F-16 Simpit Plans - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 11-02-2019, 05:58 AM   #31
Wicked.-

Same here on no response from Viperpits and I've had a login there since 2005 lol. Same avatar and everything!

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.
Wicked.- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:36 PM   #32
Stang

Hi Guys

I'm available and the F-16C, F/A-18C and P-51D CAD Plans are available too. Just shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

Stang out
Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:56 AM   #33
Wicked.-

First off, thank you Hempstead for you work. A buddy and I were able to 3D print the grip and use it for prototyping from your drawing.

Next, does anyone have a picture of the insides of a real Viper grip?

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Last edited by Wicked.-; 11-05-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Wicked.- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:52 PM   #34
Hempstead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked.- View Post
First off, thank you Hempstead for you work. A buddy and I were able to 3D print the grip and use it for prototyping from your drawing.

Next, does anyone have a picture of the insides of a real Viper grip?
The attached are pictures of the inside of the F16 TQS. The first one, the black one, is the real one with all the parts. Although I didn't really model the inside except the 3 "islands" for accepting the screws, it's in general quite "close" to the original with some small modification for modeling convenience. In general, I used 0.1" thickness and tried to keep that thickness everywhere.

The 2nd picture is the result of my bronze casting of it (chopped it up in multiple pieces for easy casting and extraction, 3D prints, silicon RTV mold, and then traditional lost wax casting process, and TIG weld them back together... and a lot of sanding.). The inside of it is very close to the real one. Why bronze? It's the local Pratt Fine Arts Institute, where I took class and cast them. Artists do bronze... they don't do aluminum, so I observed Pratt is a Fine Art institute. And I actually quite like the extra heft of bronze, and this thing would never get off the ground, so weight is not an issue.

And don't ask... Although I cast total of 4 sets, in anticipation that some would fail, I lucked out and ended up with 4 sets. I will not sell this stuff. It would a violation of LMCO's copyrights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1216.png
Views:	82
Size:	558.2 KB
ID:	220758   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1217.png
Views:	78
Size:	565.4 KB
ID:	220759  

Last edited by Hempstead; 11-08-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Hempstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:22 PM   #35
Boltz

Wow Hempstead, excellent quality casting you have done there! Very impressive work
Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:11 PM   #36
Hempstead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltz View Post
Wow Hempstead, excellent quality casting you have done there! Very impressive work
Actually, this is the worst casting of the 4 sets. There were voids in this set, and I almost threw it away due to the casting defects. But I figured I could use it as a "tech testing" piece using different tools/techniques on it before using them on the other 3 sets. For instance, would 100A DCEN on the TIG welding work? Yes, kind of, and my TIG welding skill sucks big time, but my sanding skill is plenty good enough to cover that shortcoming.

As you can see in the picture below, it's not perfect. There is a little gap between the upper and lower main body, and there are still some small holes in the screw hole. But it looks great and feels great in my hand too. Well... I am an amateure, I can happily live with such results.

I am currently working on the guts of this thing... among other things, the optical HAT switch, mini-Hall sensor, and the controller (not necessarily based on Hempstick). But you see where I am going in the LONG run. The 3D model is just one of the first steps... the least "valuable" part of this "long run."

I would have shared all of them OpenSource (I am going so far in compiling Linux kernel myself, writing Linux kernel drivers/modules, and learning Yocto to get my own Linux distribution, etc. etc.), but unfortunately, somebody has to violate the OpenSource licensing terms. So, now I can't figure out how to share without getting my shit stolen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1184.png
Views:	51
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	220946  

Last edited by Hempstead; 11-11-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Hempstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:03 PM   #37
Spitty

Wonderful effort.TIG work is hard in the best conditions...
Spitty is offline   Reply With Quote