[REPORTED]Bug 3 - getPlayerName() not working for CA ground units!

Well it was working at one point.

Ok Grimes, I've created a test mission which you can find attached to simulate the problem.

When running in single player mode, on the same machine, the Unit:getPlayerName() DOES return the "player" when jumped into the unit (RALT-J). The "player" has a fictive name, which most of the time returns for me "killer" :-).

But concerning multi player (and single player) mode, in a nutshell I find 3 problems:

1. When having a server setup running the attached test mission, and, having a client machine logging into the server and selecting a ground unit, and jumping into it (RALT-J), the function Unit:getPlayerName() DOES NOT return anything.

2. coalition.getPlayers(coalition.side.RED) or coalition.getPlayers(coalition.side.BLUE) will only return units that have a Client or Player as a skill...It will not return ground units that have a Player jumped into. This problem exists in single- and multi player modes.

3. There is something really weird with the icons. They are transparent. And the airplanes don't show when selecting Tactical Commander or Game Master. Normally i would assume that the icons wouldn't be transparent, right? And also, when i select tactical commander, why are the icons of the other party visible? And also, I don't see any planes.

So, pls load the attached mission and try to resimulate this problem. Anybody can test this and confirm this please?

There is a little script in the mission with a continuous trigger showing which player is logged into which unit. I do two types of tests:

1. One through the coalition:getPlayers()

2. One directly testing each unit instance (through Unit:getByName)

thanks in advance,

Sven

2016-03-02 - DCS 1.5.3 - getPlayerName not working.miz

Edited by BIGNEWY
TITLE

[TABLE][sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]|

[/TABLE]

Correction on post 63:

1. When having a server setup running the attached test mission, and, having a client machine logging into the server and selecting a ground unit, and jumping into it (RALT-J), the function Unit:getPlayerName() DOES NOT return anything.

The function Unit:getPlayerName() returns a blank string. So it does return "something", but the playername is not filled out, instead a blank string is returned.

[/TABLE]

I only have access to 1 PC that also has access to our special test version, so I need others to help test MP bugs like this and sometime schedules don't line up for a few days.

1. Reproduced and reported

2. That function never actually returned CA units, but I reported it in hopes that it gets rectified. Since it was never adapted to work with CA in the first place.

3.I believe the icons have had a transparent effect on the map for many months or even years now. Something about the icons completely covering up the map view and blocking other icons. That part is normal.

I don't get what you mean by the airplanes don't show. They show for me just fine. What you see on the other team is determined by the mission settings but also the visibility of the ground forces. Last I checked CA forces "Fog Of War" on for CA slots and the visibility is determined by detection rules of both air, ground, and naval forces. As long as any unit detects the other unit, it will be shown on F10 map.

• Like 1

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

I only have access to 1 PC that also has access to our special test version, so I need others to help test MP bugs like this and sometime schedules don't line up for a few days.

1. Reproduced and reported

2. That function never actually returned CA units, but I reported it in hopes that it gets rectified. Since it was never adapted to work with CA in the first place.

3.I believe the icons have had a transparent effect on the map for many months or even years now. Something about the icons completely covering up the map view and blocking other icons. That part is normal.

I don't get what you mean by the airplanes don't show. They show for me just fine. What you see on the other team is determined by the mission settings but also the visibility of the ground forces. Last I checked CA forces "Fog Of War" on for CA slots and the visibility is determined by detection rules of both air, ground, and naval forces. As long as any unit detects the other unit, it will be shown on F10 map.

Hello Grimes, thanks for checking this.

On point #1 and #2, some additional inputs:

In the initial change log of 1.5.0 ( http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=147601 ), it was stated that:

Unit.getPlayerName() is now functional on ground units and will return a player’s name if they are directly controlling the unit via Combined Arms.

So, if as reported under point #1 this function can return the player name when he is seated in a CA unit, that would be great.

On point #2, I guess the coalition.getPlayers() function only returns units that are with skill level client or player right? Well, it would be very nice if it would also return the CA units also. It will simplify the logic required to follow where the players are during an MP session.

Well, it seems that this function is not working properly in a multi player environment in 1.5.3.

If you want, we can test this jointly tomorrow. I can host the test mission on my server and you can join as a client to experience the test result. We'll need TeamSpeak or teamviewer. I prefer teamviewer as it also allows to share screens with voice ip.

On point #3, to be clarified further in a sequent post.

Edited by FlightControl

[/TABLE]

As I said, I reported both points 1 and 2 as bugs. There is no misunderstanding of what those functions should do with regard to Combined Arms.

And just to clarify I had to get the assistance of another tester since a lot of MP bugs seem to influence clients and not the host, or vice versa, so it is important to test both sides. So depending on when I see a bug like this I can't just instantly test it on my own because someone else isn't around to test it. In this case the bug effects both host and client, but that information is still useful to have.

As I said, I reported both points 1 and 2 as bugs. There is no misunderstanding of what those functions should do with regard to Combined Arms.

And just to clarify I had to get the assistance of another tester since a lot of MP bugs seem to influence clients and not the host, or vice versa, so it is important to test both sides. So depending on when I see a bug like this I can't just instantly test it on my own because someone else isn't around to test it. In this case the bug effects both host and client, but that information is still useful to have.

Grimes, thanks for the clarifications.

Just a quick question related to Unit.getPlayerName()...

When Units (will) have 2 or 3 client slots (like in the L-39 albatros and future modules), will this function return multiple player names in the multi-player environment, or, will another function (need to) be introduced?

I understand that coalition.getPlayers() can stay as-is, as this function just returns the Units where players are seated.

I haven't tested it with the L-39 yet ... Just asking ...

Sv.

[/TABLE]

I don't know. Personally I'd prefer to have getPlayerName() return whoever is the "pilot" of a given object and a new function to return a table of data like a seatId or something along those lines.

• 1 year later...
  • ED Team
Is there an update on this issue?

Bug is reported, we just need to watch for patch notes and have patience ;)

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 6 months later...

Bug 3 - getPlayerName() not working for CA ground units!

getPlayerName() not working for CA ground units!

Description: When having a server setup running a test mission, and, having a client machine logging into the server and selecting a ground unit, and jumping into it (RALT-J), the function Unit:getPlayerName() DOES NOT return anything. It returns a blank string ...

Consequence: Because player names cannot be retrieved, their actions cannot be followed ... This is an urgent issue.

References of posts on the forum:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.ph...ght=getPlayers

[/color]

[/TABLE]

• ED Team

This one is reported 0033899

very low priority currently, as it would be a new feature, I imagine ED will get to it when they have the time.

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2