DCS P-51D QUESTIONS

Peyoteros

Hi! When using the tail warning radar I noticed that it behaves in a weird way. The bell rings randomly even when there is no aircraft behind me and even when my aircraft is nose down, so it doesn't come from the reflection of the radar waves coming from the ground. Is it me or it just doesn't work right?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

How high are you flying and how low you put your nose down? It seems that radar cone is quite wide actually. Fly level and straight hundreds of feet above the ground and the alarm rings like crazy, you have to point the plane down quite steeply to make the alarm shut up :D. I feel the effect is a bit too strong indeed. I seem to recall a drawing from P-47 manual suggesting that radar cone of APS-13 was about +/- 30 degrees or something, with efficient range slightly above 1000 ft?. "Our" unit in DCS seems to be much more effective and I'd say maybe it should be adjusted somewhat in upcoming patches.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

How high are you flying and how low you put your nose down? It seems that radar cone is quite wide actually. Fly level and straight hundreds of feet above the ground and the alarm rings like crazy, you have to point the plane down quite steeply to make the alarm shut up :D. I feel the effect is a bit too strong indeed. I seem to recall a drawing from P-47 manual suggesting that radar cone of APS-13 was about +/- 30 degrees or something, with efficient range slightly above 1000 ft?. "Our" unit in DCS seems to be much more effective and I'd say maybe it should be adjusted somewhat in upcoming patches.

I don't know what's weird about it is that I can't seem to predict whether the bell is going to ring or not. It rings when the aircraft is horizontal and stops when I start to climb or descent.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi, guys!

Question for you, how do the pilots navigate in the P-51D like finding their way to the enemy target and back? Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

They are well prepared, they study their route before they start flying.

The target area is known before the flight starts and a route is calculated.

The pilot searchs reference points on the map that are easy to see from up there like sea, lakes, rivers, cities, mountains, airfields, forests etc. and creates the route using as many as possibile of those.

He then calculates how long (in time) he must fly into a given direction with a given flight speed to reach e.g. waypoint 2 from waypoint 1.

For example: From 1 to 2 -> 340°, distance is 70 miles and pilot wants to fly with with 350 mph TAS (5.8 miles per minute) -> pilot must fly 12 minutes.

Only problem is that the instruments only show IAS (Indicated Air Speed) and not TAS (True Air Speed) but theres a 'rule-of-thumb' to calculate: TAS = IAS + (2% of IAS per 1.000feet ASL (Above Sea Level)).

So if our pilots wants to fly at a heigh of 15.000feet from wp 1 to 2 he must fly 270 IAS (whereas TAS then will be around 350).

So all it takes is training and knownledge, theres no built in navigation help :D

But in DCS you can use your kneepad map and the function to mark your own position on it (there is a assignable button for it). This will make navigation pretty easy but its less realistic.

Edit: In the real P-51D you also could have used the Homing Adapter (right side near the radio device) which can receive a signal from another Homing Adapter (e.g. friendly aircrafts in the area) or transmit such a signal. It will then indicate if your flying towards the signals origin or if you must correct to left or right. However the Homing Adapter is currently NOT IMPLEMENTED in DCS :)

Edited by Zabuza

Page 118 of the P-51D flight manual.

Find it under Start/All Programs/Eagle Dynamics/DCS World/Documentation.

Here is a video of the exact startup procedure.

Edited by Mike Busutil

Hi, guys!

The oil temperature is at 100 degrees C. or more. Maybe that is why the P-51D engine won't start. I don't know what to do if the oil temperature gets too hot. Any ideas on how to get the oil temperature down? Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

Not that I'm an expert by any means but opening the radiator air valve for oil should help quite a bit. Press and hold LAlt-S for a few seconds. Pressing and holding LCtrl-S for a few seconds closes it again. I assume you're talking about a mid-air restart.
Edited by kontiuka

Hi, guys!

