RAZBAM - Cold&Dark

Xordus

Why are many of the switches in RAZBAM's aircraft "pre-flipped"? Is it really a Cold&Dark startup when the skid switch is still on and the generator switches are still flipped among many others? I understand some people want to just get in the air as quickly as possible but it seems to go against the value of authenticity.

The other devs don't do this and as a result I seem to learn their systems more quickly and to a deeper degree. I'm just wondering if I'm in the minority being annoyed by this. I don't like the idea of "simplifying" startups for the sake of "ease of access". I don't like that you can bypass the M-2000c INS sequence (maybe shorten it some if you must). This is supposed to be a high-fidelity "Simulator" after all.

I still love RAZBAM aircraft, I just feel like these decisions lessen the authenticity of the product and devalue their efforts elsewhere.

Realistically speaking most of the things we do on startup in DCS would be done by someone else while we, the pilot, are thinking about other things in a briefing room

Whatever level of preflight preparation the devs think is appropriate is alright by me although it would be nice to have the option to set everything to an off or neutral position by default for training purposes and a "QRA" setting where everything is set up ready for you to hit the button should you want it

Not sure how much of that is possible in DCS as it stands anyway.

What you think is realistic, isn't actually. In fact, normally there is a ground crew that "sets up " the aircraft to a certain state for the pilot to get in and start his pre-flight checks. This is separate from the "game mode" where you jump in and fly. so far anyway, there are no flight crew simulations in the game, it would be nice to see some especially when refueling and re-arming.

I love the realism in flight simulations and so I agree with you. I think that all DCS World is the best option in the Combact Flight Simulators. Now I think that we could find a solution with a simply compromise. That is... when we buy a module (I own both Mirage and Harrier) we shoult find inside a FREE FLIGHT mission just to take a look at the simulator since we can't wait for study of manual for the very first minutes..

I know virtual pilots want to fly as soon as possible.. ;-).

So in this case (FREE FLIGHT MISSION) we can have an aircraft powered in and in taxy or in the parking area. All other mission should start from a COLD situation of the aircraft. All knobs and switches at the OFF position. The real satisfation is to understand how an airplane does work.

In this case I imagine to have my knob & switches non completely in OFF position during my last landing. So I have to do a first check, a pre-flight check to put all these in OFF positions before starting my COLD START procedure.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/139168989452694/about/

ASUS ROG - TM Hotas Warthog - TM Hotas Cougar - TM F-18 Grip - Oculus Rift S - Track IR 5

I even ask to RAZBAM, since their products are really wonderfull, to fix better the turning knobs. It's just a suggestion naturally.

I prefer to move this controls with the mouse wheel for it's much more realistic than click and move the mouse up to obtain the effect. So we can stay in the knobs as the real pilot do during the settings.

To do this, while in the Mirage the effect of the mouse wheel is sensible in AV-8B it takes too much turns to obtain the effect. Think to how much turns are necessari for example for the lighting knobs.

If it's possible I think it should be better to obtain the effect staying in the knobs and with few moves set the right parameters with the mouse wheel. Try the difference from Mirage and Harrier to to better understand this. However are both models absolutely to buy... ;-)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/139168989452694/about/

ASUS ROG - TM Hotas Warthog - TM Hotas Cougar - TM F-18 Grip - Oculus Rift S - Track IR 5

Note that even in a "Cold & dark" situation far from all switches are in the off position.

The Generator switch, as an example, will only be turned off in a maintanance situation.

Some switches has a "Norm" position and is rarely ever moved out of that position.

Regarding the Anti-Skid switch on the AV-8B, it makes sense to have it in the "On" position, since that puts the Nose wheel steering into "catser" mode, meaning that the nosewheel will swivel freely, wheras in the "Off" position the Nose wheel will be powered and thus could harm the ground crew if moved.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

Your job as the pilot is to check that the switches are in the positions you require them to be in, not necessarily to switch all of them yourself -- if they are out of position from your procedure, change them. The ground crew will take care of a lot of the "switch flipping" for you in advance.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Why are many of the switches in RAZBAM's aircraft "pre-flipped"? Is it really a Cold&Dark startup when the skid switch is still on and the generator switches are still flipped among many others? I understand some people want to just get in the air as quickly as possible but it seems to go against the value of authenticity.

The other devs don't do this and as a result I seem to learn their systems more quickly and to a deeper degree. I'm just wondering if I'm in the minority being annoyed by this. I don't like the idea of "simplifying" startups for the sake of "ease of access". I don't like that you can bypass the M-2000c INS sequence (maybe shorten it some if you must). This is supposed to be a high-fidelity "Simulator" after all.

I still love RAZBAM aircraft, I just feel like these decisions lessen the authenticity of the product and devalue their efforts elsewhere.

As far as M-2000C is concerned, TR, ALT1 and ALT2 switches seems to remain on (M) even when the plane is shut down if this is what you're talking about.

091.thumb.JPG.baddd80cc91c9fc8152a52589b681eb1.JPG

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

It's not just those switches, when you load missiles they're already receiving coolant. It's not a deal breaker, the modules are great but I buy them, not only to "be the pilot", but to have a fully functioning re-creation of the aircraft. If a lot of switches are bypassed or have no functionality it cheapens the presentation and breaks the illusion of fidelity.

On the M-2000: the INS isn't complete and half the PCA buttons don't work... The missiles already receive coolant, the INS can be bypassed, etc... I'm not reporting bugs for the most part, they're design decisions and I don't get the design choice to dumb this stuff down.

When a dev makes a plane, they don't care how its used, what they're selling is a faithful representation of the aircraft for you to do what you wish. Its just annoying that RAZBAM has decided to include shortcuts and leave systems unfinished as long as they don't pertain directly to combat. I don't like the precedent it sets either.

On the M-2000: the INS isn't complete

What is missing ? I know that the RD functionality and the inflight creation of a synthetic runway is missing, but I don't see anything else

half the PCA buttons don't work...

Most if not all the PCA buttons work, only the RD (linked to INS) and TAF are not working (TAF does not work in the real plane, canceled system) and RDO doesn't do what it is supposed to do but all the other buttons are working.

The missiles already receive coolant

This is how it work in the real plane.

From the real manual :

Missile S530 et MAGIC : Four distinct operation are needed before their usage

-The warm-up (no action required by the pilot)

-The preparation : automaticaly forced by the system ; The pilot can stop the automatisation to cancel/restart the preparation at will by using the buttons : "PRE MISS" or "PRE MAG" of the PPA.

[...]

I'm not reporting bugs for the most part, they're design decisions and I don't get the design choice to dumb this stuff down.

Nothing is dumbed down. The available manual (French) gives a lot of info on the mirage and shows that RB's M2000C is really close to the real deal. Also the missing/broken stuff is acknowledged by the devs and they want to add/fix them all.

Edited by myHelljumper

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

Indeed, the missile auto warm up isn't a bug, it's a feature.

Mirage 2000C is an interceptor optimized for QRA. By default in real life, on cold & dark start up the missile preparation is launched automatically.

You can interrupt it like myHelljumper said.

You can launch the missile's preparation with PPA or just by selecting the weapon on throttle (Magic) or PCA (Super 530D), and even this can be done in game.

If you have a doubt about a system it's better to ask questions than to wrongly claim a bug. :smilewink:

• Like 1

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi