Why the HUD data in a MFD? - Page 4 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-11-2017, 07:59 AM   #31
Mule

Reputation power: 12
Mule is a jewel in the roughMule is a jewel in the roughMule is a jewel in the roughMule is a jewel in the roughMule is a jewel in the roughMule is a jewel in the roughMule is a jewel in the roughMule is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofightr View Post
It's for redundancy, in case the HUD display actually fails. The standby instruments are placed way down the front console and would be a pain to constantly reference during IFR and night.

If the HUD is working normally then you would never have the hud repeated on the DDIs unless you were on autopilot and was doing some serious heads-down map reading on the HSI and kneeboard wanted to glance at the DDI to verify altitiude and speed are still good.

-retired f18 pilot
Thanks!
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:17 PM   #32
capthaltli

Reputation power: 10
capthaltli is on a distinguished road

A little more detail on redundancy, if the HUD fails, switching to the DDI HUD is easier for the pilot to do since all the information is displayed in the same format. As opposed to if the HUD failed and switching to the stand by instruments (steam gauges) it would take some mental switching gears - which would not be good during night or IFR ops.

My buddy who flew with VFA-37, had a No HUD carrier landing at night, and got his only OK pass ever.

Z170; i7 6700K (4.6 GHz Overclock) Quad H115i; 32GB HyperX DDR4 SDRAM 2666MHz; 8GB Zotac AMP Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080; Oculus Rift CV1; Warthog HOTAS

My F/A-18E Hornet Pit Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMC0VXspzb8
capthaltli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:40 PM   #33
Fri13

Reputation power: 11
Fri13 is just really niceFri13 is just really niceFri13 is just really niceFri13 is just really niceFri13 is just really niceFri13 is just really niceFri13 is just really niceFri13 is just really niceFri13 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog 7.62 View Post
Bingo, we have a winner. Military pilots spend a lot of time "head down" in their radars and other sensors, this allows them to still see critical flight info without looking up. I was told this by a very experienced USAF F-22 flight instructor.
I have wondered why a Su-27 etc have their SPI-15 RWR at bottom instead just next to HUD. And only logic I have is that when you are maneuvering high G, it is easier to look slightly down so your important instruments are still in vision cone.

This is something we don't have in DCS, we can freely move a head and body instead tightly strapped to seat or semi-tightly that is limiting capability look at six (ie why F-16 bubble starting at elbow is so great vs F-18 that is deeper and blocked more at six) and especially when pulling higher G forces we can just look around like nothing affecting us.

A HUD repeater became important for me in VR as it makes landings far more easier in hars weather as snow doesnt cause problems for focusing. And same time it is easier to do avoidance maneuvers when RWR is at low.
Fri13 is offline   Reply With Quote