I was talking about starting the engine on the ground. It is strange. After I fly for about 40-50 minutes at 61 MP, the engine still runs fine, after once I got back on the ground, shut the engine down, start the engine a few more times, then the engine won't start anymore I think it is due to oil temperature being too high,I let the oil tempature cool for a little while, when I start the engine again, the oil temperature goes way up, and of course the engine didn't start. Where is the radiator air valve located, and how do I keep the oil temperature in normal range? Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincent

With 46" being max continuous MAP setting and 42" max cruise, don't you think flying happily around 50 minutes with 61" takeoff power, on the verge of overheating and expecting the engine to "start a few times" is a bit too much :D? Propeller slipstream on idle RPM is insufficient to cool down water and oil even with radiators opened, because of insufficient airflow.

To help avoid such a problem, I can only recommend doing what instructor says in landing tutorial mission - after taxying switch to manual mode for both radiators, set them wide open, keep the engine running @ 1500RPM for some time to cool everything down and then turn the engine off. Actually, If you're such a hot-rod pilot, I'd say open the radiators even earlier, oil looses temp waaaay slower then water.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

The control for it is right above the rudder trim knob. You actually have to hold the switch for a few seconds to open the valve all the way.

The radiators themself are located in the airscoop underneath the fuselage of the stang. Take a look in the manual of the P-51D its very very deepl explained there.

I'm sure this has already been asked so I apologise for being repetitive, but what is the official stance on 150 octane fuel for the Mustang? As far as I know it is not implemented, right? So given its main opponent is the D-9, is it something that will be added?

Thanks,

Aussie

Edited by AussieGhost789

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have been doing better and better and was on the 10th campaign and I dont know

what happened but all of a sudden it said I was dead !!! Now I have to start

all the whole thing over again ???? Is there a way to change this ???

********** EDIT *********

Well I re-did the missions over, and no matter what I do, even hold

right shift S {which is not fun to do with the left hand while holding the joystick with right hand) to have

my supercharger on.....I try to circle around and gain altitude, and it just seems like it does not want

to do it. I have no idea what I am doing, but at least now I have it set up where I wont die.

I appreciated the help with that very much.

Edited by ctguy1955

I have been doing better and better and was on the 10th campaign and I dont know

what happened but all of a sudden it said I was dead !!! Now I have to start

all the whole thing over again ???? Is there a way to change this ???

I now know how to use my super charger to reach the 10th mission green square

that I was not able to gain altitude to reach before and I sure dont

want to have to re-do every mission again.

Thanks for any help with this !

Take a look in your logbook (accessable from main menu), if your pilot was not set to invincible and you die in a mission your virtual pilot is dead, if so you need to create a new profile and everything achieved with the dead one is lost, so make sure you hit the invincible button if that caused your problem.

If you can't access the 10th mission anymore you can of course load it into the mission editor and start the mission from there!

It's located here:

"E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircrafts\P-51D\Missions\EN\Campaigns"

Hope that helped :)

Take a look in your logbook (accessable from main menu), if your pilot was not set to invincible and you die in a mission your virtual pilot is dead, if so you need to create a new profile and everything achieved with the dead one is lost, so make sure you hit the invincible button if that caused your problem.

If you can't access the 10th mission anymore you can of course load it into the mission editor and start the mission from there!

It's located here:

"E:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircrafts\P-51D\Missions\EN\Campaigns"

Hope that helped :)

Thank You very much for the help ! I appreciate it very much.

I had been playing in game mode for my whole DCS experience and thought that I was doing

so well. I could finally land and take off and was doing the campaigns and every thing was

going so well, I invested in a new X52 hotas system and then something happened.

I went onto a online multiplayer site and when I took off down the runway, as soon as

I went to lift off the ground, my P-51 flipped over and I crashed. I tried about 6 times

and no matter how slow I went holding the stick back to keep the tail on the ground, the

same thing happened. Now I've gone and read a whole bunch more and now the same

thing is happening over and over in single player. After thinking I was ok, this is now

very frustrating for me. My new stick is not really set up very well, but the basics can

be done using the mouse for setup and I am now lost as to what to do anymore. I really

dont want to go back to game mode, and I know about the torque at high manifold pressure

and I even did an adjustment to my rudder axis commands to make them not as unstable.

Anyone have any advice for me ???? Thank You.

Edited by ctguy1955