Please bring back object size settings! - Page 11 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-16-2018, 02:25 PM   #101
SharpeXB

The problem with the above is it’s still creating double the number of models, even if one is low poly that’s still a big deal. DCS can challenge even the strongest machines as it stands now.
Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K 4.7GHz | Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC 11GB | 240gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | Samsung U28D590D UHD 28” Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
SharpeXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:44 PM   #102
Tippis

I'm sorry but that still makes no sense.

What you draw is not what you calculate. If it is, the game is fundamentally broken and needs to be reworked regardless, and getting model scaling is just a happy side-benefit.

You do not need two different models — you use one, and draw it at whatever size is needed. You do not need to draw the plane twice — you draw it once, again at whatever size is needed. These are wholly separate processes from using the 3D model to calculate world interactions. If they are using the drawn model for something else than being shown on screen, they have done something horribly silly and need to fix that irrespective of any and all other considerations because nothing should ever rely on what goes on in the rendering pipeline.
Tippis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:31 PM   #103
David OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippis View Post
I'm sorry but that still makes no sense.

What you draw is not what you calculate. If it is, the game is fundamentally broken and needs to be reworked regardless, and getting model scaling is just a happy side-benefit.

You do not need two different models — you use one, and draw it at whatever size is needed. You do not need to draw the plane twice — you draw it once, again at whatever size is needed. These are wholly separate processes from using the 3D model to calculate world interactions. If they are using the drawn model for something else than being shown on screen, they have done something horribly silly and need to fix that irrespective of any and all other considerations because nothing should ever rely on what goes on in the rendering pipeline.
Looking back at it, to me it looks like they were going with a low poly for the damage model container. You need something in 3D space to calculate bullet rounds, not the rendering, but you would need the 3D wire frame for bullet hits and fragmentation in the 3D world for the calculations to be calculated off I'm guessing.

The Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorzy View Post
Are there any details more, to share with us?

Say, plans to:
a) simulate penetration of several modules by a single projectile
b) introduce altered impact behavior, depended on the load (HE/AP) => surface/submerged explosions, ricochets where applicable
c) internal/external fuel tank flame bursts or varied leakage rates depended on hits number/their nature
d) hydraulic fails - drop out chassis, etc
e) stun effects on the pilot (HE "close call" impact)
f) realistic dynamics for damaged planes, including their rapid re-balancing due to pierced tanks/any massive parts departed. Inability to withstand high Gs for their frame any more (where it's appropriate)
g) inflammation that gradually affects plane

A digression: I'm not poking developers to do this right from the beginning in some stealthy manner - just wonder what depth are you willing to take?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yo-Yo View Post
a) Yes, including true calculation of armour-piercing ability (at least for the first 1-2 walls where experimental results are available to extend for the model). Fragmentation field patterns, etc...
b) yes
c) yes
d) hydrolics can be damaged even now, but it will work regarding its design for each plane - so there will be no undercarriage drop if the up-locks are mechanically driven. Possibly, with the new DM hydrolics will get more detailed damages, say, the pump, the left gear tubing, etc...
e) do not know yet
f) all these features work now. If the main spar is damaged - yes it will lower max G-load.
g) I remember that Racoon answered positive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160719_Spitfire current DM.PNG
Views:	54
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	184708   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160719_Spitfire new DM.PNG
Views:	49
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	184709  

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero MB | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3466Mhz | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe
500G SSD | 2 X Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | Fractal Design R5 Case

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library. Awesome PDF guides for getting up to speed with aircraft quickly and great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing.

Last edited by David OC; 05-16-2018 at 09:46 PM.
David OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:08 AM   #104
SharpeXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippis View Post
Ok whatever. Wags said it was a problem and knows as much about this than anyone. So good luck with wanting the whole game reworked.
Velocity Micro PC | Asus Z97-A | i7-4790K 4.7GHz | Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler | 32GB DDR3-1600MHz Memory | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC 11GB | 240gb Intel 520 Series MLC SSD | 850 W Corsair PSU | Windows 10 Home | Samsung U28D590D UHD 28” Monitor | Bose Companion 5 Speakers | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5
SharpeXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:41 AM   #105
PeaceSells

