Questions about F-15

1- If Boresight mode for WVR, FLOOD, VS, AACQ, HOJ for what?

2- I don't know how to activate the HOJ mode. I have seen tutorial for HOJ but everytime HOJ starts to describe, the bandits shoot instructor and I'm left with nothing to activate it.

3- In autopilot mode, the autopilot attempts to capture the glide slope in ILS mode. however, I just crashed today during bank turn on 45 degrees from runway threshold, partly because ape attempted catching slope. How far from LZ should I activate AP to capture slope. It appears to lower thrust automatically and just needs to be far out. How far? does it follow slope or should I trim down? Why no AOAI on 15's?

I got shot by a locking Mig-23. I had it to the face that canopy blew off. mofo pinged me, I engaged ECM but no joy if ECM flashes??

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Boresight:The pilot flies along the planes longitudinal axis onto the target or if a target crosses the same axis, the radar locks on.

WVR: Within visual range mode, in other words you're in a knife fight. This is the reason why the F-15 was made, because it was thought an F-4 would never have to engage in this realm. However see Vietnam War for that oversight.

FLOOD: This mode puts the radar in a broader acquisition mode. It doesn't lock the AIM-7 for you but you can use it to home in on any taget painted by the scan.

VS: Vertical Scan mode, the radar scans the airspace in front of it to a beam of 7.5 degrees wide and –2 to 50 degrees vertically. There are 2 bars displayed on the HUD and you need to get a target in between those lines to acquire a target.

AACQ: I use this for guns mode, where it locks the target up and you can get a quicker firing envelope.

HOJ: Home on Jam, just like it says, is useful for when an aircraft is beginning to jam to confuse the missiles radar. In that case the radar switch's modes to lock onto the source of the jamming. This mode is very unreliable though as it has to go through a electronic gauntlet to get to a target. The theory is though that with the missile is close enough that it will burn through the jamming and acquire the target and kill it.

I am hoping this what you were asking for in the first question.

Edited by USAFMTL
  • Like 1

[sigpic][/sigpic]

US Air Force Retired, 1C371

No rank or title will ever be as important as the unit patch you wear.

EDIT:

Now I can lock squares on radar screen, get HOJ on HUD, now what?? I can't fire 120B/C/7M/9M... Also, what anti-radiation missiles are in LOMAC/World? A full list is appreciated.

Edited by WildBillKelsoe

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

BUMP

EDIT:

Now I can lock squares on radar screen, get HOJ on HUD, now what?? I can't fire 120B/C/7M/9M...

You have to be in range to fire the missile. Press Alt+W to override if you don't get a shoot cue but the missile will probably miss.

Also, what anti-radiation missiles are in LOMAC/World? A full list is appreciated.

I believe its same for both LOMAC and world but here's a list.

AGM-88.

ALARM.

KH-25MPU

KH-58U

KH-31A

KH-31P

• Like 2

EDIT:

Now I can lock squares on radar screen, get HOJ on HUD, now what?? I can't fire 120B/C/7M/9M... Also, what anti-radiation missiles are in LOMAC/World? A full list is appreciated.

American weapons have no DLZ limit like the Russian planes do. You can fire the missiles at any time by pressing and holding the weapons release key (different from the fire gun key) for more than two seconds (please don't Mad Dog AIM-120's (firing them without a valid lock, or breaking the lock before they go pitbull (the point where the missile is tracking the target with its own RADAR)) though. I understand that it happens if you lose lock, etc., but try not to fire them without a valid lock, or release lock before they go pitbull.

Tip: In HOJ, you can get a target's slant range by knowing two things, how far away you are from a landmark, and how high the target is, assuming you can do a little big of trig (it isn't hard).

1. Gather target's approximate height (this will be your height when you cross the enemy through the horizon bar on your HUD).

2. Climb to a set altitude (the higher you are, the easier it will be to do this at longer ranges).

3. When bandit is over a landmark, estimate horizontal range (distance along the ground) from you to that landmark (this range MUST be in the same units as you used to determine your current altitude).

4. Now think of this as building two triangles in the air, one big one that slants from you to the landmark, and one smaller one that slants from you to the bandit. Since these triangles are the EXACT same, but just scaled differently, we can apply the same angles to both triangles. The first thing that needs to be found is the slant range of you to the landmark. The Pythagorean theorem (A^2+B^2=C^2) comes in handy here. ex. I am at 30,000 feet, while the landmark is ten kts from me. 30,000'^2+60,000'^2=67,082'^2 So the landmark has a slant range of 67,082' from me.

5. Now divide your altitude by the bandit's altitude. ex. bandit is at 15,000'. 30,000'/15,000'=2.

6. The last step is to divide the slant range of the town by the number in step 5. This will leave you with the approximate slant range of the enemy aircraft.

ex. 67,082'/2=33,541'.

And now you know how to kill jamming aircraft without ever turning letting it know that you fired on him.

:smartass:Join me next time for another great episode of "Blowing Stuff Up (With Math)" :D

P.S. Every A-A missile that the Eagle can fire in FC2 except for the AIM-9 is HOJ capable, although TBH the AIM-7M is too short range to be of much use here (you are in burn through before DLZ limits). NONE of these missiles are anti-radiation though, they cannot be locked onto a target's radar.

Edited by Pyroflash
  • Like 1

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

I was practicing BVR with my friend and I remember him using FLOOD mode on the Su-27 I was flying. We were flying with only 80's weapons; i.e. AIM-7M's and R-27R/T's (along with the regular AIM-9M's and R-73's).

I didn't get a lock or launch warning. Is this supposed to happen? If there's only one bandit in the FLOOD circle, is the Pk degraded for the AIM-7 launched in FLOOD mode?

EDIT: He also claimed that the red shoot cue lights on the canopy bow turned on when his F-15 was around 10 nm away from my plane. He wasn't sure though as it was difficult to tell in the middle of a fight that was becoming more and more WVR.

Edited by SgtPappy

My new favorite quote...Pyro says.....

"Join me next time for another great episode of "Blowing Stuff Up (With Math)"

[sigpic][/sigpic]

US Air Force Retired, 1C371

No rank or title will ever be as important as the unit patch you wear.

I was practicing BVR with my friend and I remember him using FLOOD mode on the Su-27 I was flying. We were flying with only 80's weapons; i.e. AIM-7M's and R-27R/T's (along with the regular AIM-9M's and R-73's).

I didn't get a lock or launch warning. Is this supposed to happen? If there's only one bandit in the FLOOD circle, is the Pk degraded for the AIM-7 launched in FLOOD mode?

EDIT: He also claimed that the red shoot cue lights on the canopy bow turned on when his F-15 was around 10 nm away from my plane. He wasn't sure though as it was difficult to tell in the middle of a fight that was becoming more and more WVR.

with FLOOD mode you should get a lock tone, but not a lunch tone. Yes, you are right around 10 miles the 15 will get the lights that he can fire. FLOOD mode kills are awesome, but any sparrow kill in the 15 is good cause most people don't use them or know how to. I love carrying 2xAIM-9's, 2xAIM7's and 4x120's, that's the best combo I think. The pk isn't degraded, the missile will go after the biggest treat in the circle. So hopefully a friendly doesn't fly into it. FLOOD mode is great cause they don't know a missile is inbound unless they turn and see the smoke trail.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

and I'm supposed to do all this with a bandit who could be trying to get on my saddle?

Flood mode is for those unsuspecting pilots. You don't use it if you are going into the merge or there is a chance they easily escape the targeting radius.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

It's Pyro. mathematics mid-combat? no thanks.. it's saddle/saddle for me.. either that or extension...

Flood mode is for those unsuspecting pilots. You don't use it if you are going into the merge or there is a chance they easily escape the targeting radius.

I have been hit by pilots using flood mode alot. Most of the time i was just enjoying the scenery with my wingman in formation searching for bandits and than suddenly he disapears in a great ball of fire :) After a second i realised what was going on. But that was way to late.... boom and i was gone aswell. Without a warning at all. Dam flood mode LoL. But its a awesome sight seeing your wingman getting blown out of the sky without you even knowing where it comes from LoL.

Go in close, and when you think you are too close, go in closer.

I have been hit by pilots using flood mode alot. Most of the time i was just enjoying the scenery with my wingman in formation searching for bandits and than suddenly he disapears in a great ball of fire :) After a second i realised what was going on. But that was way to late.... boom and i was gone aswell. Without a warning at all. Dam flood mode LoL. But its a awesome sight seeing your wingman getting blown out of the sky without you even knowing where it comes from LoL.

You are talking about getting hit by someone using EOS in the Russian jets, not FLOOD mode in the F-15. Unless you guys had no SA or F-15's were on both sides.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

P.S. Every A-A missile that the Eagle can fire in FC2 except for the AIM-9 is HOJ capable, although TBH the AIM-7M is too short range to be of much use here (you are in burn through before DLZ limits). NONE of these missiles are anti-radiation though, they cannot be locked onto a target's radar.

I find the AIM-7 has great range, when launched at high altitude at targets that are also high altitudes. I frequently practice AIM7 deployments offline and get DLZ between 27-30nm on non jamming targets with kills on first launch. Burn though typically occurs between 21-25nm and have made HOJ kills with the AIM7 launched just before burn though. I have been putting much of this practice to use online on the 51st server this month.

with FLOOD mode you should get a lock tone, but not a lunch tone. Yes, you are right around 10 miles the 15 will get the lights that he can fire. FLOOD mode kills are awesome, but any sparrow kill in the 15 is good cause most people don't use them or know how to. I love carrying 2xAIM-9's, 2xAIM7's and 4x120's, that's the best combo I think. The pk isn't degraded, the missile will go after the biggest treat in the circle. So hopefully a friendly doesn't fly into it. FLOOD mode is great cause they don't know a missile is inbound unless they turn and see the smoke trail.

I can account at least once that I fired an AIM-7 in flood mode and the person said there was no warning. Its was on their 6 and they were also in an F-15, can't remember if I even showed up on their RWR at all. I have noticed that flood mode is sensitive to PRF setting.

I can account at least once that I fired an AIM-7 in flood mode and the person said there was no warning. Its was on their 6 and they were also in an F-15, can't remember if I even showed up on their RWR at all. I have noticed that flood mode is sensitive to PRF setting.

Maybe that person was at a angle where his RWR didn't pick your missile up or a weird anomaly. There have been known cases where AIM-7's and other missiles have made U-turns and chased people.

..U-turns and chased people.

They need to put up road signs for that stuff. U-turns are really dangerous when you are going that fast.

TBH I hope they fix MWS functionality for the jets in FC3.

If you aim for the sky, you will never hit the ground.

They should have showed up on your RWR then, I don't think I have heard of something like that ever happening. With the same aircraft on both sides it sucks telling them apart. There have been many times where I snuck around and came from the same direction as the bad guys and they didn't know I wasn't on their side.

Could of been, some servers have a lot of action going on.