Rookie questions regarding radios and ils

Puma

Im attempting test flights to validate my pit configuration. Usung the free flight ramp start mission. Two issues:

1) rare or no response from atc. Radios on and tuned. Often i get no response, but sometimes minutes after request i do hear a reply. Seems possibly position related. Is this a mission bug?

2). Ils approaches. If i enable ils i hear the tone and get localiazer bars, but dme readout on hsi goes to zero. I seem to need tacan and ils mode on nmsp to get dme and localizer bars. Is this correct? Manual said they were mutually exclusive modes?!

Thanks everyone!

Custom Pit 476 Recruiting

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20220716.png

Forums Signature V4_500x100_20221002.png

1) I notice a delay sometimes in the response time from ATC. I don't know if it's in the mission design or if it really waits until you're clear to taxi etc. I think it does.

2) ILS only ever gives you a bearing, localizer for horizontal and vertical glide slope. The easy way to get the distance is set the airfield as a waypoint by using the Divert Page on the CDU.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Yah, id buy that for taxi and takeoff, but i dont get one for engine startup requests either, and i cant possibly be in the wring position for that yet:)

Also, for dme i had luck with ils and tcn buttons both depressed on the nmsp. This gave easy readouts to check against descent charts. Is there any reason not to use the nmsp with both enabled?

Edited by Puma

i9-12900KF, 32 GB DDR5, Gigabyte Aorus Z690 Master, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti, 1TB Sabrent Roket 4+ 2x750GB RAID-0, TrackIR 5 /w clip, CRG9 49” Curved Ultrawide Flight Display+15" Touchscreen+17" Gauges display, Thrustmaster Warthog+7.5cm, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, Streamdeck, Butt Kicker and pneumatic G-Seat

Same here. Often no response, but sometimes unexpected. Also: I think it's mostly on MP servers?

Yesterday on the 104th: I asked ground crew rearm and refuel. "Copy".

"Rearming complete".

I ask permission to taxi: no response. Somehow I got distracted and f**ked up. Had to start all over again. So, I choose a new A10C, ask rearm and refuel: ..... silence.

Ask again: ..... silence. Suddenly, without any notice, I see AGM's appearing under the wing...

Same here. Often no response, but sometimes unexpected. Also: I think it's mostly on MP servers?

Yesterday on the 104th: I asked ground crew rearm and refuel. "Copy".

"Rearming complete".

I ask permission to taxi: no response. Somehow I got distracted and f**ked up. Had to start all over again. So, I choose a new A10C, ask rearm and refuel: ..... silence.

Ask again: ..... silence. Suddenly, without any notice, I see AGM's appearing under the wing...

You know ground crew and ATC use different radios, right? Unless Easy Comms is enabled which I don't think is the case on 104th

Ground Crew uses the intercom I believe but the easiest way is to just have the canopy open so you can talk to them. Nice realism there ;-)

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

You know ground crew and ATC use different radios, right? Unless Easy Comms is enabled which I don't think is the case on 104th

Ground Crew uses the intercom I believe but the easiest way is to just have the canopy open so you can talk to them. Nice realism there ;-)

Dies this mean you need to slect the correponding mode of the dial on the intercom panel? I jnew you needed to be on int for ground crew, but do you need to match fm or am for tower comms?

I always use ILS in conjunction with TACAN. ILS gives glide slope and track, TACAN provides distance data.

As for the delays with ATC, I have a feeling it is just the result of a creaking operating system generally. I have a feeling DCS World 2.0 will help there.

Frankly though, if you are really serious about your simming, get yourself along to a virtual squadron with human ATC. There is simply no comparison.

Dies this mean you need to slect the correponding mode of the dial on the intercom panel? I jnew you needed to be on int for ground crew, but do you need to match fm or am for tower comms?

VHF AM Radio 1 (in front) you use for ATC

VHF FM Radio 2 (in back) is used for JTAC etc

You can tell by the frequencies, soething like ATC at 144.00 will be AM which is between 116.00 and 151.975 MHz

And 30.0-76.00 will be FM

You have to press the correct comm button to use them with Easy Comms turned off.

For the ground crew I just open the canopy.

Correct procedure to communicate with Ground Crew is:

1- Batter ON.

2- UHF Radio set to BOTH.

3- Rotate intercom dial to "INT" in the intercom panel.

4- Press the "HM" or hot mic button on the same panel.

This only work with Easy Comms DISABLED

With easy comms u can just navigate the F keys to contact them.

I had a lot more luck today. My theory was that i took far too long to request startup since i was testing stuff, and (not kidding), atc went home. When i request on a more realistic schedule, i got cleared for startup, txi and takeoff. Sound possible?

I haven't experienced this. I see no reason for the programmers to code in a feature like this *on purpose* without telling anyone they have a time limit to request ATC services. Seems implausible.

To test this, do an auto-startup, then wait for as long as it usually takes you to request taxi and take off to see if the AI goes to sleep. This is assuming request startup is not your only problem which you should be able to do immediately on starting the battery and tuning radio.

-Pv-

Yes. I know. But pls enlighten me: how is it possible that in the first setting I get response, and in the second (exact the same startup etc) I get NO response, but notice after a short periode that AGM's suddenly appear under my wings...??? Bug, if you ask me. (and yes, I had my canopy open... )

Edited by GurbY

Yes. I know. But pls enlighten me: how is it possible that in the first setting I get response, and in the second (exact the same startup etc) I get NO response, but notice after a short periode that AGM's suddenly appear under my wings...??? Bug, if you ask me.

Are you the only plane / flight? I think there might be some kind of comm queue system that is worked off even when you don't tune into their comms. The more flights, the more delay is what I seem to experience with comms.

No, there were more planes. However, without comms (or even "Copy" from Groundcrew) it still is weird that armament is placed, no Copy, no "Rearming Complete", nothing...

The outgoing message ("request rearming") is send and received...

Yes. I know. But pls enlighten me: how is it possible that in the first setting I get response, and in the second (exact the same startup etc) I get NO response, but notice after a short periode that AGM's suddenly appear under my wings...??? Bug, if you ask me. (and yes, I had my canopy open... )

Could indeed be a bug. I know X-Plane deliberately puts a delay in the ATCs response to make it more realistic. It would actually be odd if they replied instantly. Does DCS do the same?

@SharpeXB: I agree; instant reply would be odd, certainly if there are more planes around. I think it occurs mostly on MP servers; on the standalone version I never have a problem whatsoever with comms.