Getting started with DCS 2.0

bpremus

Hello,

I apologize if there is similar post somewhere that i might have missed,

I am new to DCS and in various you-tube videos i have noticed AV8B Harrier that i would like to acquire (for start),

however i cannot find information about scenery addons that are mandatory for 2.0.

So i am looking what would a new pilot need to get started with AV8B

- to be able to fly online, list of scenery, or some other mandatory addons

- also what is needed to have carriers that you can land on?

Thank you for info

AMD FX 8350 4.0Ghz, 16gb DDR3, MSI R9 390, MS FF2 & CH Throttle PRO, track IR 4 & Lenovo Explorer VMR

For 2.0 you will need either Nevada or Normandy map.The Harrier is also available in 1.5.8 version that has Caucasus map for free. So you don't have to buy anything other than the aircraft if you don't want to. Carriers are available for free, there is a talk about an updated carriers pack but that's not available yet.

The new 2.5 version that will merge both versions and bring updated Caucasus with modern graphics is expected at the end of January 2018. It will be released for free.

AV8B is not a very good choice for starters, it's in early access phase, with many features still in development, only basic documentation and no tutorials in game.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Actually the only thing you need to buy to be able to fly the Harrier is the Harrier itself. You can use it in 1.5 which itself totally free.

If you really want to fly in 2.0 (it's actually 2.2 by now), you will have to by a map for it, either Normandy or Nevada. If you wait a month, then you can also fly there for free, because in January there will be an update to 2.5 that will include the free to play caucasus map.

The Tarawa carrier is included in the Harrier module.

Edit: Sniped by some1 and he is right when he says this:

AV8B is not a very good choice for starters, it's in early access phase, with many features still in development, only basic documentation and no tutorials in game.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The Harrier is a blast and actually easy to fly.

No reason to shy away from it.

Treat yourself.

You also get the SU25T and TF-51D for free with DCS World.

Edited by MegOhm_SD

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

I bought it yesterday, even at this early state is fun to fly. Its not that difficult as I was expecting to hover and land, more often wing broke off due high G than anything else on vertical landing,

Thank you all for help.

AMD FX 8350 4.0Ghz, 16gb DDR3, MSI R9 390, MS FF2 & CH Throttle PRO, track IR 4 & Lenovo Explorer VMR

I have made more progress with the Harrier particularly with weapons systems than with the free ones so if a 63 yr old retired

truck driver can do it cant be that bad

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

I couldn't have waited till January 2018 :) ... ended up buying Nevada and Mirage too...

however I have an additional beginner question:

I am struggling to find a documentation for downloaded modules

are there some PDFs for AV8B and Mirage and also for Nevada terrain?

Yes, there are. Go in you DCS installation folder. Then go in the "Mods" subfolder, choose the folder of the module you want and then you can find the PDF manual in the "Doc" subfolder of the module.

But be aware that RAZBAMs manuals are not the best ones, although the Mirage manual is currently beeing rewritten and should be much better once the new version is available.

Additional to the official manuals, there are community guides made by community member Charly Owl, better known as Chuck, which you can find here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=135765

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg