Hornet vs FC3 PFM Jets

Guest Guest

True the MiG-31 can't maneuver worth anything, but it could just provide BVR cover for MiG-29Ss or Su-27Ss that could obliterate the enemy in WVR. Besides, it's just fun to shoot at enemies before they can shoot at you, I once used a mod that allowed me to use the R-24T, R-33, R-40T, and R-77 on the Su-27, and those+R-60M on Su-33 (so, I know what the R-33 is like).
Sure the Mig-31 can operate like mini-AWACS for other flights, but so does Su-27 as well.

Many tactics can't be used now with Su-27 as weapons systems are not modeled, that would give the edge.

That changes even more now when F-18C should get far better radar features and capabilities that others modeling lacks. But if it comes as well more realistic radar and targeting system simulations, we will see more WVR than BVR combat.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Which ones do you mean?
Many datalink ones. Target sharing between flight, target generations via GCI etc. We have just basic datalink capability.

--

I usually post from my phone so please excuse any typos, inappropriate punctuation and capitalization, missing words and general lack of cohesion and sense in my posts.....

Many datalink ones. Target sharing between flight, target generations via GCI etc. We have just basic datalink capability.

Just keep in mind that FC3 F-15C is missing a lot of features that will be coming with DCS Hornet:

- JHMCS

- AIM-9X

- L16 datalink

:music_whistling:

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Even the Ability of the SU27SM to guide 2 SARH missiles simultaneously would be a game changer.
That with the limitations it should have, as hopefully the hornet simulate the limits of TWS and AIM-120 so it ain't such OP combo in first place.

Change to see it can they manage to do that with new radar simulations as all BVR combat would get limited changes.

--

Just keep in mind that FC3 F-15C is missing a lot of features that will be coming with DCS Hornet:

- JHMCS

- AIM-9X

- L16 datalink

:music_whistling:

Not to mention APG63(V)2 AESA (along with the unique possibilities that entails), AMRAAM flight profiling & guidance, a host of EW possibilities and, yes, ANY datalink functionality whatsoever.

You are correct, BOTH sides of the FC3 module have been pretty heavily sanitised in some game changing areas.

Edited by Boogieman

But you'll never see it because it never happened. You might want to stick with an R-77 for a game-changer.

Even the Ability of the SU27SM to guide 2 SARH missiles simultaneously would be a game changer.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

This view may not be shared by all DCS World players, but I sometimes find that the FC3 jets are more difficult to use in combat because you have to remember so many keybinds for your hotas and keyboard, with the Full Fidelity jets all you have to remember is the Hotas commands and then your mouse does the rest...

I find learning the cockpit to be easier to remember than the FC3 keybinds even if the models themselves are simplified

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Spudknocker DCS World YouTube Channel!!

RTX 2080 Ti - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - DCS on 1TB EVO 970 M.2 SSD - Logitech X56 HOTAS

This view may not be shared by all DCS World players, but I sometimes find that the FC3 jets are more difficult to use in combat because you have to remember so many keybinds for your hotas and keyboard, with the Full Fidelity jets all you have to remember is the Hotas commands and then your mouse does the rest...

I find learning the cockpit to be easier to remember than the FC3 keybinds even if the models themselves are simplified

Haha never thought of it like that. Difference I guess is that once those keybinds become muscle memory the process of flying and fighting in the jet is a fair bit quicker and more efficient in a lot of cases.

When it comes to modern fighters, DCS modules will have a lot of advantages. Yes, forgetting to fence in on time is A disadvantage, sure.

When it comes to older aircraft, DCS jets would dominate them harder than FC3 jets anyway.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Will those come to the F-15C, as well as the F/A-18C?

well for JHMCS & AIM-9X, no, since the F-15C in DCS is from like the 90's to early 2000's, just before JHMCS was implemented into NATO aircraft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

well for JHMCS & AIM-9X, no, since the F-15C in DCS is from like the 90's to early 2000's, just before JHMCS was implemented into NATO aircraft.

FC3 F-15C is too simplified to point a specific period. At least it deserve the L16.

As far as the radar is concerned, it's simplified even compared to 1979 F-15C (which I suspect is the source of inspiration for HUD and radar).

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

If the SAMs would be even 20% capable what they are in reality, your HARMS would be wasted in most cases anyways.

in reality radar operators were terrified of HARMs. During KOSOVO radar operators would shut down the second they heard "magnum".

