F-16C Viper vs F/A - 18C hornet

Avarax

I don't think so. A muscle car can only go straight. Especially in the 80's they were worthless. The Tomcat despite it's size is very agile and could hang with the best of them. Although in game the Viper is great, and I love the module, it doesn't come close to the Tomcat in game. The Viper, like the Hornet, with it's fly by wire is too easy to fly. Just turn sideways and yank the stick back to an inch within blackout. The Tomcat is constantly adjusting inputs from stick an rudder. You "fly" the damn thing. For ground ops I'll usually take the Viper just because it's so damn easy to get on target with unguided munitions but if there's air to air involved, the Tomcat every time. In VR I'm just constantly smiling. Even during the flight to the target area. Always trimming, adjusting, etc. The Viper is just set course to steer point, and wait till you're there. If anything, that's a lot more muscle car to me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

As someone who road raced many different cars. I'd hardly say muscle cars can only go straight.

They were heavy with a lot of HP. Just like the F-14.

At least the Viper doesn't need a back seat driver helping the pilot. :P

Buzz

Only the A model. The B and D had upgraded engines that didn't have nearly as many issues, and a lot more thrust. The A for instance had to be launched with afterburner while the B and D would launch at mil.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The B's and D's were unreliable also

The B's and D's were unreliable also

F110's unreliable? When compared to the TF30's? You must be joking.........

Derivatives of F110's are also in use on Strike eagles and certain f16 blocks,

( which had 82% shared commonality between F110 on F14's)

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

F110's unreliable? When compared to the TF30's? You must be joking.........

Derivatives of F110's are also in use on Strike eagles and certain f16 blocks,

( which had 82% shared commonality between F110 on F14's)

You do know there’s more to an aircraft than it’s engines right?

I just got the hornet and it's doing the job well for a newbie like me, very easy to master, modern avionics.. But she's a little bit too much on rails, maybe it's FBW.. Was expecting something more temperamental. The only downside for now is that she's not the prettiest bird imho, the Cat is sexier hands down.

Once the CV burble is simulated on the upcoming carrier module, you'll be thankful for that FBW during a CASE III approach in bad weather :P. It also helps a lot for when you're heads down, programming weapons etc. The Cat needed a RIO because flying it and employing it was too much for one person. Not to mention that the FBW allows you to make some crazy low speed maneuvers that would cause you to deep stall 99% of the time otherwise.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

You do know there’s more to an aircraft than it’s engines right?

You do know He was talking engines not other aspects of tomcat, reliability or maintenance needs?

Other of which really isnt relevant in dcs or for the topic of this thread for that matter

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

I guess it depends what role interests you more. The Hornet has a few more toys to play with than the F-16 but also includes more complexity. If A2A and CAS are more your thing than the Falcon is the better choice. Despite being able to carry more missiles, the F/A-18 takes a hit in speed and agility with the F404 engines feeling rather underpowered in those conditions. If standoff-strike peeks your interest, than the Hornet would be the better choice though.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

F18 cuz Carrier Ops along with all the other goodness, but then I am biased.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

the F/A-18 takes a hit in speed and agility with the F404 engines feeling rather underpowered in those conditions.

Is there a secret g-limiter button on the F16? New to DCS so maybe there is a special speed where the F-16 shines, but I find the F/A-18 to be quite a bit more agile in both sustained and instantaneous turns. Zooming through mountain passes at tree top level and dodging buildings in cities, the F/A-18 has no trouble changing direction on a dime, where the F-16 can only take specific and shallower turns and must plan turns in advance with little to no ability to change directions at the last second. With the g-limiter on, the F/A-18 is less agile, but with it off, it can even handle more g loads with less threat of GLOC despite the more upright seat. Hopefully this is all down to F-16 being EA?

speaking of the f18 limiter, what it is called in the mapping controls? I can't seem to find it.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Paddle switch.

Yeah I know what it is in the real plane. But I have that mapped as my "shift" key, what is it in the command list?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yeah I know what it is in the real plane. But I have that mapped as my "shift" key, what is it in the command list?

Autopilot/Nosewheel Steering Disengage (Paddle) Switch. You can hit 10g easy on the F/A-18. I hit over 11g once. On the F-16 I can't get past 6-7g without greying out, and have to do g-warm ups just to hit 8g.

Edited by Syndrome