Rift-S lack of nose gap

nrosko

I'm surprised there is not more discussion around the lack of a nose gap in the new Rift. This is pretty much a disaster for using simulators IMO. Does anyone know if it can be removed?

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

but it has a 'pass through' camera, so I bet eventually with a green screen you'll be able to overlay your simpit with the VR world :)

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

Yes but i don't think pass through is better myself. Green screen makes the game look like a bad movie effect & wouldn't really help seeing the keyboard.

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

It's a non issue. It's good that they have improved it and closing off the gap for less light leakage through the nose.

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

I'm surprised there is not more discussion around the lack of a nose gap in the new Rift. This is pretty much a disaster for using simulators IMO. Does anyone know if it can be removed?

I would have an issue. I like using physical buttons/switches. Doesn't ruin immersion for me.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I like the nose gap too, but many people complained about the light that entered ...

but it has a 'pass through' camera, so I bet eventually with a green screen you'll be able to overlay your simpit with the VR world :)

Have you seen videos or captures of that 'pass through' ?

I thought it was wireframe, like what they showed for the Quest on OC5.

I like the nose gap too, but many people complained about the light that entered ...

Have you seen videos or captures of that 'pass through' ?

I thought it was wireframe, like what they showed for the Quest on OC5.

I haven't seen any video capture via 'pass through' I was using my optimistic imagination to bet on what may come eventually. :)

Windows 10 Professional

Does it matter? Anybody really want to buy a Rift-S with those specs?

If yes, why? Really curious. What's the reason?

Dont see much improvement and since it uses a Inside-Out Tracking, the 3 Rift Sensors I've in my office wont be much of a use...

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Dont see much improvement and since it uses a Inside-Out Tracking, the 3 Rift Sensors I've in my office wont be much of a use...

Even if not much improvement, it is improvement, no? I'm definitely gonna upgrade my trusty old rift CV1

Why not? Rift S is still better or on par to other headsets in its price segment.

And whatever you're going to buy in the future, those 3 Rift Sensor you have now won't be much of a use. Looks like everyone's going inside-out tracking these days.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Not everyone has Palmer's IPD. We'll see how big an issue this is after the reviews start pouring in.

Anyway, what he wrote also applies to other headsets like HP Reverb.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Not everyone has Palmer's IPD. We'll see how big an issue this is after the reviews start pouring in.

Anyway, what he wrote also applies to other headsets like HP Reverb.

Supposedly the Reverb eyebox/sweet spot is supposed to be fairly large and square, and therefore capable of fitting most IPD's.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I'm 59 IPD so i guess the nose gap is no longer an issue.

You are in the 58-72 range that its supposed to work well for. "perfect people" have an IPD of 64 according to occulus.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Why not? Rift S is still better or on par to other headsets in its price segment.

And whatever you're going to buy in the future, those 3 Rift Sensor you have now won't be much of a use. Looks like everyone's going inside-out tracking these days.

Even if not much improvement, it is improvement, no? I'm definitely gonna upgrade my trusty old rift CV1

Me too. I like oculus environment, I'm very happy to get rid of the external sensors, if I manage to sell my current CV1 setup (HMD, 3 sensors and touch controllers) I can buy rift s for a little extra fee, I'm quite fine with the resolution of the CV1 (I can read gauges quite well already) so even if not so much on paper rift s is an improvement, but above all I'm not confident in running higher resolutions with my rtx 2070 (now I play DCS with PD 1.2 and no AA, with rift s I plan to go back to PD 1 and maybe to add some AA having a better clarity and keeping good fps).

According to IPD issue: I agree it's hard to debate until we'll have rift s on shelves, but nevertheless how can I measure my IPD?

Edited by nessuno0505

There is no proper user reviews yet so it is hard to debate about something hardly noticeable or proven as an issue at all.

Yeah, but this is the DCS forums, we love our imagined problems and purse swinging here... :music_whistling:

All the reviews I've read say that the visual clarity of the go is a big improve over CV1, mainly for what reading small text is concerned, and no one is complaining about fixed ipd. Nevertheless I'd like to go deep in this matter before considering to upgrade my cv1.

It has the lenses and screen of the GO, so we can start with that ...

To be fair, Nate Mitchell said it had a screen 'similar' to the Go. We wait to see....

Windows 10 Professional

It's very easy to measure your PD. Hold a metric ruler across your brow and look in a mirror about 8" away closing your right eye. Zero the ruler to the visible pupil. The switch open eyes and read the other pupil. I am nearly exact 65 mm so the Rift S should be about perfect for my eyes if that is what I decide to get. Since I am new to DCS and only have a PlayStation VR I will opt for the best available. What is the best VR unit available today with the highest resolution available under say $1K USD that my rig can support performance wise? Inside tracking? TIA

According to IPD issue: I agree it's hard to debate until we'll have rift s on shelves, but nevertheless how can I measure my IPD?

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

It's very easy to measure your PD. Hold a metric ruler across your brow and look in a mirror about 8" away closing your right eye. Zero the ruler to the visible pupil. The switch open eyes and read the other pupil. I am nearly exact 65 mm so the Rift S should be about perfect for my eyes if that is what I decide to get. Since I am new to DCS and only have a PlayStation VR I will opt for the best available. What is the best VR unit available today with the highest resolution available under say $1K USD that my rig can support performance wise? Inside tracking? TIA

Hp Reverb. Not out yet, but your system should be able to run it. Other possibilities from vive will peobably get announced soon. Id skip the riftS.