F-5E update (Wags AMA)

RED

T-38 would be great for training purposes

An MFD would be nice - Did any F-5s ever get updates piper's ?

Sadly, the T-38C project died when IRIS pulled out of DCS years ago. Best you’ll find is the Milviz version for P3D. It’s pretty good; I’ve spent time in it, but P3D of course has its own litany of problems.

I'd be OK with just a texture and cockpit upgrade ala A10C.

I love the F5 for what it is, an old plane with old tech. For MFCDs and stuff like that I'd fly the hornet.

+1

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Pretty sure he was more or less referring to Graphical Updates/.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Yep, if there's anything updated past graphics I'd just want it as far as the Saudi export version they were going to do originally ( I believe that's just the 4x sidewinders + mavericks people refer to ) - keep it in period. The ex-Swiss ones used as aggressors have a whole bunch of differences, iirc ( built in Switzerland too, no? ).

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

All I want is:

Bug fixes

Updated textures

Refueling probe optional loadout

Anything more is gravy.

Even as is, the F5 is still one of my favorite modules.

Most modern radar, ILS,digital radios and IFF. :thumbup::pilotfly:

Edited by ThorBrasil

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

I wish the last version of the swiss f5e tiger II.

System

Hydro H115i with 8700k @ 4,9 ghz all cores, Asus strix Z370 f, 32gb ddr4 3600Mhz, Asusrog swift 34 gsync ,Vr hp Reverb .Palit gaming pro 2080 ti Thrustmaster Warthog f18grip and th pedal

Steamvr ss 100% and dcs world ss 180%

tomcat eats the viper for breakfast :P

Lange lebe die Tomcat": Long live the Cat!

In real F-5 landings, the plane is kept on rear wheels for a while for aero-braking. In DCS, no matter how soft you land, how fast or how slow you land, after the main gear touches, the nose wheel "wants to" reach to ground immediately. I am not sure about the FM, but this needs a fix.

Currently after the touchdown you need to add some pitch with your stick to keep the nose up, and usually this leads to small oscillation.

Edited by Terzi
typo

[CENTER]

Signum_Signatur.png

[/CENTER]

In real F-5 landings, the plane is kept on rear wheels for a while for aero-braking. In DCS, no matter how soft you land, how fast or how slow you land, after the main gear touches, the nose wheel "wants to" reach to ground immediately. I am not sure about the FM, but this needs a fix.

Currently after the touchdown you need to add some pitch with your stick to keep the nose up, and usually this leads to small oscillation.

I’m inclined to believe this is due to the DCS F-5 flight model being more “draggy” than the real thing. Mover, in his FAM flight video, noted during the break turn when he got the gear horn that “you wouldn’t slow down that fast.” He suggests that it may be due to the increased induced drag (compared to the T-38A he flies IRL) from the LEXs and slats, but that still doesn’t really explain the whole story since you can see F-5s in various YouTube videos aerobraking for nearly half their landing rollouts.

Edited by Chuck_Henry

Out of all F-5 Landings in switzerland, I have never, ever seen one aerobraking.

Aerobraking requires Pitch input to keep nose up until there is no more lift, then it falls

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Aerobraking requires Pitch input to keep nose up until there is no more lift, then it falls

Well you could trim it very nose up I guess, which does not seem a sound idea during a high workload procedure like landing and especially not if you have to abort...

Most Wanted: the angry Naval Lynx | Seafire | Buccaneer | Hawker Hunter | Hawker Tempest/Sea Fury | Su-17/22 | rough strip rearming / construction

would really love to have the swiss version. They have INS and more modern radios, and the outside model would need one antenna more. They also have better brakes, but I think the rest is more or less the same.

It would also be cool to have the target towing bag (https://www.google.ch/search?q=pc-9+schleppsack&sxsrf=ACYBGNQFBPRJ4u5dSPngU5Yxmz-F4WC4jw:1571995315907&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_qZLzirflAhWLmIsKHUiQDWcQ_AUIEigB&biw=1368&bih=780#imgrc=XD0OSZj1FAXfhM:), so you could train air to air shooting, or combinded arms shooting in a realistic manner. But I do realise that many people would rather have a different update, it would just be really cool to have the exact swiss verison for our squadron.

Louis|Dancer, foundation member of the digital Swiss Air Force, a group of enthusiasts trying to imitate everything that has to do with Swiss military aviation on dcs. If you want to join us, contact us via instagram.

our youtube chanel:dSAF

our instagram:dSAF

my rusty pc: msi gtx1080ti / ryzen 5 2600x / ga-ab350 gaming motherboard / 16gb ram / rift cv1 / warthog

Out of all F-5 Landings in switzerland, I have never, ever seen one aerobraking.

If you need to keep the landing distance as short as possible, lower the nose immediately after touchdown.

If you are going to use the drag chute, lower the nose immediately after touchdown.

In all videos of Swiss F-5 landings that I've seen they always used the drag chute.

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

If you need to keep the landing distance as short as possible, lower the nose immediately after touchdown.

If you are going to use the drag chute, lower the nose immediately after touchdown.

In all videos of Swiss F-5 landings that I've seen they always used the drag chute.

That's what I wrote. They never aerobrake, even if they have plenty of runway ahead of them.

That's what I wrote. They never aerobrake, even if they have plenty of runway ahead of them.

Again, I haven't seen a single video where they don't use the drag chute. Use of drag chute = no aero braking.

Is aerobraking thing this? Starts at 00:37

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Is aerobraking thing this? Starts at 00:37

Yes, I would call this aerobraking, but maybe that guy exagerated a bit :D

Again, I haven't seen a single video where they don't use the drag chute. Use of drag chute = no aero braking.

I think you misunderstood my posts...

You basically kind of disagreed that you agree that they never aerobrake.

? Maybe it's a language thing since we apparently don't understand each other.

It's irrelevant if there's 'plenty of runway ahead' or not. No aerodynamic braking if you are using the drag chute.

Edited by bbrz