Experienced BF-109 pilots - help needed - right roll level flight - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 03-10-2018, 02:54 PM   #41
Burning Bridges

Good for you
Burning Bridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:07 PM   #42
NineLine
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Bridges View Post
Good for you
People are trying to help.
ED Facebook PageED YouTube PageWags YouTubeMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine #0440
**How to Report a Bug**
NineLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:48 PM   #43
Yo-Yo
ED Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Bridges View Post
Do you have a better idea? I currently fly with -12 aileron 0 rudder.
Any prop pilot has: eliminate yaw first, because the roll is primarily due to yaw. So, rudder = 0 is a great mistake.
Yo-Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:16 PM   #44
Vitormouraa
Veteran

This might be a bit off topic but what was the reason to not install aileron trim on the German aircraft? I always wondered why that is. Weight saving? reduced complexity when manufacturing the aircraft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post
Any prop pilot has: eliminate yaw first, because the roll is primarily due to yaw. So, rudder = 0 is a great mistake.
Are you saying that keeping the Rudder trim at zero is a mistake? In the special options.

Also just noticed there is a typo there, "Rudder tim"

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sem título.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	180647  

SplashOneGaming is a community of viewers, players, and content creators built on combat flight simulation. Flowing through our veins is years of flight simulation experience in a multitude of different platforms. We welcome and encourage all of you to join us, whether you are seasoned or green, looking to learn, teach, or just trying to find someone to fly with.
Discord
Website
Vitormouraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:48 AM   #45
Yo-Yo
ED Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitormouraa View Post
This might be a bit off topic but what was the reason to not install aileron trim on the German aircraft? I always wondered why that is. Weight saving? reduced complexity when manufacturing the aircraft?

Are you saying that keeping the Rudder trim at zero is a mistake? In the special options.

Also just noticed there is a typo there, "Rudder tim"

This sliders shows your offsets from factory settings. The factory settings are made for a historical proven power rate for steady level flight. As one can notice, using this power setting you can fly almost hands free. If you prefer to readjust the settings, you must eliminate yaw with the rudder centering the ball, and only after that small aileron trim is needed.
So, having ailerons shifted, for example, by 16 and unchanged rudder, I think, you will fly with pronounced yaw.

P. S. As the trim slightly changes with altitude, small throttle input can help for retrimming.

P. P. S. It was very common not to use all three channels for controlled trim. Spitfire has no aileron trim. Yak-18T has no rudder and aileron trim, so sometimes it needs small constant rudder and yoke input.

Last edited by Yo-Yo; 03-11-2018 at 06:01 AM.
Yo-Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:20 AM   #46
LeCuvier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitormouraa View Post
Interesting question, and I'm tempted to offer some guesses:
1. I think that the introduction of trimming was probably (at that time) an innovation that made it gradually into the world of military aviation, and was probably considered as a "nice to have" feature especially in Germany. And the young Germans at that time were certainly not demanding in terms of comfort. And Germany never disposed of plentiful resources, so low-priority "comfort" features didn't make it into the design.
2. The German planes were not designed for long-range operations with long cruising periods where a trimming capability in all 3 axes is really valuable. The P-51 on the other hand was a long-range fighter and therefore had all 3 trim axes.

PS the comment from YoYo is interesting. I will reduce my aileron ground trim setting and see how that works out. I did not understand that rudder trimming should go before aielron trimming.
Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5
LeCuvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:56 PM   #47
LeCuvier

Default Flying the Bf-109 hands-free?

I said earlier that I can fly the Bf-109 hands-free. I need to add something to make that a fully true statement. Because today I tried some different ground trim settings and I could not fly hands-free. The problem was not rolling however: the beast kept raising its nose even with elevators trimmed fully nose-down. This was embarrassing because I had said I can fly hands-free.
And then I realized that I was flying with my native Mongoos T-50 stick, while earlier I had my TM WH grip in the T-50 base. So I quickly swapped grips again and flew with the TM WH grip in the T-50 base. And yes, I could fly hands-free again. This is because the TM WH grip is much heavier than the T-50 grip and makes the stick lean slightly forward (if the spring is not too tight), shifting the neutral position slightly forward. This makes it possible to trim the Bf-109 for level flight.
Even if some people criticise me for an unrealistic set-up - I love it!
Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5
LeCuvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 02:01 PM   #48
Vitormouraa
Veteran

Thanks for the replies! I never really used that option, I think the default one works great. I was flying the 109 yesterday and I was able to fly with very little input changes, near to hands off.

Although the Spitfire does not have aileron trim, the rudder works fine. But it induces drift.

SplashOneGaming is a community of viewers, players, and content creators built on combat flight simulation. Flowing through our veins is years of flight simulation experience in a multitude of different platforms. We welcome and encourage all of you to join us, whether you are seasoned or green, looking to learn, teach, or just trying to find someone to fly with.
Discord
Website
Vitormouraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:01 PM   #49
Alex Voicu

I use the settings in the images below. This allows me to cruise hands-off at around 500km/h and 1.4 ata with the plane keeping the same heading without any rudder input.

As you can see, i also adjusted the pitch curve so the plane maintains level flight in the conditions mentioned above with elevator trim set to 0. That's why the center position is offset a little (43% compared to the usual 50%). For take-off i use full nose-down trim though.

For different speeds or power settings you have to compensate with the controls, but it doesn't need too much aileron to keep it horizontal. It does require a bit of work on the rudder if you change the power setting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	set109_1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	180718   Click image for larger version

Name:	pitch_109.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	180722  
Alex Voicu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:38 PM   #50
fencible

We had a Luftwaffe veteran pilot who emigrated here to Ottawa, Canada after the war. He had flown 109s on the Eastern front. He said that the biggest problem with the late-war 109s came from flying them out of rough adhoc grass airfields, due to the narrow undercarriage, and that there were a lot of accidents due to that factor. I suspect that spitfires also had high accident rates operating from such fields.
Having just acquired the DCS 109-K I was prepared to wrestle a fire-breathing torque monster, but I have been very happily surprised to find that it is a pleasant handling, responsive, balanced and tractable aircraft. I enjoy flying it very much. but then, I am using nice concrete airfields with runways to take-off and land in DCS. The tendency to roll slightly to right is not bothersome. Both the DCS Spit IX and P51-D require hands-on at all times, too. This is entirely realistic. These aircraft are not airliners.
fencible is offline   Reply With Quote