Harms aren't wasted if they are never fired.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

in reality radar operators were terrified of HARMs. During KOSOVO radar operators would shut down the second they heard "magnum".

NATO did shot a lot of HARM :smilewink:

NATO expended a total of 743 AGM-88 HARM anti-radiation missile rounds, launched by EA-6B Prowlers, F-16CJ Weasels and Tornado ECRs. The most notable aspect of this chart is that more than 50% of HARMs were fired at mobile SA-6 batteries, which suffered the lowest attrition of any Serbian radar guided SAM type.

http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-2009-04.html#mozTocId368006

Mirage fanatic !

NATO did shot a lot of HARM :smilewink:

http://www.ausairpower.net/APA-2009-04.html#mozTocId368006

Fascinating stat - particular wrt the surviveability of the mobile SA6s. I wonder how this influenced the development of weapons like JSOW, JASSM, SDB, AARGM etc...

It's yet another aspect of modern air warfare that would make a fascinating addition to DCS - high(er) fidelity SAM modelling. It would be an absolute game changer on multiplayer servers to know that there are numerous player-controlled GBAD systems out there waiting for you.

The strike packages we'll be able to put together with the Hornet might make this a more attractive form of gameplay for some too...

Edited by Boogieman

One of more overblown thing.

Like you think that pilots broadcasted their communications and locations so widely?

That radar operators didn't simply turn off radars without correct procedure after seeing HARM launched toward them on radar scope?

There are many ways how you can defeat HARM launchs. But the idea that they just sit there listening a cracked radio frequency just a magic word and then panicking is just more urban legend than truth.

SEAD Is successful if you're able suppress enemy air defence, better if even without attacking them.

But Kosovo war is so full lies from NATO that it is difficult to know what really happened there.

--

Fascinating stat - particular wrt the surviveability of the mobile SA6s. I wonder how this influenced the development of weapons like JSOW, JASSM, SDB, AARGM etc...

It's yet another aspect of modern air warfare that would make a fascinating addition to DCS - high(er) fidelity SAM modelling. It would be an absolute game changer on multiplayer servers to know that there are numerous player-controlled GBAD systems out there waiting for you.

The strike packages we'll be able to put together with the Hornet might make this a more attractive form of gameplay for some too...

That I have been saying. CAS/SEAD pilots currently doesn't have the danger and risk they should have. SAM or almost any AA is more as a dummy for procedure training, than actual anti-air unit.

Lots of functions should be made by ED as core ground troop logic so air units wouldn't own areas without efforts.

--

That I have been saying. CAS/SEAD pilots currently doesn't have the danger and risk they should have. SAM or almost any AA is more as a dummy for procedure training, than actual anti-air unit.

Lots of functions should be made by ED as core ground troop logic so air units wouldn't own areas without efforts.

--

Yes I agree. This would have big effects on both red and blue teams. Red would have to be more careful using terrain masking and low altitude notching en route/over the FEBA to counter blue AWACS and AMRAAMs, while blue would need to be careful of SAM traps set by highly lethal & mobile red team medium/long range SAM systems (Kub/Buk/Tor/S300 etc). Would be lots of fun!

They aren't necessarily wasted if they don't hit either ... that's why it's SEAD, not DEAD.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I wonder how this influenced the development of weapons like JSOW, JASSM, SDB, AARGM etc...

Probably a lot. What GGTharos said is true, SEAD was the doctrine back then.

Now, USA and NATO are pushing toward DEAD.

From what I understand, AARGM is designed to find its target, even if emission is turned off.

Mirage fanatic !

FC3 F-15C is too simplified to point a specific period. At least it deserve the L16.

As far as the radar is concerned, it's simplified even compared to 1979 F-15C (which I suspect is the source of inspiration for HUD and radar).

based on whats written in the manual late 90s- early 2000s fits the description.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

based on whats written in the manual late 90s- early 2000s fits the description.

For instance no Raid Assesment Mode which was available in the 1979 manual :music_whistling:

No tactical situation display on the MPCD, not datalink (even simplified like on Su 27).

No faithful reproduction of HOTAS commands...

If you have an open source link about late 90' - early 2000' F-15C weapon system please share :smilewink:

I don't see the point about arguing if the FC3 F-15C weapon system is simplified or not => it is.

Mirage fanatic !