P51 not fun due to so many problems.

Snapage

Since before every t/o im warming up oil to 40 C and respecting max values for oil pressure at cold start and doing engine run up before t/o i encounter no engine fails when i don't use WEP

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not about getting more or less but getting first all the effects preceeding engine failure. Which is called feedback. If engine is running rough, if something is not going ok, you should see it or hear it. Most of the failures that happen are instant. Engine goes from 3000 RPM to complete stop in split second.

If I knew the reasons, Id not be here. I start the engine, warm it up (unlike most of the people) and cruise at about 40 - 45 " / 2700 RPM at 180 - 220 MPH. Temps are fine. So there is no visual indication that engine is about to fail.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Its not about getting more or less but getting first all the effects preceeding engine failure. Which is called feedback. If engine is running rough, if something is not going ok, you should see it or hear it. Most of the failures that happen are instant. Engine goes from 3000 RPM to complete stop in split second.

If I knew the reasons, Id not be here. I start the engine, warm it up (unlike most of the people) and cruise at about 40 - 45 " / 2700 RPM at 180 - 220 MPH. Temps are fine. So there is no visual indication that engine is about to fail.

Problem is if engine is giving feed back it is over already, + noise level in cockpit will overcome any subtle sound coming out of the engine, sound level coming out from exhaust stacks is 1000 time louder than anything else.

In engines equipped with exhaust manifolds or turbo system will be much much quieter like p-47 or p-38 but open exhaust stacks will overcome everything.

My question how can you cruise at 40-45" at 2700 rpm at 180-220 mph how can you do that with flaps lowered all the time ?? At this setting i hit 300 mph often

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Do you ever climb ? I mean if you fly over the trees at all times than surely you can hit 300 mph. But large portion of the online combat and flying involves climbing to an altitude. So to keep about 2000 ft/min rate of climbt I fly at 220 mph with the above setting. No use of flaps obviously.

Anyhow, 2/3 of my engine failures occured in a straight flight when crusing at 12.000 ft at about 300 mph TAS (checked the Tacview, wish it recorded engine settings too).

To be completely fair, a principally the same engine in Spitfire does not exhibit nearly as many issues as the P-51 one. In the past there were issues with overheating but after one of the patches I cant recall engine failure in Spitfire.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /

Do you ever climb ? I mean if you fly over the trees at all times than surely you can hit 300 mph. But large portion of the online combat and flying involves climbing to an altitude. So to keep about 2000 ft/min rate of climbt I fly at 220 mph with the above setting. No use of flaps obviously.

Anyhow, 2/3 of my engine failures occured in a straight flight when crusing at 12.000 ft at about 300 mph TAS (checked the Tacview, wish it recorded engine settings too).

To be completely fair, a principally the same engine in Spitfire does not exhibit nearly as many issues as the P-51 one. In the past there were issues with overheating but after one of the patches I cant recall engine failure in Spitfire.

There is evidently something wrong with your p-51 becouse at 12k at 2700rpm i often hit 300 kts based on NS430

over 300 IAS 12k

DxX5J8a.jpg

Edited by grafspee

That's what Tacview says and thats what I see on my main instruments.

Check if you are runing Mixture position at RUN position not emergency rich,

What i do in combat server i force low blower and cruise 12-14k looking for enemy.

180-220 IAS is extremly slow for 45" 2700 it is slow for 36" 2400rpm at 12k.

Something must be wrong on your side, if we are talking about levle flight at 12-14k

Low blower throttle wide open 42" 2700rpm 20k ft still 300mph ias

5RFE0Ne.jpg

Edited by grafspee

That's straight odd, and seems bug report worthy. I regularly run 55" 3000RPM right off the ground till 16,000ft, climbing at ~200mph. My engine has never not once busted on me during that phase of flight with those settings. I do keep my coolant door fully open however, during the climb, until I level off and stick it in auto.

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Please, I know how to level off and fly straight accelerating to the top speed. I can reach that speed too. You dont fly straight for more than a minute when doing combat and top speed isn't even a problem so I'm not sure what you are even trying to point out.

The speed of 220 mph is perfectly fine if coolant and oil temp gauges stay in green field. If they dont I bring the nose down / reduce the power. But they do stay within the limits as quite frankly, optimal climb speed for P-51 is mere 175 MPH CAS as per manual at Normal Power rating. And as I've said, Spitfire which is both slower aircraft yet with principally the same engine does not experience similar issues.

Please, I know how to level off and fly straight accelerating to the top speed. I can reach that speed too. You dont fly straight for more than a minute when doing combat and top speed isn't even a problem so I'm not sure what you are even trying to point out.

The speed of 220 mph is perfectly fine if coolant and oil temp gauges stay in green field. If they dont I bring the nose down / reduce the power. But they do stay within the limits as quite frankly, optimal climb speed for P-51 is mere 175 MPH CAS as per manual at Normal Power rating. And as I've said, Spitfire which is both slower aircraft yet with principally the same engine does not experience similar issues.

