X-55 "device descriptor request failed" after power outage

Hi all,

As the title says, I had a power outage on my gaming system. For some reason it appears my UPS didn't save the day and everything shut down.

Since the power outage, my X-55 stick isn't recognized. The throttle is fine, but the stick comes up with a windows error (device not recognized). In Device Manager, I get the message "device descriptor request failed."

I've tried it in multiple USB ports on the same computer, and multiple USB ports on a different computer, and the same error shows up every time. Since it's happening on multiple computers, I can only conclude that the power outage somehow fried the electronics in the stick. I've pulled it apart and inspected the circuit board, but there's no obvious electronic damage. It was plugged directly into the USB port on the motherboard, not through an externally powered hub.

Is this even possible? Anyone have any other ideas what might have caused this?

Thanks!

Edited by Sandman1330

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Yes, looks like it's a brick.

It's possible that only the stick was affected, years ago there was lighting strike near my house, it fried my wireless keyboard and damaged network port on MB but everything else was fine.

Yeah, super strange. Must have caused a power surge through the USB port?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Very sorry to hear your dilemma with your X-55. They are are a great HOTAS.

Is it possible to set it up on another computer to prove whether it is a brick or not?

Did that with my stick when it bombed and found that a .sys file had corrupted and it was not a problem with the stick at all.

Very sorry to hear your dilemma with your X-55. They are are a great HOTAS.

Is it possible to set it up on another computer to prove whether it is a brick or not?

Did that with my stick when it bombed and found that a .sys file had corrupted and it was not a problem with the stick at all.

Yeah, tried it... Still same error on a different computer :mad:

At first I was super cheezed, since the X-55 is discontinued and I hated the look of the old X-56. However, now that I've seen the new X-56, I may pull the trigger on one of those. I do, however, have a spare X-55 I managed to get used for cheap (did that back when they were discontinued), so I'll use that for awhile.