Warthog HOTAS $300 Walmart deal

--

ASRock Z370 Gaming K6 | Intel 8600K @ 5.0| 16 GB DDR4 3000 | nVidia GTX 1080Ti | Samsung 850 Pro 512GB M.2 | TrackIR 5 | Rift CV1 | TM HOTAS Warthog | Win 10 x64 |

This is an awesome deal. I already have two fully functional Warthog HOTAS, but at this price it is tempting to get a third. There are some critical flaws in this product, but overall it is still the best value available. At this price, it is insane not to get it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

that is an awesome price for the full HOTAS

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

What are the critical flaws?

The number of occurrences is relatively small (%), being the most common complain gimbal stiction and "slew":

1 - Stiction in gimbal, an popular workaround is dismantle (what led some people to destroy internal connectors, cables... :D) sand and apply Nyogel 767A ($15 per small tube).

2 - When manipulate by "wrong" hands, the "articulation sphere" of gimbal - made in plastic, can broken, an replacement cost ~30 Euros.

3 - In really "wrong" hands, besides the articulation sphere" the magnet support inside gimbal "bell" can broken too, in this case Thrustmaster suggestion is buy a new base.

4 - The "neck" under grip may suffer "Zinc pest" and broken - most of metal parts of the famous "build like a tank" are in ZAMAC. Thrustmaster sell replacement*, 3D printed replacement is available in Debolestis Shapeways shop, no case of broken is know, but when printed in plastic may flex a bit.

5 - The "slew" in throttle is considered by most players almost useless, because operation result very imprecise. An ~50 Euros 3rd party replacement option exist.

* Are cases (in this forum) in what the owners claim that Thrusmaster support negate sell replacement parts.

Edited by Sokol1_br

The number of occurrences is relatively small (%), being the most common complain gimbal stiction and "slew":

[...]

6. If you plug in the stick backwards and tighten it down, you can pop the base connector into the base...

(I was able to work around it by installing a stick extension and extender cable, so it all worked out in the end, but not everyone is looking to do that.)

The worst flaw, and the one the finally got me after many years of use, is simply plugging in the throttle can kill the control board, rendering the throttle useless. Other people had worse luck than me and lost their throttles in relatively short time.

Under warranty, such a repair might be "free" of monetary cost, but do they have the board in stock and what do you have to pay out of pocket if you have to ship the throttle to them and back? I bought the board and shipped it... wasn't particularly cheap, but it was much cheaper than a new throttle and now it works 100% correct again.

Aside from the stiction issue (which isn't present on every stick), the "feel" of the centering systems near the center is horrible. You can feel a solid transition as you hit the center then move to the opposite spring, both in pitch and roll. Of course, if you like a really solid "centering" feel, maybe you consider this a plus. But the VKB has different cams and the one I am using centers just fine but is smooth as glass as you approach and cross the center: you don't feel any kind of "bump", perfectly smooth/frictionless.

Using a 10 or 15 cm extension greatly improves the precision/feel of the Warthog (besides the "stiction" and the "bumpy" transition as you cross the center, the springs are a bit stiff and difficult to overcome without overcontrolling without the leverage provided by an extension).

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The worst flaw, and the one the finally got me after many years of use, is simply plugging in the throttle can kill the control board, rendering the throttle useless. Other people had worse luck than me and lost their throttles in relatively short time.

Under warranty, such a repair might be "free" of monetary cost, but do they have the board in stock and what do you have to pay out of pocket if you have to ship the throttle to them and back? I bought the board and shipped it... wasn't particularly cheap, but it was much cheaper than a new throttle and now it works 100% correct again.

Aside from the stiction issue (which isn't present on every stick), the "feel" of the centering systems near the center is horrible. You can feel a solid transition as you hit the center then move to the opposite spring, both in pitch and roll. Of course, if you like a really solid "centering" feel, maybe you consider this a plus. But the VKB has different cams and the one I am using centers just fine but is smooth as glass as you approach and cross the center: you don't feel any kind of "bump", perfectly smooth/frictionless.

Using a 10 or 15 cm extension greatly improves the precision/feel of the Warthog (besides the "stiction" and the "bumpy" transition as you cross the center, the springs are a bit stiff and difficult to overcome without overcontrolling without the leverage provided by an extension).

I'd use a an extension but I have an Obutto cockpit with a TM Mount. An extension would put the stick a little high I think. :/

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348