TrackIR and Opentrack/Delanclip/PS Eye

Make sure you are running OT at the admin level.

That was it, thank you :)

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

The keys all work fine for me. In fact, now I have centering set to the slew nipple push button on my TM Warthog throttle. Works nicely!

Hi,

I've been trying out Opentrack these past couple of days and I've noticed that when I press the key for stop the tracker, it does so immediately; however the key to reactivate the tracking takes almots 5 seconds to activate it. It ¡s the same for you?

I use this start/stop of the tracking when I use snapviews for close up views of sensors, CDU and hud; where I dont want my view to move.

I've rechecked the software options and faq, but cant find anything to fix this :(

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Hi Rudel, no, I don't have that issue. Not that I ever use that in game, but stopping and starting keys both work immediately for me. I set them to 4 and 6 on numpad.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

• 11 months later...

@Rudel_chw and others: what does changing sampling do to cpu consmuption..?

> I'm running it at almost 120 Hz at 320 x 240 ... tried higher resolutions at 60-75 Hz, but found that the tracking was smoother at my current setting.

Yes ... I purchased it already modified, from Delan. It's a good webcam, I'm running it at almost 120 Hz at 320 x 240 ... tried higher resolutions at 60-75 Hz, but found that the tracking was smoother at my current setting.

Thanks a lot for sharing ... I will give it a try on next weekend, just to see if I'm missing much by using FaceTrackNoIR :)

Best regards

@Rudel_chw and others: what does changing sampling do to cpu consmuption..?

Well, obviously a higher sampling rate consumes more processor than a lower rate. You have to try and see what rate works best for you.

• 2 months later...

Hi.

I have A DIY trackir, ir led hat and PS3 eye. use opentrack. I manage to setup the curves pretty good, But when I try to look at panels in cockpit and want to get closer it doesn't move closer to the panel just straight forward. I also have some screen tearing and not so smooth movement. I feels like a long way to get this setup correct, maybe Trackir is better?

Windows 10 pro 64bit | Intel I7 4790K@ 4GHz | 24GB Crucial ballistix sport 1600MHz DDR3 | ASUS Strix GTX1080Ti OC | Crucial mx 100 250Gb SSD | Crucial mx 300 520Gb SSD "Game disc"| Samsung 1Tb HDD |

another thumbs up for delanclip and PS3. Works really well for me. Never had a TrackIR but I couldn't justify the $$$ for one.

Same for me, it has given me four years of good service .. until I could afford an Oculus Rift .. now I still use the headtracking when using the Mission Editor, but for flying the Oculus is much better, in spite of its lack of graphic detail.

I have A DIY trackir, ir led hat and PS3 eye. use opentrack. I manage to setup the curves pretty good, But when I try to look at panels in cockpit and want to get closer it doesn't move closer to the panel just straight forward.

Perhaps this Guide that I wrote last year can help you out with getting closer to the instruments:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=187155

I also have some screen tearing and not so smooth movement. I feels like a long way to get this setup correct, maybe Trackir is better?

Of course TrackIR is better .. you get software and hardware designed for each other, it has to be better :) ... but that cames with a price, the delanclip/Ps3 is almost a third of the price .. I can put up with a harder tuning in exchange for the $$$ savings :)

And, at least on my setup (delan clip + ps3 webcam + facetracknoir software) I have a smooth enough movement and no tearing, like you can see on this video:

xxwl1GUIOjE

Best regards

Hi.

when I try to look at panels in cockpit and want to get closer it doesn't move closer to the panel just straight forward. I also have some screen tearing and not so smooth movement.

Movement along the z axis is primarily forward and backward. Since I don't use the POV hat on my stick I set it up to control zoom, a glance to the panels and zoom-in gets you a good view. Never used trackir so can't comment on it.

I don't have any screen tearing with opentrack. How do you have it configured?

It´s not as smooth as in the youtube clip. And it´s pretty jerky movement. I also wondering about the height and distance to the ps3 camera. maybe that´s one problem. It´s on the top of my screen and I sit maybe 50-60 cm.

