[CHECKING] Low Resistance of Mi-8 - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-17-2019, 11:58 PM   #41
AlphaOneSix
Veteran

When the cockpit armor is installed, it usually includes armor plate for the sides of the engines, flight control servos, and the hydraulic compartment. The armor is basically just quarter inch steel plate.
AlphaOneSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:30 AM   #42
Sniper175

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaOneSix View Post
When the cockpit armor is installed, it usually includes armor plate for the sides of the engines, flight control servos, and the hydraulic compartment. The armor is basically just quarter inch steel plate.
Thats more than enough to stop 5.56 and Ak fire. Hopefully the INF get tuned a little.

Thanks for the info
Old 10-27-2019, 01:20 PM   #43
Richard Dastardly

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/art...npads-hit.html - that I believe is the aftermath of the video, not the crashing-in-flames result.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:42 PM   #44
msalama
Veteran

Yeah Richie, that's the one I was talking about at least. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:56 PM   #45
Richard Dastardly

Although, that's damage on the right side of the airframe ( I think ) & the missile in the vid hit on the left, so.... either way that is a huge amount of damage it handled.

Last edited by Richard Dastardly; 11-02-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Richard Dastardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:57 PM   #46
Blackjackk

I was flying the Mi-8 last night and it is extremely frustrating to be downed on a regular basis by a single soldier with an assault rifle. The Mi-8 should be stronger than the UH1, but that is certainly not the case in DCS.
Blackjackk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:21 PM   #47
Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper175 View Post
Hopefully the INF get tuned a little.

+1
Old 11-07-2019, 10:28 PM   #48
Sephyrius

The infantry have always felt more deadly than most vehicles - especially without tracers and superhuman accuracy - so they definitely need to be tuned.

On a surprisingly positive note though, I flew the Mi-8 for the first time ever today, and I really enjoyed the damage model...Getting shot up by a humvee, engine fire and losing power but enough to do a crash landing with the rotors flopping, gear buckled but ended up sliding through the snow, then coming to a stop with the glass having been shot up or damaged in the crash, but alive.

In the Gazelle it's 2-3 bullets, and then "peeeeeeeeeeew" as the engine dies in a split second and you freefall and get vaporized on the ground instantly. Sure, it's weaker, but it acts the same regardless of if its small arms fire or a missile strike, just seems like a lazy Arma 3-level damage model.
Sephyrius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:23 PM   #49
delevero

its also my impression that the mi8 is to easy to shoot down.

as another simmer wrote somewhere then i also kind of given up using the weapons on the heli since i pretty much get shot down everytime since the heli is so fragile.

What typical take me down is infantry gunfire, sometimes one single hit will just kill your heli, while in rare cases you can take 5-8 hits without nothing happening ( in the side of the heli ).

To me the mi8 feel like its made of glass, and need to be more tough.
example if 1x infantry is standing on the landing pad of an oil rig with a rifle with 7.62mm and you get withing firing range and hit.. The soldier wins and heli crash into the ocean.

( ps.. i love the mi8 its a great heli and fly fantastic in dcs )
My best strategy is to stay away from trouble, always run never fight.. and if I dare bring rockets or gun along i shoot from up high on max range and turn hard left or right and fly away after i fire. But in general i avoid the fight
delevero is offline   Reply With Quote