Comical AI behaviour

vanir

I'm a casual player and won't be setting up a proper home cockpit until I move so am still at the beginner's stage of familiarizing myself with mission building pure AI play-throughs and doing parking startups on clickable plane modules. I can FC3 a little bit with an Extreme 3D Pro but it's all I have, including mouse view to look around so I'm a couple of arms short of functioning well until the home cockpit upgrade next year when I move.

Just so you know where I'm coming from, just a light hearted thread mentioning some laughs I had doing the little I can at the moment with DCSW. And trying to learn the Combined Arms since that's at least one thing I can play around with mostly on mouse/keys. Man I'm less than halfway towards having any idea how to do a bunch of stuff.

But anybody else getting some comedic sketches in AI behaviour?

I was running through some CAS chopper missions on some opposing armour sections, one run I had the Mi8 attack with rockets and guns and the tanks, IFV and APC, even unarmed supply trucks all ignored that aside from returning fire with HMG and an Ural/AAA and not much damage was done, a couple of trucks wrecked before an engine on the Mi8 was flamed.

Replayed with an Mi24 loaded to the teeth with like 40% fuel and the instant the first Shturm hit every vehicle scattered, one BTR APC went for the beach and headed directly out into the Black Sea! All it needed was someone shouting in the background "OMG IT'S A HIND" and it'd be a classic Rambo movie moment.

That's just the one that sticks in mind because it just happened, but I get that somewhere around 1 in 8 or so little quick missions I throw together trying to familiarize myself. It kind of cracks me up a bit, it's pretty cool.

Just curious if anyone has links to some YouTubed comedic AI in DCSW by chance? I wouldn't be surprised if someone hasn't done a small collection or something.

It is not only the AI in DCs...

The British Military Open Encyclopedia - ARRSE-Pedia. Back to British Army Rumour Service Home

Kangaroo Squadron

The Australian armed forces use simulators to train their helicopter pilots.

Because of some of the unique features of Oz, basic simulation packages need to be tweeked to represent the unique flora and fauna of down under.

One specific case is that herds of Kangaroos react in a very specific was to helicopters (they run ... err ... bounce directly away from the noise), so helicopter pilots require to remember this since it gives away their position and angle of approach.

A junior programmer was given the task of creating herds of Kangaroos for a helicopter simulator. However the code monkey was a lazy sort so rather than create a Roo from scratch, he used a basic infantryman package as a starting point. He altered the speed of movement, graphic, reaction to helicopter noise and then went down the pub safe in the knowledge that no-one would guess he had cut corners.

First time the simulator was used with the Roo code, the chopper pilots were surprised as this was a new feature they had never seen. For a laff they decided to buzz the poor beasts. The Kangaroos did as their programming told them to and fled directly away from the helicopter behind a small hill.

The pilots were still grinning about giving skippy and his family a fright when the Kangaroos appeared on the other side of the hill, stopped and launched some portable Surface to Air Missles.

The programmer had forgot to remove the weapons from the original template. Needless to say he was given an interview without coffee BUT the armed kangaroos were left in the program to make sure that helicopter pilots in Oz remember to stay away from Kangaroos.

This may be an urban myth but who cares, makes me laugh!

No idea what happened to that cows project, but now I do want a few kangaroos...

There are a few classics in DCS. From tanks blowing themselves up because they just didn't see a house right in front of their barrel (back in the day when they regularly could see through buildings and trees), to all kinds of vehicles circumventing destroyed bridges by just wading through 30ft deep water and emerging on the other side without hitch, to the aforementioned enemies fleeing right into the ocean (and consequently becoming invincible).

One in particular I always liked was setting up a flight of Tornados on a SEAD mission who - upon becoming aware of a SAM installation - dump their ALARMs and run away full burner. (It works with all sorts of aircraft, really, but that's the one I first saw it at and found it particularly funny considering they were well-equipped to deal with the threat, but just didn't bother.)