DCS-BIOS: Overview and Announcements

FSFIan

• 2 weeks later...

Occasionally MP DCS Bios HUB freezes during flight. Shows that there is a connection in progress but no data is being transferred. I have to go out and re-enter the mission to keep things working again. After replacing the plane, the Arduino UNO regenerates, but the Arduino MEGA unfortunately does not. So far I have noticed this problem on the A-10CII.

Arduino UNO after disconnecting from the COM port and reconnecting it connects to DCSBios and starts working. However, the Arduino Mega when I disconnect, you have to enter the new plane to start communication with DCS Bios on them.

Edited by padonis

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, can anyone advise if there is any way to increase the rate of transmission of data, or at least measure and log it for the purposes of outputting information to arduinos for use with stepper motors? As described in another thread, I have narrowed down some very poor quality of stepper motor movement for gauges to either the data rate refresh from the DCS BIOS output, or how frequently the Arduinos are processing that data to send to the stepper motor.

Cheers

Les

I am also having issues with the DCS-BIOS hanging up with multiple Coms open (10) tried with just one com and ran with no issues for an hour+ . anyone know of a fix for this issue?

One more here. I have 6x Arduino Nanos, and using two powered USB 3.0 hubs that each communicate to 3x Arduinos. My rig was operating perfectly until last week, when I added the 6th Nano (maybe a coincidence?).

All works for a while, sometimes for several minutes into the mission, sometimes just for a few seconds. Then DCS BIOS HUB shows no information on any COMS, including COM1 where there is no Arduino but shows by default.

This is really annoying, and unpredictable. I have tried with less Arduinos but eventually all hangs up again.

Was there any update that bugged DCS BIOS? Or is this another USB 3.0 issue? Whatever it may be, it is extremely frustrating as I want to add even more Arduinos...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

While waiting for the DCS-BIOS Discussion thread to be updated/added, I wish to ask for some help here.

I am trying to add Electrical system code snippets for the mi-8 to a sketch. When I try to use "115V Inverter" and "36W Inverter", it will not compile. From what I can tell, the program does not like a variable which begins with a number. 

Any guidance on fixing this would be much appreciated. Everything else works as intended, but it means I cannot run a cold start without having to flick those two switches up using a mouse in the virtual cockpit....

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] www.blacksharkden.com

bsd sig 2021.jpg

Mi8 fix is made (changed the entrie names) and uploaded to the Master branch of FlightpanelsFork.

For Hub i dont know if i should upload them, since it will break existing Pits.

i overhaul the whole lua and fixes lot of issues (double entries, missing, different entries with same name,...). but that causes the addreses for the switches to change and that break existing programms.

@mole: if you want to test contact me and if its not that bad i can upload it to HUB also

4 hours ago, BlackLibrary said:

Mi8 fix is made (changed the entrie names) and uploaded to the Master branch of FlightpanelsFork.

i overhaul the whole lua and fixes lot of issues (double entries, missing, different entries with same name,...). but that causes the addreses for the switches to change and that break existing programms.

@mole: if you want to test contact me and if its not that bad i can upload it to HUB also

Thanks BlackLibrary, I will check it out and let you know how it goes!

SCAN Intel Core i9 10850K "Comet Lake", 32GB DDR4, 10GB NVIDIA RTX 3080, HP Reverb G2

Custom Mi-24 pit with magnetic braked cyclic and collective. See it here: Molevitch Mi-24 Pit.

bsd sig 2021.jpg

On 12/4/2020 at 12:11 AM, molevitch said:

Thanks BlackLibrary, I will check it out and let you know how it goes!

On 12/3/2020 at 7:37 PM, BlackLibrary said:

Hi BlackLibrary,

I am struggling a bit with trying to set this Mi-8 fix file. I am currently using DCS-BIOS Hub, but cannot figure out how to add this new code. Do I need to revert to a non-hub version of DCS-BIOs? Or can i simply copy and paste the new code somewhere? If so, I am not sure where it should go....
Thanks,

mole

Don't worry! I figured out what I needed to do. I simply edited the json and Lua files in the Appdata/roaming/dcs-bios folder to use the corrected item names. So that works now, but it means I did not really test your updated file....

Edited by molevitch

bsd sig 2021.jpg

• 1 month later...

I dunno if it's okay to ask question here, but here goes.

Been trying to get a rotary encoder to work with the Harrier, and it seems to work fine with variable step encoders, but when I try it with fixed, no matter which way I turn the encoder, the value only increases (in this case it's the radio channel select function).

Is that a problem with the module/software or possible me using a wrong type of encoder?

Hi Corvidae,

I´ve found out that for fixed step rotaries an additional argument has to be used, in my case 4 “steps per detent”.

Not like documented, that number of steps per detent must not be in angle brackets.

That didn´t work for my setup.

Just put it in the curved brackets after the pin numbers, like that:

DcsBios::RotaryEncoder ilsVol("ILS_VOL", "-6553", "+6553", 11, 12, 4);

Best regards,

Vinc

Edited by Vinc_Vega

Regards, Vinc

real life: Royal Bavarian Airforce

online: VJS-GermanKnights.de

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3 hours ago, Vinc_Vega said:

Hi Corvidae,

I´ve found out that for fixed step rotaries an additional argument has to be used, in my case 4 “steps per detent”.

Not like documented, that number of steps per detent must not be in angle brackets.

That didn´t work for my setup.

Just put it in the curved brackets after the pin numbers, like that:

DcsBios::RotaryEncoder ilsVol("ILS_VOL", "-6553", "+6553", 11, 12, 4);

Best regards,

Vinc

Tried it but it sadly didn't work, it still only increases no matter which way I turn the encoder 😕

So the code I have for this is just this: DcsBios::RotaryEncoder ufcCom1Sel("UFC_COM1_SEL", "DEC", "INC", 3, 2,);

That should just be it right?

*edit* Another piece of the puzzle: I tried it with the Bingo fuel set knob, which is also Rotary fixed, and it works fine, so must be something specific with the Harrier radio channel control command.

Edited by Corvidae

13 minutes ago, Vinc_Vega said:

Maybe you have a different rotary encoder, based on 2 or 3 increments for the radio channel?

Not sure if follow...the "2" and "3" in the code are the pins I used.

I also teares the same encoder with the bingo fuel set knob and that works fine, even though it's also a fixed step rotary.

Almost seems like there's something wrong with the code specifically for the channel select.

I know that 2 and 3 are the pins in use (those with the interrupts at UNO or NANO).

I just found out that an additional argument after the pin numbers may solve the problem.

That way I did it for the ILS-Panel of the A-10C.

DCS-BIOS documentation isn´t right at that point.

The default value in Encoders.h seems to be "ONE_STEP_PER_DETENT".

Edited by Vinc_Vega

Regards, Vinc

real life: Royal Bavarian Airforce

online: VJS-GermanKnights.de

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

54 minutes ago, Vinc_Vega said:

I know that 2 and 3 are the pins in use (those with the interrupts at UNO or NANO).

I just found out that an additional argument after the pin numbers may solve the problem.

That way I did it for the ILS-Panel of the A-10C.

DCS-BIOS documentation isn´t right at that point.

The default value in Encoders.h seems to be "ONE_STEP_PER_DETENT".

I've tried that but it didn't work sadly.

Do i change anything else.