[INVESTIGATING] VR Default Position

Chapa

First of all, very good job. The are very nice little details like the names of the HOTAS bindings that prove your dedication and the great experience you want to offer in this early access.

Question, bug or problem, I don't know but is the default position in VR as it should be ?

My first thought when I jumped in the cockpit was: Nice, a plane in which we have the noise in the HUD at it seems to be from pictures I saw. (with the advantage to have all MFD very clear and lisible in VR). But after visiting the pit and looking behind me, I noticed that the back seat is far behind... it is inclined but even the base seems far and the stick near.

If people or pilot could share how we really feel in front of the HUD (noise in the hud ?, about arm extended distance?, other simple metric?) it could be great, and if using a Rift S, his custom snapview settings very nice :)

Thanks you in advance and very good job again

Edited by uboats

i7 12700k, RTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, M.2 512Go, Quest 2

I feel good. I simply zero my VR to slightly adjust (if you feel too close, move a bit ahead, zero and then go back to your normal position)

it's cool not being too far back (like head resting on the seat) because then it's harder to read the small writings in the MFDs

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

I feel good. I simply zero my VR to slightly adjust (if you feel too close, move a bit ahead, zero and then go back to your normal position)

it's cool not being too far back (like head resting on the seat) because then it's harder to read the small writings in the MFDs

You can use the dcs view key rctrl rshift * and / on the numpad to move forward backwards amd then there is a bind called save cockpit angles

yes the bind to save the custom view (snapview) is RALT + Numpad 0.

In VR the saved snapview is often a mess. With TrackIR, tracking must be disabled, you define the view, save it and reactivate the tracking. In VR it's not possible to disable the tracking...

The only workaround I have found is to save the snapview, and then editing manually the snapview.lua file generated in saved_games/dcs/config/view folder. If needed, the default view settings can be recovered by looking at the views.lua file in the DCS installation folder: C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\JF-17

Here is the default VR view:

[14] = {--default view - VR

viewAngle = 114.165154,--FOV

hAngle = 0.000000,

vAngle = -9.363433,

x_trans = 0.127094,

y_trans = 0.015877,

z_trans = -0.003428,

rollAngle = 0.000000,

},

I tend to think that putting x_trans = 0 is better because the seat/stick positions relative to the pilot and its easier to see the front lights and center MFCD top buttons and screen.

Of course there are workaround to solve this small issue but Deka as probably go inside a true JF-17 and if they can translate their experience/knowledge to the VR default view, it would be very nice.

If it is already as it should be, it is a perfect answer for me and I will keep their settings :)

The position is too forward... in VR, if you look at your back, you must feel like if your "real" back was resting in the seat.

Exactly. This is like sitting straight in a reclined seat that's not made for doing so. I just see another problem when this gets corrected, but that's not Deka's fault then, but the real constructor's: You won't see the whole HUD symbology completely anymore.

With this modification the position is perfect IMO

hAngle = 0.000000,

vAngle = -9.363433,

x_trans = 0,

y_trans = 0.015877,

z_trans = -0.003428,

rollAngle = 0.000000,

},

Totally makes sense since the non-VR setting has that also (the block just above that one). Neck to eyes offset is simulated in non VR as well, so no difference required here. Although ED does that as well with their F-16.

IIRC x = fwd/back, y = up/dwn, z = left/rght here. Has been a while since I messed with those the last time (which was before these files went into the IC filter). So basically z should be 0 as well.

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I plan on doing the view.lua file change for the fix but you could use right Ctrl + shift numpad keys to shift your view temporarily and save it with 0 I think.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

That's what I usually do as well:

- learn forward

- press my assigned VR center view button

- sit normally again

- done

:thumbup:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Resetting zero by hitting the VR Center View is just a stop-gap. I constantly have tracking issues when looking at panels behind my left/right shoulders, causing my view point to become uncentered. If I hit VR center view, it will take me back to having my nose in the HUD glass. If I sit still and wait for it to automatically recenter, it takes a few seconds. In which case I am now a flaming fuselage falling through the sky.

hAngle = 0.000000,

vAngle = -9.363433,

x_trans = 0,

y_trans = 0.015877,

z_trans = -0.003428,

rollAngle = 0.000000,

},

Deka,

could you just update it to those values? They work perfect. No more effort needed.

Thx.

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

That's what I usually do as well:

- learn forward

- press my assigned VR center view button

- sit normally again

- done

:thumbup:

Spot on, but for some reason I find getting in the pit I'm whacking my chin on the UFC which is a claustrophobic feeling so I'd be welcoming a couple of inches backwards. VR has the ability to really annoy folks due to that immersive feeling.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

• 4 weeks later...
post your setting tested please, gentleman

we will fix it

Works perfect, useing it since release:

hAngle = 0.000000,

vAngle = -9.363433,

x_trans = 0,

y_trans = 0.015877,

z_trans = -0.003428,

rollAngle = 0.000000,

},

Modified file attached.

File path: \DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\JF-17

Views.lua

Edited by viper2097

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

Works perfect, useing it since release:

Modified file attached.

File path: \DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\JF-17

What's odd is since the last update, I checked this file and it had the same values mentioned here so I didn't have to make any changes. The VR view did seem a bit less forward. I know I had made a note for myself to change it next time I flew.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

@Viper You can fix the issue without breaking the IC. Here is how:

1. load a plane

2. change the default view a little bit with rctrl + rshift + numpad keys (2/4/6/8/etc.)

3. save the view with ralt + numpad 0

4. DCS will generate the file snapviews.lua in your save games/dcs/config/views folder

5. this file contains all the default views for all planes, find the JF-17 section and update the 14th view (VR)

6. Enjoy

To adjust the view, you don’t have to exit DCS. Exit the mission, adapt view in snapviews.lua, reload the mission.

If you don’t find the file, try to change/save a custom view multiple times. try to exit DCS because the file could be generated during closing. I have a doubt and don’t remember. As soon as the file exists, views can be adapted without exiting DCS

Edited by Chapa