Using OvGME to apply & manage Mods

Rudel_chw

Ok, Thanks. I will post on the mods thread.

DB

Yes, I saw it there .. I actually had meant that specific Mod's thread (if it had any ... most good mods do have a thread for support) ... what is exactly the Mod you are trying to install?

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Yes, I saw it there .. I actually had meant that specific Mod's thread (if it had any ... most good mods do have a thread for support) ... what is exactly the Mod you are trying to install?

It is the FA-18C_Clear_HUD_Glass mod. It is just a couple of texture files that is supposed to clear up the view through the hud. I was worried about the Integrity Check on multiplayer etc...

DB

Followup: I looked but could not find where he got the file (he thought it was user files in downloads) so I searched the forum and found it. I tried to download the file to verify it was the same one but that file is no longer available. But while further reading the thread people were saying it no longer worked anyhow. So I read the rest of the thread and found a few more to try that go into the saved games folder too.

link:https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=212409

• 4 weeks later...

Eduardo,

Think you could do me a favor and see if you can get this mod to work? It is from 2016 and I thought I read somewhere that people making mods had to recompile them with a newer version of some program?? EDM files or something

? Anyhow, here are the links. One is the original and one is with the sound fixed.

Thanks,

DB

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1824104/

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/1827354/

When problem comes from 3D files, only author who has the original files can update them with new plugin :cry:

Yeah, that is what I was thinking as I had read some time ago about having to re-save or recompile broken mods and that would have to be done by the original maker. So is there an approximate year or date that the models or mods will no longer work unless updated by the author? It seems skins are not affected by this problem because they as 2d??

Thanks,

DB

Edited by davebert

Think you could do me a favor and see if you can get this mod to work? It is from 2016 and I thought I read somewhere that people making mods had to recompile them with a newer version of some program?? EDM files or something

Hello,

Correct, the Bismarck Mod is obsolete, it only works with DCS 2.5.4 or earlier. These are the ship Mods that I've tested and found obsolete:

MPdOqzI.jpg

So is there an approximate year or date that the models or mods will no longer work unless updated by the author?

It isnt possible to set a date, as there are many older Mods that did use the newer version of the EDM plugin or that have been updated recently.

It seems skins are not affected by this problem because they as 2d??

Liveries are not actually Mods in the true sense of the term, as DCS is designed to easily accept liveries made by users.

The Mods that no longer work are those that make use of 3D objects, say a new aircraft or vehicle, and were created with and older version of the EDM plugin.

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Hello,

Correct, the Bismarck Mod is obsolete, it only works with DCS 2.5.4 or earlier. These are the ship Mods that I've tested and found obsolete:

MPdOqzI.jpg

It isnt possible to set a date, as there are many older Mods that did use the newer version of the EDM plugin or that have been updated recently.

Liveries are not actually Mods in the true sense of the term, as DCS is designed to easily accept liveries made by users.

The Mods that no longer work are those that make use of 3D objects, say a new aircraft or vehicle, and were created with and older version of the EDM plugin.

Best regards

Thank you Eduardo for a full and professionally explained answer. :thumbup: And thanks for the list of obsolete and confirmed not working ships.

DB

... thanks for the list of obsolete and confirmed not working ships.

I couldnt bring myself to delete my old Mods, instead I tested them and those that didnt work I placed on this "boneyard" folder ... probably will end up deleting them, but for now they serve me as a reminder of how many interesting Mods we lost :(

Fortunately, the Modders keep working and I hope that some of them will be updated .. for now the fans of the IJN have updated quite a few:

2QKw3QV.jpg

ji3iozw.jpg

nex2JOP.jpg

qgdC2rc.jpg

9kelTu1.jpg

I havent yet used them on any real mission yet because we are lacking japanese naval WW2 planes, but hopefully that will change soon :)

Best regards.

• 4 weeks later...

Loving this but I wish you could create groups in a tree like structure rather than just having one long list of every mod you have.

| Callsign - NOMAD | i7-8700K Water Cooled | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Nvidia GTX 1080 TI Water Cooled | VKB Gunfighter Mk.II | Virpil MongoosT-50CM Throttle | Thrustmaster TPR Pedals |TrackIR Pro 5 |

Loving this but I wish you could create groups in a tree like structure rather than just having one long list of every mod you have.

