Please bring back object size settings!

Greekbull

From what I get from this and as to why ED will not use it, is because of the new missile logic, damage and ballistic penetration modeling that will be implemented.

It's based on the true size of the object, in other words everything would need to scale up for the modeling to work.

40 foot long spamraam missiles:D Now that I would like to see...

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Wags the DCS engine cannot scale the models without inducing other bad effects like changing the RCS so this is a moot point. See the video linked earlier.

Yes, I saw the video. All I can say is... too bad for DCS...

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

Black Shark 2, FC3, UH-1H, M-2000C, A-10C, MiG-21, Gazelle, Nevada map

Thinking about that some more, I wonder why they couldn't have a "dummy" low poly count mesh that's grey in color that expands with adjustable smart scaling options that would be invisible to the rest of the simulation (Missiles) and MP clients.

I'm guessing the menu settings would need to auto adjust based on screen size input, otherwise it wouldn't be fair in MP. Medium size option would need to look the same on 4K and 1080P right? pixel-density

There could also be other reason not to perhaps?

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Thinking about that some more, I wonder why they couldn't have a "dummy" low poly count mesh that's grey in color that expands with adjustable smart scaling options that would be invisible to the rest of the simulation (Missiles) and MP clients.

I'm guessing the menu settings would need to auto adjust based on screen size input, otherwise it wouldn't be fair in MP. Medium size option would need to look the same on 4K and 1080P right? pixel-density

Wouldn’t that mean having to generate 2x the number of 3D models? = performance hit.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I avoid the frustration of enemy sighting by imagining I am using HADI (in-helmet advanced digital imaging system) that allows JTAC to provided me info on the data link system that superimposes geometrics in the general region of the enemy. This rationalizes the labeling system I uses that fades in small transparent rectangles at 10 miles and fades out at 1 mile. Since there is a degree of fantasy involved in sim flying, this attitude fits very nicely into my sim experience.

Win 10 I7 6700K @ 4.0 GHZ. 16 gig memory GTX 1070 SSD

+1 ; please bring it back !

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

According to Wags the DCS engine cannot scale the models without inducing other bad effects like changing the RCS so this is a moot point. See the video linked earlier.

I would make a gentleman's wager that Wags' statement was a red herring, or just premature.

If I'm wrong then they need to do something else to fix it. Telling my friends about DCS is like this:

"It's a great flight sim. It has technical accuracy and amazing graphics."

"Can you see other airplanes flying?"

"Errr...no.":doh:

Edited by gavagai

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

I would make a gentleman's wager that Wags' statement was a red herring, or just premature.

I will wager he knows more about the game engine than we do.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I dont really care how its improved, be it smart scaling, new imposter system whatever. What worries me most is as far as I know this problem has not been acknowledged by ED ( if im wrong plz someone point me to a recent dev post addressing the model visibility) which makes me believe they are either unaware of it or dont see it as an issue that needs attention. And with the hornet so close that thought keeps me awake at night

I have asked through the moderators for an update and NineLine replied that he would take it to ED given the amount of attention the topic is getting on the forum.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I will wager he knows more about the game engine than we do.

He's not saying he doesn't, quite the opposite... Read his comment again...

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

As a VR user indeed this is hard to spot an enemy. And using labels to see where they are break immersion, which VR is all about :)

Envoyé de mon SM-G955F en utilisant Tapatalk

Favorite modules : Huey, F-86F, F14 and P-51D

Quest 2, RTX 3080, i7 10700K, 16 Gb of RAM, Pro Flight Trainer PUMA helicopter setup, Warthog HOTAS with two force sensitive stick, custom cockpit and a GS-Cobra dynamic seat.

As a VR user indeed this is hard to spot an enemy. And using labels to see where they are break immersion, which VR is all about :)

Envoyé de mon SM-G955F en utilisant Tapatalk

Thats unfortunate. It doesnt break immersion for me at all.From my earlier post.

"I avoid the frustration of enemy sighting by imagining I am using HADI (in-helmet advanced digital imaging system) that allows JTAC to provided me info on the data link system that superimposes geometrics in the general region of the enemy. This rationalizes the labeling system I uses that fades in small transparent rectangles at 10 miles and fades out at 1 mile. Since there is a degree of fantasy involved in sim flying, this attitude fits very nicely into my sim experience."

Win 10 I7 6700K @ 4.0 GHZ. 16 gig memory GTX 1070 SSD

According to Wags explanation in that video, the old sprite only appeared when the object was far enough to be the size of 1 pixel? In that case it wouldn't solve the problem at all... because the problem is when the object is nearer, in that "phantom zone" that you can't see it. Right now, objects can be seen as the infamous black dot when they're very far, even 60 km away, which is also a problem. If I undrestand it correctly, the old sprites would just replace the current black dots, allowing you to see at unrealistic distances and still not allowing you to see at close distances...

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

This is all old news and I’m sure you’ve seen this before. But at 1:43 Wags explains why DCS wasn’t going to use “smart scaling”.

This was three years ago so again, this subject is just dead and buried. Time to move on...

So you are referencing an old video where Wags is demonstrating exactly what we are asking for and why it's so good and telling us this is a dead issue. That feature he is demonstrating at 1:43 in the video no longer exists and that is the problem until they do revamp the scaling problem.

You may be running 4K but I don't think you understand the technicalities of what you're using. A single pixel in 4K is much much smaller than one at lower resolutions. So yes your ability to see objects at a distance is greatly compromised and you are at a huge disadvantage. You may not fly pvp on online servers I'm not sure. If you did you would probably notice the deficiency pretty fast.

Obviously many others are having this issue as this thread is full of 9 pages of people agreeing that they would like a solution.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

According to Wags explanation in that video, the old sprite only appeared when the object was far enough to be the size of 1 pixel? In that case it wouldn't solve the problem at all... because the problem is when the object is nearer, in that "phantom zone" that you can't see it. Right now, objects can be seen as the infamous black dot when they're very far, even 60 km away, which is also a problem. If I undrestand it correctly, the old sprites would just replace the current black dots, allowing you to see at unrealistic distances and still not allowing you to see at close distances...

The old system certainly wasn't perfect by any means. But I believe it was better than what we have now without it as an option.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

The old system certainly wasn't perfect by any means. But I believe it was better than what we have now without it as an option.

You mean it was better at letting you see things beyond visual range? Because as I understand it so far, it did nothing within visual range, only beyond, just like the dots that we have now.

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

It did actually allow for better visibility in close as well. It wasn't perfect but it was something.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

Wouldn’t that mean having to generate 2x the number of 3D models? = performance hit.

Not full models, only very low poly grey smart scale models, superimposed over the top when needed that the sim cannot see, so the damage model is not affected. This would scale to suite the device set under the options etc.

Only 124 KB in CAD

attachment.php?attachmentid=184641&stc=1&d=1526431408

attachment.php?attachmentid=184642&stc=1&d=1526431408

Just an idea...

-

lowpolyaircraft.jpg.64d0e58ba8b246ffb16d5e5d8145bfdd.jpg

lowpolyaircraft2.jpg.ded87c5b413ef7f86bc820f25d458c4a.jpg

Edited by David OC

So you are referencing an old video where Wags is demonstrating exactly what we are asking for and why it's so good and telling us this is a dead issue. That feature he is demonstrating at 1:43 in the video no longer exists and that is the problem until they do revamp the scaling problem.

Yes it’s an old video from when the Model Enlargement feature was introduced. Lots of people try to ask for this “smart scaling” and the reason I posted that was to point out why Wags says “smart scaling” can’t be used in DCS. This is why they went with the imposters instead. As it turns out those didn’t work either. Plenty of past discussions here on how much they didn’t work. It’s all old news.

^^ They said smart scaling would increase the aircraft's RCS, and in the real world if you increased an object's size you would indeed also increase it's RCS. And the fact that they then opted for 2D sprites instead seems coherent with that.

But this still doesn't make sense to me. It's a software (not real life), and while I'm not an expert, I just know you could make the RCS value in-game whatever you want, despite the size of the aircraft.

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far:

^^ They said smart scaling would increase the aircraft's RCS, and in the real world if you increased an object's size you would indeed also increase it's RCS. And the fact that they then opted for 2D sprites instead seems coherent with that.

But this still doesn't make sense to me. It's a software (not real life), and while I'm not an expert, I just know you could make the RCS value in-game whatever you want, despite the size of the aircraft.

That's why I was thinking you could just superimposed and scale a very "low poly plane looking thing" that's only for human viewing and not scale the real sim high poly model that would also mess up the damage, ballistic and proximity modelling ED use in sim.

I'm sorry, but I have to say that doesn't make any more sense to me either...

The easiest way I see most things in DCS are that they ARE based on REAL life, well as closely as mathematically possible with today's Hardware limitations. The radar and ballistic proximity modelling is based on real life and are running algorithms.

If you change the size of the plane the radar algorithms "RCS" in sim would be way wrong, the weapon proximity fusing would also be wrong etc.

If you have a fake Low Ploy model just sit over the top that can scale, without it affecting any of existing underlining algorithms. It's basically what DCS had before, except using the old smart scale system on a small 3D fake model over the top of ED existing tech, so it doesn't affect it. Well it wont even see it because it's not programed to see it like it is for the original aircraft model.

This would not matter if we were only talking about WW2 aircraft, they could smart scale, because the only time you shoot they would never be scaled up when you need to shoot at them. It's the long range AIM-7, AIM-120's and Mavericks etc. They will get to the "enlarged scaled target" and there lies the math problem, an Su-27 with a 45 meter wing span, 3 times the size.

Edited by David OC

If you have a fake Low Ploy model just sit over the top that can scale, without it affecting any of existing underlining algorithms.

I did understand that. What I meant was: they aren't capable of working on the visible model without messing the RCS, and you hope they're capable of working with 2 different visible models for the same aircraft...

This would not matter if we were only talking about WW2 aircraft, they could smart scale, because the only time you shoot they would never be scaled up when you need to shoot at them. It's the long range AIM-7, AIM-120's and Mavericks etc. They will get to the "enlarged scaled target" and there lies the math problem, an Su-27 with a 45 meter wing span, 3 times the size.

WWII planes are allowed to fly together with modern fighters, so yes, it would matter for all aircraft, including WWII ones.

My DCS modding videos:

Modules I own so far: