Case 1 Trim after gear down, first, or after both gear and flaps?

Oban

Okay, I'm getting better at my case 1's but as always this massive pitch down effect when dropping full flaps irks me.

By the book says drop the gear at 250, and then full flaps.. I get a massive pitch down effect this way. I'm trying to avoid this and then trying to set pitch right with trim, by this time I'm normally < 200 knots.

Everything is sweet when I can get her settled around 125-140 knots depending on fuel.

Any pointers to avoid this massive pitch down, and I've read in several places now this effect isn't accurate either?

AMD Ryzen 9 7845HX with Radeon Graphics           3.00 GHz

32 GB RAM

2 TB SSD

RTX 4070 8GB

Windows 11 64 bit

Pull back on the stick. Until you get the jet trimmed on-speed you’re gonna need some back pressure to either stay straight and level or control your descent to 600ft. As you bring in the trim is when you start releasing the back pressure until she’s on-speed.

In my experience the pitch down moment is much less pronounced that it was at launch. It feels like you have an eternity now to catch it. Practice and you’ll get the rhythm down.

also use the throttle.

you know dropping gear and flaps is going to increase drag so increase throttle to compensate.

to keep the nose up. then when you have it on speed, reduce throttle to control rate of descent.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

I must have watched Wags and Lex video on case 1 recovery 50 times. But using the VFA-113 Stingers LSO carrier Quals mission really helped me to nail getting the on speed AOA in those few seconds from coming out of the break onto the 180 to hearing the LSO paddles contact. Repetition had me hitting the altitudes, bank angle off the 180, flying AOA to the 90 and wings level in the groove.

But I spent days going so long in the groove I kept two Sidewinders ready for that damn Airbus that kept cutting me off!

Thanks Stingers.

If artillery is the finger of God, then fast air is Gods hammer.

To manage your trim, you could use my mod :

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3300978/

It adds a new scale on the pitch axis of the controls indicator and changes the trim index color to white, in order to appreciate the amount of trimming which is needed during landing...

excellent Mod! I've been using it for the last week or so. thanks! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Okay, I'm getting better at my case 1's but as always this massive pitch down effect when dropping full flaps irks me.

How Does Lowering Flaps Affect an Airplane's Angle of Attack (AOA)?

http://www.boldmethod.com/blog/2013/10/how-does-lowering-flaps-affect-angle-of-attack/

Lowering Flaps increases the Wing's Camber

More Camber -> Requires a Smaller AOA

Since the flaps-down wing has more camber than a clean wing, it creates the same amount of lift at a smaller AOA. The flaps-down aircraft now flies at a smaller AOA to balance the four forces of flight.

Many Aircraft (after Lowering Flaps) exhibit a Nose down pitching moment results.

With F/A-18C - (in addition to pitch down) Full Flaps adds a Big increase in Total Drag - so Airspeed will rapidly Bleed Off. So the initial Pitch Down will be followed by the Pilot needing backstick Pressure (increasing AoA) and Power Addition to stabilize at Approach AoA / Airspeed.

I must have watched Wags and Lex video on case 1 recovery 50 times. But using the VFA-113 Stingers LSO carrier Quals mission really helped me to nail getting the on speed AOA in those few seconds from coming out of the break onto the 180 to hearing the LSO paddles contact. Repetition had me hitting the altitudes, bank angle off the 180, flying AOA to the 90 and wings level in the groove.

But I spent days going so long in the groove I kept two Sidewinders ready for that damn Airbus that kept cutting me off!

Thanks Stingers.

Could you post a link to this mission?

Found this:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=211557

But the link is to the mod, not the mission

Edited by Bearfoot

Mod download also has mission file in it. I just drop the mission file in DCS mission folder. Have not installed the LSO mod. Also on Stingers site I downloaded the repaint of Stennis flight deck showing wire caught. After trapping at moment of stopping look left out of cockpit at deck and it will show number 1,2,3 or 4.

Edited by Hamel

If artillery is the finger of God, then fast air is Gods hammer.

Just download as suggested; no mission file (*.miz) to be found

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

Just download as suggested; no mission file (*.miz) to be found

Same here. No mission file is in the MOD.:helpsmilie:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

TWC_Alamo

Denver, CO

Military Flight Sim

I7-7700K, 4.9 GHz, Z270-Gaming MB, 16GB, 512GB EVO-960 NVMe M.2, 512GB WD Black NVMe M.2, 1 TB SSD Raid, EVGA RTX 2080ti, Samsung Odyssey Plus, TM HOTAS/MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Gametrix 908 JetSeat

GA Flight Sim

I7-5820K, 4.2Ghz, Godlike Carbon MB, 16GB, 512 GB EVO 960 NVME M.2, 2 X SSD, EVGA 1080ti, HTC Vive, 3 X 4K 55" TVs, 4 X 27" Monitors, CH: Flight Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals