Xtal first impressions - Page 7 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-13-2019, 01:45 PM   #61
SOAR_160

I am also interested in information about the XTal. At the same time I am interested in a comparison with the reverb.

What bothers me a bit is the tone of how you would like to receive information about the Xtal. you forget that someone takes the risk to buy an xtal for 5000.-. This someone is so nice and would like to help you with your decision. This is what people do here voluntarily and this in addition to a 100% job.

So maybe I would not demand that offensive. But give the people the time they want to take their pictures and so on.

If you can not wait, just buy one and test the Xtal, Reverb or whatever, and share your information.
SOAR_160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:55 PM   #62
dburne
Veteran

I would liken folks considering either a Reverb or Xtal, to be like hmm should I get a Ferrari or a Lincoln?
Right. After all both will get you from Point A to Point B without any issue.
You know the old saying - If you have to ask...

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | EVGA T2 Titanium 1000w PS | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF Pro MCG Pro| EVGA DG 87 Case | Rift S | Oculus Quest |
dburne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:53 PM   #63
stefew1966

Default Xtal on its way back

Hi everybody,
I have decided to return the Xtal. It's a great piece of tech but for me it doesn't meet my requirements.

I use it for myself but I also use it at my Air Cadet unit for our flight sim program. That means the headset is used by many of my kids. So the main reason why it's going back is comfort. It is just too heavy for small heads. Kids heads to be more precise.

I will also say this. Although it's not really bad on my head, when I went back to my old headsets I started noticing the weight a bit more. While for professionals using the Xtal for shorter periods, I started to find the weight objectionable for hour long sittings.

But like I said before. The materials are top quality and the picture quality is top notch. But for me, my kids have to be able to use it.

So beware of that should you be interested in buying one. Other than that, it's a very good headset.

Stefew
Old 10-15-2019, 10:45 PM   #64
Supmua

Thanks for taking the plunge and checking it out. If I was going to pay that much for a headset then it'd better be near perfect and it seems like the Xtal isn't, at least in this first iteration. It may be packed with awesome technology but other parameters such as long-term comfort or ease of use are also important when picking a headset.
Throttles: TMWx2
VR: HTC Vive/Pro/Oculus Rift/Valve Index.
Supmua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:58 AM   #65
stefew1966

Default Comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supmua View Post
Thanks for taking the plunge and checking it out. If I was going to pay that much for a headset then it'd better be near perfect and it seems like the Xtal isn't, at least in this first iteration. It may be packed with awesome technology but other parameters such as long-term comfort or ease of use are also important when picking a headset.
Hey Supmua,
Yeah, I totally agree. A great headset has to be more than the sum of its parts. The Xtal is nearly there. And for some people, the weight would not be an issue. But for my kids it was.

Stefew
Old 10-19-2019, 06:52 PM   #66
Ortac

Hi Stefew

Can I ask what age were the kids for whom Xtal was too heavy? I am also considering getting one and would occasionally use it with air cadets.

According to the specs Xtal weighs 1210 grams with the head strap, would be a little more with the Steam VR tracking clip on.

My real world flight helmet (Alpha Eagle) weighs 1535 grams. The cadets wear similar helmets when they fly (and pulling up to 4 g).

Last edited by Ortac; 10-19-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Ortac is offline   Reply With Quote