AI Copilot burning out the engine (EGT abuse)

jetstorm96

Dear all,

We recently had an issue when switching to Autopilot / copilot in the UH-1H - the aircraft ended up burning the engine out and crashing.

It appears that the AI in this case are not aware of the EGT limitations - even though they were flying straight and level.

I have not done further testing but was wondering if this is actually an issue?

Has this occurred to anyone else?

Yes, I was noticing that my co-pilot was exceeding EGT green limit, so I took control again and backed off the collective a bit. When I switch back to co-pilot EGT temperature stays within safe zone. If you watch the controls and gauges when co-pilot is flying you can see fluctuations caused by control deflections. You have to setup collective so that it is low enough to stay within safe zone at highest excursions of the co-pilot.

• 1 month later...

It’s realistic.

I have to stop my real copilots from overtorquing or overtemping all the frickin time. :lol:

But all joking aside, it is a problem that goes way back, but that was merely a nuisance before the EGT limits came in.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2