It´s like this video

PS3 open track settings. 640/480 75hz, Diagonal FoV 56, timeout 250ms.

Edited by karkka

Windows 10 pro 64bit | Intel I7 4790K@ 4GHz | 24GB Crucial ballistix sport 1600MHz DDR3 | ASUS Strix GTX1080Ti OC | Crucial mx 100 250Gb SSD | Crucial mx 300 520Gb SSD "Game disc"| Samsung 1Tb HDD |

Does opentrack recognize joystick buttons -without key assignments- like Trackir does? I currently use Trackir but am getting tried of some issues that I have with it and I am thinking of going with the delanclip/Ps3 opentrack package.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

I am not sure that Len62 answered my question. In trackir, I can set joystick button 3 to center trackir and joystick button 4 to pause it without assigning either commands to a keyboard key command. Can opentrack do the same?

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

It´s not as smooth as in the youtube clip. And it´s pretty jerky movement. I also wondering about the height and distance to the ps3 camera. maybe that´s one problem. It´s on the top of my screen and I sit maybe 50-60 cm.

PS3 open track settings. 640/480 75hz, Diagonal FoV 56, timeout 250ms.

If your monitor refresh rate is 60, set open track to 60, also, try increasing the timeout to 500ms. The height/distance of the camera should not have any ill effect, as long as the opentrack preview window shows good control responses.

Are you using a FFB stick? Some people get the jerky movement when using an FFB stick. I occasionally get a few random stutters but I've always attributed them to scenery load issues.

I have 144hz monitor, X-55 rhino.

I am not sure that Len62 answered my question. In trackir, I can set joystick button 3 to center trackir and joystick button 4 to pause it without assigning either commands to a keyboard key command. Can opentrack do the same?

Yes, you can do that in opentrack. I guess I misunderstood your question.

Len62

thanks. now I am interested.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

I've been trying out Opentrack these past couple of days and I've noticed that when I press the key for stop the tracker, it does so immediately; however the key to reactivate the tracking takes almots 5 seconds to activate it. It ¡s the same for you?

I use this start/stop of the tracking when I use snapviews for close up views of sensors, CDU and hud; where I dont want my view to move.

I've rechecked the software options and faq, but cant find anything to fix this :(

Best regards

I know this is an older post but I thought that this could be beneficial for new users of opentrack.

I posted this to the opentrack wiki at the date below.

This is with opentrack 2.3.10

Opentrack 2.3.10/Options/Shortcuts

The following commands leaves the camera and tracking on. The commands only work while tracking is active.

Center Sets the current view as the “Look straight forward” point. This should be done, while being in the expected working pose.

This can also be done automatically when starting the tracker, by activating the “Center at startup” option. Make sure that you are in the working pose, before starting the tracker.

If the tracker is not centered when using the Start, Toggle or Restart shortcuts, then hit the Center shortcut.

Toggle Pauses and locks view movements. (This is what you would hit before and after using snapviews in DCS or IL2.)

Toggle while held Pauses and locks view movements while held. (This could be used to keep the view on one panel, while consulting an external checklist and flipping the needed switches.)

Zero Snaps your view to “Look straight forward” and locks it. Press again to unlock.

Zero while held Snaps your view to “Look straight forward”, when pressed and returns to the current pose when released.

Zero and zero while held

Pressing Zero then using Zero while held will invert the behavior, looking forward while the Zero while held key isn't pressed.

The following commands turns the camera and tracking on or off. They're active all the time while the software is running.

Start Tracking Turns on camera and begins tracking. (This can take a couple of seconds)

Stop tracking Stops tracking and turns off camera.

Toggle tracking Turns on camera and begins tracking. (This can take a couple of seconds), or Stops tracking and turns off camera.

Restart Tracking Stops tracking and turns off camera and then Turns on camera and begins tracking. (This can take a couple of seconds)

DanTDBV 15/7-2018

I hope that this is a help to someone.

