Barometric Altimeter and other...

JG14_Smil

Hello,

The barometric altimeter reads "0" at mission start. This should only be happening at sea level. It is displaying AGL altitude. There is another gauge for AGL, they are two different readings.

Runways are named for a reason. "Runway 25" should not be dead center 270 degrees.

Bug?...feature?... you tell me.

:) thanks.

The barometric altimeter reads "0" because it has preset the QFE pressure on the dial on the barometer as default for the given airport and current atmospheric conditions when doing a cold start. Certainly no bug. You can change it to QNH pressure and you will read the airport's elevation on the barometric altimeter. It is all written in the manual.

The altimeter shows zero because is set to QFE, but this should probably not the case for high altitude airfields in Nevada, because the QFE is off scale :D.

Runaways are numbered according to magnetic heading, your HSI shows the true heading. Magnetic variation in Nevada is 12E IIRC, thus the difference. It's more than you are seeing, probably because the runaway's heading is more than 250, rounded to 25.

• Like 1

Thanks grunk!

So QFE is different than the way we do it here...

OK, so I can correct the variation?

Please note I only fly online and don't get into the back seat much. I know there is correction back there.

QFE is your altitude above the airfield, QNH is your altitude above the sea level. To set you barometer to QNH pressure, set it to the airport's altitude while you're on the ground. Unfortunately the ATC will only give you QFE.

To correct the magnetic variation you have to jump in to the back seat I'm afraid. There's the dial on the right panel. Use the knob to set the variation indicated by the thin needle, and then sync the heading by holding the button on the top right on front panel (IIRC both seats have it).

I've done some experimenting on the Mozdok runway.

I'll enter the sim with the course pointer at 82 and the RMI at 88 degrees. Course deviation flag is off center. I jump in back seat and deviation dial is set to +6 or so as it should be. I change it to +12 or so and hold correction button. RMI lines up correctly, still at 88 degrees. I dial the course pointer over to 88 degrees and course deviation flags center.

Forget the fact that the deviation scale is off, my ILS should now line me up correctly. Here's the bad part: Even if I map keys for changing the deviation dial, I cannot do it from the front seat. I cannot get into the back seat while flying MP, which is really all I fly (no one has ever said "hello" in SP).

I think one can't eject also because of this issue(?) It would be nice to be able to fly from the #2 seat while in MP. This aircraft is all about that ILS working correctly, that is it's job as a trainer.

Edited by JG14_Smil

Found a work-around for aligning the RMI and HSI from the front seat. Have not tested it online yet. Right, rear side: Pu-26E panel. You can set it to gyro instead of magnetic compass, then use the heading switch on the PU-26 to align the HSI and bring the ILS into the proper azimuth. In theory, I'm hoping it will be like removing the error bug and manually aligning the gyro.

I doubt there are five people in the world that care... :)

Found a work-around for aligning the RMI and HSI from the front seat. Have not tested it online yet. Right, rear side: Pu-26E panel. You can set it to gyro instead of magnetic compass, then use the heading switch on the PU-26 to align the HSI and bring the ILS into the proper azimuth. In theory, I'm hoping it will be like removing the error bug and manually aligning the gyro.

Good find, hope it will work! :thumbup:

Another thing with magnetic variation is that...it varies :)

Not a lot, and over time. But, RWYs aren't usually repainted immediately a new designator would be in effect, so to speak.

It sure does, the speed varies depending on location, fastest being around the poles. I have a map of my home town made during French occupation under Napoleon rule in 1802, It shows 17 degrees W magnetic variation, and now it is 3 degrees E. :smartass:

In the 172 I fly, I have to realign the gyro to the magnetic compass every few minutes. =P