint?

+ "Hello and welcome. You can choose only planes, you bought. You can start your plane with [shortcut]. Rules: ..."

regards,

Fire

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

To my knowledge there is no training specific server and bearing in mind the cost that I have to stump up just for the VA server I would be amazed if anyone put one up.

Thats ED's job really, if it is even a job.

I don't really mind them. Taking the time out to answer questions isn't that bad, but of course sometimes the best answer is read the manual.

Would it be feasible to have rookie slots in missions? Example, a bunch of Su-25T's that receive a triggered, repeating message that displays controls for engine start and how to find targets. These planes can be designated by name in the aircraft list, in the briefing, and in pop up messages.

Last night we had some good activity on the server and a bunch of new people to fly against. Of course most chose the air start aircraft but it was still hours of good fun. If the steam route brings in ANY new flyers I think it's a win for the community.

Perhaps y'all could edit and run a couple missions for a while (during what we all hope will be a short time period) that will have slots labeled for "steam" newcomers. These slots would be air starts in which they would start out flying with a less complicated loadout for them to use, thus letting the sim-fever work itself out? The ones that catch it would come over to the darkside, and the ones that don't...fvck em.

Edited by BadK

BadK

MSI Z270 Gaming M7

Core I7 7700K @ 5.0 GHz

MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming Trio

Corsair Vengence DDR4 2666 32GB

Corsair LE SSD 960GB

Corsair HX 650W

Corsair H100i v2

Corsair 460X Case

Windows 10 Pro 64

CH Products (FS, PT, PP)

Oculus CV1

Great idea except that having those isolated "slots" doesn't prevent them from spamming the normal chat- where most people are expecting to see either mission related interaction or scripted messages.

Last couple slmod chat logs I looked through was 95% some steamer blathering on endlessly and everyone else doing their very best to put up with him.

Not cool for anyone- and even my most passionate regulars were reduced to behavior that I'm not even proud of.

So now, I go through the logs and anyone who says anything like "How do I fly" or "How do I play?" are being banned. I don't even care to think twice about it anymore.

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

...just in case you get tired to swing each day the ban-hammer , please have a look again at this:

>>> Keyboard controls for the Su-25T listed inside the Kneeboard

So now, I go through the logs and anyone who says anything like "How do I fly" or "How do I play?" are being banned. I don't even care to think twice about it anymore.

Edited by PeterP
  • Like 1

You know how this all could be fixed.

Start by placing CONTROL OPTIONS option when pressing ESC in game. And to make it that you can change your controls on the fly.

As a new starter a lot of years ago i could not understand why i could not change my key combinations in game. Any other game i could. But with FC and DCS now you have to jump from MP to the lobby and back to DCS world single player.

In the beginning i was like these new players as well in regards to jump online straight away. But that was because i thought i could check and edit all the controls in game.

Also in the MP lobby after joining the server only the planes you are able to fly should be clickable.

Two simple solutions that can decrease a lot of frustration.

* Make the controls accessible/editable in game when playing.

* Make the modules/planes only available to select in the MP Lobby when the player is able to fly them.

Edited by winchesterdelta1
  • Like 1

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.

^THIS!! So much this!

Not being able to change controls ingame is a huge design flaw. This is just some big noobfilter that shouldn't be there in the first place. The biggest problem getting other people into DCS for me are controls. Doing something in the A10C with a noob is not the problem, setting someones HOTAS up is.

I think setting controls up took me around 3 days, everytime I learned something I noticed that control X was missing or should be placed somewhere else.

Yup. learning the game wasn't the big frustration.. But setting up the controls in a easy way was.

It went something like this when i first started.

* Installed and started the game.

* Checked the video options and controls.

* No clue on where all the controls are supposed to be on the HOTAS so started up Single player.

* Once in SP. Ow hmm maybe i should edit the controls now, now i understand a little bit more about it.

* Pressed ESCAPE. After several minutes of looking around and trying some key combinations. Shit no CONTROL options in game.

* Go out of single player and setup some of the key's.

* Go back to single player. Setup some key's again. Do this 10 more times.

* Ok all keys are setup. Let’s jump into MP.

* Once in MP you realize most buttons should be relocated because the first time configuration of the controls did not make sense at all (I was a Noob. So don't blame me). And even new functions you did not know about or did not know their importance are not added or configured correctly (Thanks to the helpfull MP people i found out about alot of new stuff).