Happy simming

Edited by DanTDBV
For clarity

AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core

ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0

32GB DDR3 1600 Dual Channel

GeForce GTX 970 4GB

23,6”+32”+23,6 16/9 screens

CH Flightstick Pro, Modded TM T:16000m, Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant, G27, TH Cougar MFD's

In DCS (and in IL 2) I have problems using Delan Clip, while in Xplane 11 and ETS 2 I had no problems. The reason is that in fighter simulators like DCS I have to be able to look all the way up to keep track on my enemies. However, for some reason it is very hard in DCS and in IL 2 to look up or at least it does not work very intuitive for me. Does anyone have the same problems? It is kind of hard to describe for me.

Maybe someone could share his tracking curve profile in FaceTrackNoIR with me. I am flying in the Hornet btw. if that makes any difference.

Edit: The problem might be that you cannot move your head more than 90° up, so you have to look up and turn around your head at the same time to get the full view on what is going on above your head. I just wish that it was possible to look up for about 130° instead of just 90°.

Edited by Tiramisu

In DCS (and in IL 2) I have problems using Delan Clip, while in Xplane 11 and ETS 2 I had no problems. The reason is that in fighter simulators like DCS I have to be able to look all the way up to keep track on my enemies. However, for some reason it is very hard in DCS and in IL 2 to look up or at least it does not work very intuitive for me. Does anyone have the same problems? It is kind of hard to describe for me.

Maybe someone could share his tracking curve profile in FaceTrackNoIR with me. I am flying in the Hornet btw. if that makes any difference.

Edit: The problem might be that you cannot move your head more than 90° up, so you have to look up and turn around your head at the same time to get the full view on what is going on above your head. I just wish that it was possible to look up for about 130° instead of just 90°.

You need to adjust your profile to achieve what you want. However, in real life, how many degrees can you raise your head if you were strapped into a seat? you couldn't get close to 90, far less 130!

This is a reason why VR is more realistic. With head tracking, you can define profiles that give you super human viewing abilities, and give you a significant advantage in combat!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Could you please explain which profile you mean? I have found some threads about this issue and about how to change something in the Server.lua file in ...\DCSWorld\Config\View, but it did not work for me. I tried many kind of changes, but nothing worked yet.

The reason why it would be still realistic to raise the view more than 90° is that this angle seems to be applied for the upper bound of your screen. In real life that would be like if you would barely see a point in top of you, but the human field of view is much larger than that point, if you know what I am saying.

I mean when I am looking up in real life, then I see everything above me at one glance. However, in DCS the Track-IR only allows you to see one half of the top. For the other half you need to turn your head, which is not realistic and it is very handicapping.

I'm talking about the TrackIR profile. If you want to unrealistically adjust head movement, that is where you need to look. You need to set it so that small head movements produced large in-game movements by adjusting the graphs.

• 1 month later...

Hi All

Got my brother interested in DCS and decided to send him my Delan Clip and PS3 Eye camera. It has been working a treat on other sims but when using it with DCS, he cannot look down far enough to view the switches on left and right sides of the plane. If he tries to push it, he is flipped back up looking at the sky which makes him feel sick.

Is this a curves issue or would reinstalling opentrack be a better option. At a bit of a loss as what to try as he is quite a distance from me and need to relay it simply for him. I am now using Trackir so haven't got anything to relate to apart from looking at videos and loading up opentrack to try and fathom it out. Any help or ideas would be greatfully received.

Cheers

Steve

Your brother has to make sure that all three laser-LEDs are tracked by the camera. I am using Delan Clip with FaceTrackNoIR and that software is showing me these three points. Every time when at least one point is not tracked or merges with another point, your software will not be able to calculate the 3D-location of your brothers head and thus goes back to the neutral position.

Btw. I would like to know how to disable this annoying behaviour when the camera goes back to neutral in these situations. I would prefer if it would simply keep its old position when the track got lost.