Since when is it possible to fly with VR Controller?

unknown

Ok, maybe i missed this but i'm sure that i was only able to use the switches in cockpit at the beginning of the year than i bought my Rift S. By accident i was sitting in my Mi-8 today and tryed to click a button and noticed i was moving the cyclic, also the collective was usable and i could actually fly the MI-8 just with the Rift S controller's, this worked also in the F/A-18 but the throttle didn't work in the F-16 for me, stick yes. Is this a known feature or was this added recently? I couldn't find anything about this in a quick search.

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

There have been demo vids for a while.

How was it? Did you feel like you could control the plane well?

I have personally settled on physical hotas controls and pointCntr for pushing buttons in the pit as my near term VR solution.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Must be new. With the F-16C release this definately was not in yet. Gonna try this when I'm back home next week. Could be pretty interesting, especially for convincing someone who doesn't have a HOTAS yet, but runs a VR HMD. In the end, having physical devices always will be better anyway.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Must be new. With the F-16C release this definately was not in yet. Gonna try this when I'm back home next week. Could be pretty interesting, especially for convincing someone who doesn't have a HOTAS yet, but runs a VR HMD. In the end, having physical devices always will be better anyway.

Physical devices will rule the roost IMO until you get actual "real" haptic feedback. But at that point, you will be just have a plug at the base of your brain to get into the "matrix".

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I used the controllers to push buttons and flick switches etc but I found it cumbersome in the end and reverted back to using the mouse. Which I find very easy in VR.

I have tried controlling the stick and throttle with the controllers but that was sloppy and lacked the precision you get with a dedicated HOTAS.

I used the controllers to push buttons and flick switches etc but I found it cumbersome in the end and reverted back to using the mouse. Which I find very easy in VR.

I have tried controlling the stick and throttle with the controllers but that was sloppy and lacked the precision you get with a dedicated HOTAS.

Exactly my experience for the first part, never tried the stick and throttle though. MilesD PointControl finger trackers work well if you need a VR interface solution that works.

Same experience here as well, quickly ditched the controllers and went back to the HOTAS. Have you tried a track/touch pad by chance? I used the mouse for a long time (along with VR) when learning the A10C - but towards the end of "mastering" that aircraft and moving to the F/A-18C I purchased a track/touch pad. Have a quick strap to fix it to my left leg, similar to knee board, and would have to say it's one of my favorite additions to go along with the TMWH. Makes the mouse functions exceptionally easy and accessible.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Same experience here as well, quickly ditched the controllers and went back to the HOTAS. Have you tried a track/touch pad by chance? I used the mouse for a long time (along with VR) when learning the A10C - but towards the end of "mastering" that aircraft and moving to the F/A-18C I purchased a track/touch pad. Have a quick strap to fix it to my left leg, similar to knee board, and would have to say it's one of my favorite additions to go along with the TMWH. Makes the mouse functions exceptionally easy and accessible.

Cheers,

Don

True that . I replaced my mouse with a trackball for VR , and find it works much better .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

True that . I replaced my mouse with a trackball for VR , and find it works much better .

Haven't tried a track ball, but that also seems like it would be a solid solution. Might pick one up to see if I prefer that over the pad.

Cheers,

Don

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Exactly my experience for the first part, never tried the stick and throttle though. MilesD PointControl finger trackers work well if you need a VR interface solution that works.

I have seen them and they look good. Bit pricey for me at the moment. I can't do anything until the new year. Kids etc.

Cheers,

Don

That's something I haven't looked into but will.

Thanks!

I have seen them and they look good. Bit pricey for me at the moment. I can't do anything until the new year. Kids etc.

That's something I haven't looked into but will.

Thanks!

No worries, I feel it’s a pretty big leap in terms of integration over a standard mouse (personally).

I use my race sim for flying, so I’m fortunate to have this for further keybinding and quick access, which alone would be nice, but when using the rotary encoders - gives a near endless ability to quickly and easily access options:

https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/steering-wheels/csl-elite-mclaren-gt3-csqr-usa.html

Then an 8 position “gate shifter” which is great for gear, hook and other nice to have but not critical for combat functions.

Obviously those two bits of Fanatec equipment would be silly to acquire for DCS alone - but they sure are nice to serve a dual function. Makes me feel like I am really getting a bonus return on investment.

Cheers,

Don

Edited by Ziptie

I just deleted an email the other day from the company that makes the VR rifle stocks. Something tube??? Anyhow they have the controller cups mounted to throttle and stick bases. I’ll go find the link

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Here it is. https://www.protubevr.com/en/accueil/127-protasvr-solo-pre-order.html

In preorder with shipment in Nov/Dec. I have the basic stock and the controllers stay in the cups but are easy to pull out to access belt items and throw grenades and such.

Edited by Thick8

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

I made my own controller for VR pit. Map it to the UI layer. Works like a charm.

You can’t just throw something like that out there without a pic... let’s see it.

No worries, they are worth it though. IMO at least. Plus miles keeps improving them.

Haven't tried a track ball, but that also seems like it would be a solid solution. Might pick one up to see if I prefer that over the pad.

Cheers,

Don

I’ve used both and settled on the trackball. Feel it is more precise. In fact, I found a left handed trackball so I can have one on each side.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Maybe if you say please.

Pretty please with sugar on top :joystick:

• 2 weeks later...

I love the cockpit interaction! My Saitek HOTAS is now boxed and in the closet. When X-Plane did this in 2017, I stored my yoke and never looked back.

Thank you DCS! Now I can do everything hands on. No programming buttons, profiles, reaching blinding for a mouse.

Great immersion. I grab the handle bars at launch :)

How did you set up your controls for using motion controllers? I tried it out briefly with the odyssey+ motion controllers and it was cool but some controls didn't work well at all. Any rotary switches went crazy when I tried to grab them, there was no way to accurately turn them.