* So exit MP back to lobby. Exit MP back to Single Player. Go to controls. Change controls. Go back to MP and repeat it 20 more times till you are satisfied.

- After doing this 100 of times after re-installing or corruptions and such i finally know it from memory. Until some dam key combinations have been edited or added.

- Same for finding out the best video settings.

My computer isn't a super-fast monster beast. So imagine how much i had to wait in between changing controls at the main menu and testing them out in game and going back and forth.

Edited by winchesterdelta1

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.

yesterday I was flying in a server, and there was some newbie who came online. Apparently, he didn't know how to start the engine. So, no surprise, he started to ask the question in chat. Told him to Atl-F4 and RTFM. Bu no sir, he wanted someone to spoonfeed him.

Meantime a squad member of that sever was kind enough to tell him the TS IP address and asked him to join. Now these two were talking on TS I believe (I wasn't on TS at that time) and this Captain Clueless wrote in chat that he can't understand English speak and server squad member should write in chat. At that time the member was busy in ground attack so obviously it is hard to do both at the sametime. So Captain Clueless start to spam stuff like "pleaseeeee...", "helpppppp...." etc etc. in chat.

Sure, everyone asks questions once a while on chat but this was just pushing the limits.

This space is available for your advertisement

Soo true.

had one in the firehouse server the other night.

I simply suggested he visit a server that says free flight. Usually people in those are easier to get help from and aren't saving the world. :pilotfly:

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

My opinion regarding the recent flood of new players - I think we should all be a little more compassionate to newcomers to this sim, no matter how irritating it can be when they're asking simple questions over and over, it will be our own fault if we drive new blood away and are left with our little 'niche' of players complaining about how dead the MP scene is....so come on guys, lets show some love :D

This.

Great idea except that having those isolated "slots" doesn't prevent them from spamming the normal chat- where most people are expecting to see either mission related interaction or scripted messages.

Last couple slmod chat logs I looked through was 95% some steamer blathering on endlessly and everyone else doing their very best to put up with him.

Not cool for anyone- and even my most passionate regulars were reduced to behavior that I'm not even proud of.

Thats' a brilliant way to drive away new players.

Congratulations.

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Thats' a brilliant way to drive away new players.

Congratulations.

I am sorry to say this, but on his equipment that runs on his expenses, he may do whatever he wants. You cannot accuse someone of driving away new players, only because he is protecting his regular players.

And Why he should be responsible of bringing new players if he doesnt want to?

ED and others who need new players should do something if they want, and dont throw the ball to others people.

And do not get me wrong. Look it that way: It is like you play a good football match with your old friends and some new people come, get inside your field (you let them get inside)

but instead of leaving you play your game they start asking: HEY dude!! How do I kick this round thing?!! Some of your friends will answer, but others will just quit and go have some beers at the bar..

Edited by TaliG

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TaliG - 373vFS

“Do not repeat the tactics which have gained you one victory, but let your methods be regulated by the infinite variety of circumstances.”

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Look it that way: It is like you play a good football match with your old friends and some new people come, get inside your field (you let them get inside)

but instead of leaning you play your game they start asking: HEY dude!! How do I kick this round thing?!! Some of your friends will answer, but others will just quit and go have some beers at the bar..

Truly a fantastic analogy :thumbup:

Would be nice to have a dialog box when they first launch the software that says something to the effect of, "Welcome to DCS World! To fully enjoy this product it is HIGHLY recommended to go through the initial training tutorials."

And do not get me wrong. Look it that way: It is like you play a good football match with your old friends and some new people come, get inside your field (you let them get inside)

but instead of leaving you play your game they start asking: HEY dude!! How do I kick this round thing?!! Some of your friends will answer, but others will just quit and go have some beers at the bar..

Not really. If they would join Eno's teamspeak I guess Eno and his friends would like to help them. But only via ingamechat it's very uncomfortable...

Maybe in future the loading screen of flaming cliffs module should show their default key mapping.

Read the friken manual... RTFM

its not bf3

Period

Regular server hosts should have rotating passwords loged in TS

If anyone wants to use alternative ts fine.... but at least this way you would drive players to ts and it would stop r minimalize the chat spam