I m trying to understand how to cruise at those speeds with that power levels, It is impossible for me unless i climb all the time with 2000ft/min

And you said that you are cruising at those speed so it does not mean combat for me, i though that yo are patrolling at 45" 2700 with 180-220 mph IAS so i start thinking how is it possible to fly so slow for that power settings when at those power i hit 300 easy in less then minute since i levle off form climb.

I don't experience any issues i just burned good 120 gallons of flue so far when we are talking :P Right now i landed and asked for repairs no time so i guess no damage taken. Coolant/Oil on AUTO whole flight except take off i always open coolant doors for take off

Edited by grafspee

Ehh, I did not say its constant speed. Its speed I usually climb at from Novo to about middle of the map (using BS mission as a reference). Level speeds are higher, but they do change as I change directions every 20 - 30 sec.

I removed all key binding for mixture control and assigned only on my hotas. same with guns/bombs switch i often some how , maybe while typing in chat, switched mixture to emergency or turn off my arm switch for guns.

It is hard to track sometimes one switch will ruin everything.

At what power are you taking off ??

In manual it is said that 61" should be used, same in long low power cruise every 30 min engine should be run for about 10 min at military power to clear spark plugs. Maybe you fouling you spark plugs or something like that :) And additional sediment in combustion chamber increasing knock probability.

If you could provide track from this engine seizure would be nice

Edited by grafspee

I take-off at 55", its sufficient. No need to reach for 61". Also, I know that there is a need to run engine at higher rating every 30 min, however rarely there is a need for that due to the fact that it takes half of that time to get to combat area.

Burning Skies tracks are notoriously unreliable. I wish I could record live but doing so online when playing at 4k is a no no for me sadly.

Manual says other wise. "Open throttle to gate-61 in Hg at 3000 rpm"

I keep t/o power until i get about 1500 ft alt then i change power to climb.

Take note that our triple gage is from early versions.

JfFbBNz.png

late models instrument panel

F7qaHBl.jpg

Edited by grafspee

Ok, great. But what does that add ? Manual allows to open to 61". I take off at 55" / 3000 RPM since I told you, I dont need more than that for smooth take off.

This reminds me of something I thought of the other day, at mission end, where it records hits/shots, etc, it would be nice if it recorded specific failures, too, and possibly data on them.

''6:58pm engine overtemp/overrev''

''7:05pm engine failure''

For what it's worth, I've never had a completely random failure just cruising around.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Ok, great. But what does that add ? Manual allows to open to 61". I take off at 55" / 3000 RPM since I told you, I dont need more than that for smooth take off.

Try 61 next time maybe you will not get this engine problem, It is small thing which cause this problem.

^ I hope that's not the case. Would be nonsense if it was. Lower power settings are supposed to increase engine longevity, not decrease it.

Also, If I recall correctly, tutorial takeoff mission suggests using 50", doesn't it?

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

^ I hope that's not the case. Would be nonsense if it was. Lower power settings are supposed to increase engine longevity, not decrease it.

Also, If I recall correctly, tutorial takeoff mission suggests using 50", doesn't it?

When you got through manual you will encounter many times parts where military power is required, before landing, at take off, after long low power cruise,after diluting engien, full power is clearing spark plugs and combustion chamber.

50" is advised for newbie pilots, 55" inch is minimum for normal t/o, but after long taxi or long warm up 61" will clear engine and reduce engine fail chance during t/o.

When you got through manual you will encounter many times parts where military power is required, before landing, at take off, after long low power cruise,after diluting engien, full power is clearing spark plugs and combustion chamber.

50" is advised for newbie pilots, 55" inch is minimum for normal t/o, but after long taxi or long warm up 61" will clear engine and reduce engine fail chance during t/o.

I have heard similar things before. It's possible to have problems from babying an engine too much. It's worth remembering this is 1940s, cutting edge tech (yet still crude) tuned for performance. Like a Cessna is built for stability, but a Flanker is built for INstability. Or a Volkswagen Beetle vs a topfuel dragster. They aren't treated the same way. Makes sense to me, anyway.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

The mustang can take off just fine with only 40 MP and the engine will be fine as well.

Ofc it can but no one will ever do that ever.

High power t/o has not only one reason,

another one just safety, in case of engine lost you have more speed more alt.

Doesnt matter is it A B C or D manual of the p-51 take off always at military power.

Btw arent take offs performed at full power anyway for any other planes ??

H6YFY6o.png

Edited by grafspee

Ofc it can but no one will ever do that ever.

High power t/o has not only one reason,

another one just safety, in case of engine lost you have more speed more alt.

Doesnt matter is it A B C or D manual of the p-51 take off always at military power.

Btw arent take offs performed at full power anyway for any other planes ??

H6YFY6o.png

Spitfire goes to +8lbs (my preference), I've heard others say 12lbs. Depends on who you ask

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria