Wishlist for a modular HOTAS

Ok,

So this is a bit of a wishlist item for me, but I think if a company offered something like this it would sell like hotcakes.

A bit of background, I fly excluisvely in VR, and this to a point dictates these requirements. When in VR, I want the physical stick and throttle to be as close to what I'm seeing in VR. But since I'm in VR, I don't particularly want to be fumbling around with various panel switches like you get on the warthog throttle for instance (aside from the flap switch).

Basically what I want to be able to do "in game" is to swap grips/throttles between different planes. Also, given that there is some parts recycling between US airframe's at least you can do multiple planes with only a few different "parts" (I.e. F18 stick is in the F15 and sort of in the harrier). I'm already sort of doing this by having muliple throttles/sticks connected in game buts getting to be a hassle.

So wish list.

Stick:

FFB base

Compatible with various extensions

Hot swappable sticks (in game) I want to be able to switch out an F18 stick for a F16 style grip or mig style without restarting. And have it be a quick disconnect.

Throttle

Idle and AB detents, that are easy to turn on/off (some sort of switch)

Hot swappable Throttle components. I.e. I want to be able to swap and A10C/F15 style for F18 style handles with the various HOTAS controls.

Maybe a single or dual throttle versions, or if its doable just have a dual and be able to put a single throttle "grip" on it like a F16 grip.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Considering VKB sticks, they would need to make the stick hot-swappable. As the HOTAS electronics and the computer (ARM processor) is in the black box, it should in theory be able to make hot swappable without going to configs and halting the HOTAS and then swapping and resuming.

As well what would be needed is to have the throttle have a base, a sliding mechanism (that VKB is developing) and then so you can pull both collective grips from the sticks and swap to something else.

Of course it would not change slider to tilting but at least there could in theory be a change to swap the grip from Su-57 one to something else like a F-16 one. So you get two sliders and single slider. Base is same, sliding mechanism is same but grips changes.

If VKB and "Official DCS HOTAS" would communicate with the DCS itself so it would be enough to example to press a hotkey and it would park the HOTAS and then allow you hotswap the grips and then resume, it would be great.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Yeah I figure the hot-swap issue is one that can be fixed. I.e. having a button on the base or something to shutdown the stick while you swap it or something like that. Its been way too long since I've played with actually programming hardware but I think its well within the realm of possibility.

And yes thats exactly what I'm talking about for the throttle, keep the sliding mech the same and just pop the tops on/off. I realize it won't be 100% for all different types of sliders (mig-29 vs F15 work differently) but its a minor thing.

The only other thing I would do is also add an additional "shift" button to all sticks so you can map a few more commands to them if needed. (I have stuff like kneeboard/recenter VR/VR zoom mapped to shift commands)

If VKB wants to do this I'd totally be in line to buy one.

Also if they wanted to add a helicopter set of grips and a separate, modular collective I'd be down to buy one too.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The only other thing I would do is also add an additional "shift" button to all sticks so you can map a few more commands to them if needed. (I have stuff like kneeboard/recenter VR/VR zoom mapped to shift commands)

Why to add a one button more as modifier, when you can have already something in HOTAS to do that?

The VKB approach is nice where example you can set a break leveler to have a modifier button at the end of the pull. I use it for air brakes typically in FC3 aircrafts so I can apply wheel brakes and as well extend air brakes with one leveler.

Same thing is that you can change one of the hats to be a modifier with single press and then have the same hat directions as those functions as you want.

Mostly because I want to keep as much of the original buttons as original.

Didn't know you could map 2 things to a vipril stick like that.

Mostly because I want to keep as much of the original buttons as original.

Didn't know you could map 2 things to a vipril stick like that.

I don't know can you do that with a Virpil, but with a VKB you can do that. That is how you get the two analog hats to work as four different ones by pressing long or short either one as example. So you can make one hat to have a analog axis in one mode and then second mode work as a 8-way hat and you swap between those with a long press like 0.8 seconds.