When my Mod list started to become too long, I simply created a new Config just for ship Mods:

IUg2i7U.jpg

If the list keeps growing I may add a new Config just for WW2 Mods :D

I hadn't even considered trying that, thanks, that may be a makeshift way to do what I was hoping for.

| Callsign - NOMAD | i7-8700K Water Cooled | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Nvidia GTX 1080 TI Water Cooled | VKB Gunfighter Mk.II | Virpil MongoosT-50CM Throttle | Thrustmaster TPR Pedals |TrackIR Pro 5 |

I must be doing something wrong... I downloaded some modes and attempted to install them but Nothing shows up in the game.. also when I enable the zip files there are not version numbers at all

OvGME

Example

SU57 0.0.0

Civil_Objects_JR_1.95 0.0.0

MOOSE-master 0.0.0

Config Root Folder is

F:\CombaFlightOperations\DCS World OpenBeta

Config mods Folder

F:\CombaFlightOperations\DCS_MODS

I enable the mod... and nothing changes in the game... the add-on objects do not appear...

Any thoughts on what my user error is?

My mission is to fly, fight, and win. o-:|:-o What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.

Thanks for the reply.

I am not sure... I will re-read the first pages of this thead... it seems like we unzip them and the rezip them with the mode tool correct?

My mission is to fly, fight, and win. o-:|:-o What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.

Correct. But unless the mod is "made" with the tool, I don't think it will work.

I struggled a little myself with it. But it's easy, tedious though.

What I do is unzip the file, read instructions where all the files go in which folder I one where to copy then manually.

Then I completely make the folder structure with all the folders. That's the tedious part.

Then I use the tool. I get version and description etc. from the where I found the mod. And Then I import it.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I must be doing something wrong... I downloaded some modes and attempted to install them but Nothing shows up in the game.. also when I enable the zip files there are not version numbers at all

Example

SU57 0.0.0

Civil_Objects_JR_1.95 0.0.0

MOOSE-master 0.0.0

The first two are true Mods, but the third is a Scripting framework to be used for Mission Design, it doesnt require the OvGME tool as it is simply loaded into a Mission while on the Mission Editor.

Config Root Folder is

F:\CombaFlightOperations\DCS World OpenBeta

Config mods Folder

F:\CombaFlightOperations\DCS_MODS

DCS owns two separate folder locations on your PC: one for the program itself (default location /program files/eagle dynamics/dcs world openbeta/ ) and another location for the user’s settings, default location /saved games/dcs.openbeta/ ) ... on OvGME you need to define one config for each of these two locations, as some Mods place files on one location and others place them on the other.

The two Mods that you are trying to use, go into the /saved games/ location ... new aircrafts go into /saved games/dcs.openbeta/Mods/aircraft/ ... into one folder for each aircraft. Ships and objects go onto /saved games/dcs.openbeta/Mods/tech/ ... one folder for each Mod.

Also, be sure to research each Mod on the Forum, as there are many that were designed for old versions of DCS and no longer work .. on your case I know for a fact that the Civil Objects Mod still works, but I’m not sure about the other.

I see.. So I need to make an aircraft profile and scenery profile and so on. This is not a one click solution.... Thanks so much for this.

I see.. So I need to make an aircraft profile and scenery profile and so on. This is not a one click solution.... Thanks so much for this.
No, I don't think so. If the mod is compatible with OVGME, it will put all the files in the correct folders. At least it does that for me. If not, I need to do what I wrote earlier.

Now I can have completely misunderstood the post above yours.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

A bit of a tangent here, but JSGME had the ability to remove an existing default file (i.e. without actually replacing it) by adding a blank text file called filename.ext-remove. For example if I want to remove Song1.ogg from the Heatblur VigWalkman folder, I could create a text file called Song1.ogg-remove and JSGME would back up Song1.ogg, then remove it from the folder.

Does OVGME have a way to do something like this?

Does OVGME have a way to do something like this?

Sadly, no :( .. it can only add or replace files, cant remove them.

Question: I have used OVGME for a while but only with the saved games folder. I open OVGME and select my mods and enable them, then I exit OVGME and the mods work fine. Now I am going to start to use some mods in the main beta game folder. After I enable them, can I still exit OVGME and they will work fine or do I have to leave OVGME running? I think I can exit and it will work, but I want to be sure if the normal way of using OVGME is selecting mods, activating mods, and exiting OGME.

Thanks