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpeXB View Post
Ok whatever. Wags said it was a problem and knows as much about this than anyone. So good luck with wanting the whole game reworked.
Dude. You need to calm down...
Core i7 4770 3.40GHz, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 2GB, Intel DB85FL motherboard, ASUS VG248 monitor 144Hz 24" 16:9, Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS HOTAS and TFRP pedals, TrackHat Clip Kit, Razer Deathadder mouse @1000Hz @1000DPI, Windows 10 64bit

Last edited by PeaceSells; 05-17-2018 at 05:33 AM.
PeaceSells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 02:36 AM   #106
Tippis

Quote:
Originally Posted by David OC View Post
Looking back at it, to me it looks like they were going with a low poly for the damage model container. You need something in 3D space to calculate bullet rounds, not the rendering, but you would need the 3D wire frame for bullet hits and fragmentation in the 3D world for the calculations to be calculated off I'm guessing.

The Thread
Yes. You obviously need something to base the damage calculations off of. My point is that this something is wholly separate and distinct from whatever is drawn on-screen. What the graphics card does should not affect, nor be affected by, what other processes do with the same (much less with a separate, simplified) 3D object model.

If my graphics cards get a bit confused and starts drawing T90:s in the place of MiG-15:s, then that should not — must not — mean that the 1950:s plane I'm shooting at has suddenly acquired the hit calculations and damage characteristics of a 1990:s MBT. It could be drawing pink elephants for all I care, and the damage model should still be that of the actual plane because it would be insane otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpeXB View Post
That's just it: if it actually is the problem people are presenting it as, then that's the only option. If that is truly the case, they've done a Very Bad Thing™ and need to un-bad it, sharpish, as in “no, sorry, the Hornet can wait until 2025” levels of priority changes. There's really no two ways about it. I truly hope that it's just a confused message or language mixup — that they're not relying on the rendering pipeline to do unrelated sim calculations — because holy hell what a massive and easily exploitable error they've revealed otherwise.
Tippis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:19 AM   #107
David OC

I'm very certain that is not the case, as ED has been separating the simulations to the graphics engine to allow for more multi core functions and vulkan api integration moving forward.

The only thing that needs updating from the simulation engine to graphics engine, would be the info need for the registered hits to display the correct bullet hole skin, that's the way I understand it anyway.

I think they will rework what they had before once the graphics is more settled and DS sorted out some more etc.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero MB | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3466Mhz | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe
500G SSD | 2 X Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | Fractal Design R5 Case

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library. Awesome PDF guides for getting up to speed with aircraft quickly and great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing.

David OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:07 PM   #108
Av8rjoker

+1 I'm brand new (again) after a long time and am relearning the game from scratch. I'm only using FC3 right now and I can't see anything before I'm dead. I have full labels on but it's near impossible, at least for me, at this point to pick out a specific ground target.

It makes me not want to play at all.

I see you guys arguing technical points back and fourth so coming from someone new.... I just want to see my targets and I don't care how it's done. It's a problem that I am having and it's very frustrating.
Av8rjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:14 PM   #109
Greekbull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8rjoker View Post
+1 I'm brand new (again) after a long time and am relearning the game from scratch. I'm only using FC3 right now and I can't see anything before I'm dead. I have full labels on but it's near impossible, at least for me, at this point to pick out a specific ground target.

It makes me not want to play at all.

I see you guys arguing technical points back and fourth so coming from someone new.... I just want to see my targets and I don't care how it's done. It's a problem that I am having and it's very frustrating.
Yeah it's a pretty big problem...unfortunately you really need some sort of VR/HD Label mod if you plan on flying in VR or 4K...
i7 8700K @ 5.0Ghz I ASUS Maximus Hero X Z370 I 64GB G Skill TridentZ DDR4 3200 I ASUS STRIX GTX 1080Ti I Samsung EVO 960 500GB M.2 PCIe SSD I TM Warthog HOTAS I VPC Mongoose T-50 Stick Base I MFG Crosswind Pedals I 4K 50" I TrackIR 5 W/ Wireless LukeClip

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Virtual Carrier Strike Group 1 | Discord
Greekbull is offline   Reply With Quote