HVAR recoil

ShuRugal

If you want to make a reality argument, you cannot say, one rocket-firing weapon system doesn't have recoil, therefore no rocket-firing weapon system has recoil. Correlation does not prove causation.

You are right that generalizing from the particular to the universal is an invalid deduction, but that is not a correlation/causation fallacy.

As for physics, the rocket accelerates because the rocket engine pushes on the exploding rocket fuel, which pushes back on the rocket (3rd law). The rocket is not pushing on the wing. Rockets accelerate in the vacuum of space; they do need outside matter to push on to accelerate.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally! In case this is still being discussed....

Nice video.

Thanks. :)

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

You are right that generalizing from the particular to the universal is an invalid deduction, but that is not a correlation/causation fallacy.

As for physics, the rocket accelerates because the rocket engine pushes on the exploding rocket fuel, which pushes back on the rocket (3rd law). The rocket is not pushing on the wing. Rockets accelerate in the vacuum of space; they do need outside matter to push on to accelerate.

Unfortunately some people have been arguing for recoil in this very thread using videos of rockets firing from light trucks. They show an obvious reaction of the weapons platform (truck) to the firing of the rockets.

Personally I don't think the reaction of the truck is actually recoil, but rather caused by the friction of the rocket leaving the tube and the weight of the rocket being removed from the truck, and possibly some affect of the engine jet blowing on the launching tubes and mounting. But that is still just speculation and conjecture.

The Korean War video is nice --thumbs up for the find-- but I'm sure if someone is in a bad mood they'll argue that the 'recoil' is only a degree or two; invisible in such a film.

The gun camara videos are more illustrative IMHO. Coupled with the noted documentations and statement from Chuck Yaeger, and that nobody has been able to present any direct evidence of recoil while firing a rocket from the P-51D, I'm going to assume that the case has been made.

Sent from soul-sucking dumb-phone thru Tapier-Talk

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Unfortunately some people have been arguing for recoil in this very thread using videos of rockets firing from light trucks. They show an obvious reaction of the weapons platform (truck) to the firing of the rockets.

Personally I don't think the reaction of the truck is actually recoil, but rather caused by the friction of the rocket leaving the tube and the weight of the rocket being removed from the truck, and possibly some affect of the engine jet blowing on the launching tubes and mounting. But that is still just speculation and conjecture.

The Korean War video is nice --thumbs up for the find-- but I'm sure if someone is in a bad mood they'll argue that the 'recoil' is only a degree or two; invisible in such a film.

The gun camara videos are more illustrative IMHO. Coupled with the noted documentations and statement from Chuck Yaeger, and that nobody has been able to present any direct evidence of recoil while firing a rocket from the P-51D, I'm going to assume that the case has been made.

Sent from soul-sucking dumb-phone thru Tapier-Talk

+1 My sentiments exactly.

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

• 1 month later...

Another thing that baffles me about the trucks/jeeps firing rockets compared to aircraft: none of them, at least the ones in the videos shown, have 150-250mph of slipstream holding them stable at rocket launch.

Hellfires don't yaw a helicopter significantly when they're fired, and they are a lot larger than rockets, even the 5" ones on a P-51.

Edit: Sorry to bring back old stuff. Just was thinking about this.

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Update: It's fixed!!... in 2.1 Alpha :doh:

So patience, and when 1.5 and 2.1 are merged (maybe this year) we will have a universal fix, I hope :D

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Good things come to those who don't die while waiting :P

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

I would think the rocket exhaust below the wing would lead to a momentary (and probably unnoticeable) decrease in lift. Pretty much the inverse of ekranoplan designs which featured the engine exhaust traveling above the wing in order to increase lift.

The reduction in drag and weight from the fired rocket probably have much more of an effect.