*SA342 BUG REPORTS*

The_Fragger

Using the DK2, If you have an in game blackout and you press the escape key to exit you are still blacked out and can't exit to menu.

Logs_openAlpha.zip

intel i7 6700k overclocked to 4.6, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz, Asus z170 pro gaming motherboard, Asus strix 1080, Max flight stick(modded), MFG Crosswind pedals.

I just took off, made a 180 degree turn and landed without touching the cyclic, only using collective and rudder.

And then repeated the same thing with autopilot stabilization off. It doesn't make any difference.

That was on the first attempt and I wasn't even trying very hard. I find it hard to believe that something like this is possible in any helicopter.

flying_with_one_hand.zip

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Can't fly any other chopper in DCS and still enjoy it. Please make it crappier. :( :music_whistling:

:lol::megalol:

Noooooo DON'T!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

This chopper certainly has its quirks. But in the few days I've grown very fond of it. Please don't change any of the flight dynamics!!!!

Happy Flying! :pilotfly:

Some things I noticed regarding flight dynamics:

there is no blowback, pitch/power effect at all

• if you enter ETL, every chopper is supposed to pitch up with increasing airspeed which needs to be compensated with fwd cyclic to achieve level flight. The gazelle does not, and even if you keep the pitch, you will nose-dive into the ground. Actually the rotor generates more lift with increased airspeed, which should prevent this from happening.
  • In level forward flight at no certain airspeed, if you drop collective the nose attitude does not change at all, the helicopter would only start to sink without nosing down (no pitch/power effect present in the gazelle)

I do not know if this behaviour is specific to the gazelle, but it is certainly very different to every helicopter I've flown in decent sims (UH-1 and X-plane: AS350, B407, R22, B206, BK117) and got to try at least IRL (Bo105, R66). Based on this experience I'm having a hard time trying to believe that this is realistic behaviour.

still, I think the Gazelle is going to be one of the most amazing aircraft in DCS. You guys did a fantastic job modelling it! I have no reason to doubt you will end up with a fantastic AFM for the Gazelle and I'm really looking forward to it!

Quite often when in Altitude hold I find it will keep pitching down slowly and picking up speed - right up to 260km/h or so when I start to get retreating blade stall and consequent sudden rolling moment. Level off, rinse and repeat. No change in torque as speed increases, but something isn't right when autopilot is engaged. Will try for a track.

Edit: Altitude hold is correct - zero vertical speed, just continuous acceleration as pitch increases on its own. Disengaging altitude hold at this extreme speed sees a sudden drop in altitude and a return back to normal performance. Using a dual FFB2 with simFFB

Edited by ldnz
Extra info.

Pilots don't die.

When crashing and the helo is shattered all over the place, the first person view camera remains attached to your virtual alter ego - although you are dead. You can look around and see your co-pilot hanging dead in his seat. But you can still swap seats and take the place of your dead buddy. Now you can still look around and also see that the pilot is hanging dead there as well! Both dead pilots can also still operate switches and knobs.

Screen_160503_034909.thumb.jpg.fb6fd84267d58b2f35dc24f69599962c.jpg

I just checked, no conflict at all, the cockpit view shakes even with engine not started at all

I think these are the normal helicopter vibrations. It happens to me after I shut down the engine that the vibrations don't stop. Even when I exit and hit "Fly again" it still shakes. I don't have this issue at the start of the very first mission. Tested in the quickstart missions.

If you press the torque test knob in normal flight you hear the sound of engine rpm decreasing. It doesn't affect the engine rpm but only the engine's sound.

Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600X

AMD Radeon™ RX 6800 XT 

G.Skill 32GB (2 x 16GB) Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600MHz

Some things I noticed regarding flight dynamics:

there is no blowback, pitch/power effect at all

• if you enter ETL, every chopper is supposed to pitch up with increasing airspeed which needs to be compensated with fwd cyclic to achieve level flight. The gazelle does not, and even if you keep the pitch, you will nose-dive into the ground. Actually the rotor generates more lift with increased airspeed, which should prevent this from happening.
  • In level forward flight at no certain airspeed, if you drop collective the nose attitude does not change at all, the helicopter would only start to sink without nosing down (no pitch/power effect present in the gazelle)

I do not know if this behaviour is specific to the gazelle, but it is certainly very different to every helicopter I've flown in decent sims (UH-1 and X-plane: AS350, B407, R22, B206, BK117) and got to try at least IRL (Bo105, R66). Based on this experience I'm having a hard time trying to believe that this is realistic behaviour.

still, I think the Gazelle is going to be one of the most amazing aircraft in DCS. You guys did a fantastic job modelling it! I have no reason to doubt you will end up with a fantastic AFM for the Gazelle and I'm really looking forward to it!

My thoughts exactly on both counts. I have crashed 2 or 3 times now because when entering ETL the Gazelle likes to take a noser into the ground unless you are pulling more back pressure on the cyclic as it hits transition. This is the opposite of what I would expect based on years of helo simming and some ground school training I've had (even though I've never taken actual lessons).

I also see tendency for the gazelle to drop like a stone, albeit a forward moving stone, when you drop the collective. I would imagine that a real helicopter continues to maintain forward flight at same altitude until airspeed bleeds off and you start to lose altitude - like the Huey does in DCS. I can drop the collective in the Huey at 100 knots and pull back on the cyclic to bleed speed and gain or maintain altitude and then pull the collective as needed when slow enough near the ground. When I drop the collective in the Gazelle at 100 knots and pull back on the cyclic the ship still drops to the ground like a rock! Once again not having flown it this is not what I would expect and certainly not what other helos in sims do that I fly. (dodo, mi-8, Huey, Blackshark, etc)

Edited by j0nx

ROTORCRAFT RULE

GB Aorus Ultra Z390| 8700K @ 4.9GHz | 32 GB DDR4 3000 | MSI GTX 1080ti | Corsair 1000HX | Silverstone FT02-WRI | Nvidia 3D Vision Surround | Windows 10 Professional X64

Volair Sim Cockpit, Rift S, Saitek X-55 HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Microsoft FF2, OE-XAM Bell 206 Collective, C-Tek anti-torque pedals

UH-1, SA342, Mi-8, KA50, AV8B, P-51D, A-10C, L39, F86, Yak, NS-430, Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf

startup procedure

Hi,

I have watched some youtube-videos regarding the real-life gazelle startup.

The starter switch in the sim behaves different to these videos:

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRuadjea8eQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=[/ame][ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZI__6nSfX4]SZI__6nSfX4[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQtge7toFV8[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psftghov2Ws[/ame]

In the sim the starter switch is always centered, you turn it upwards to engage the starter and leave it there (with a coded 20sec limit - the starter doesn't work before). If you are switching it to the middle position when idle, the engine goes out. You cannot restart the engine while the rotor is spinning. You have to wait for a complete stop.

In the videos the starter switch is in the down-position before starting the engine. To start the engine you switch it to the middle position - the engine is spooled up to a level where you can inject and ignite fuel by moving the starter to the up position for a short time. When the exhaust temp reaches 500 degrees you move the starter back to the middle position.

edit: I also think it is not right that there is no avionics power when the engine is not at full throttle.

Edited by ghost84
edit added

I also see tendency for the gazelle to drop like a stone, albeit a forward moving stone, when you drop the collective. I would imagine that a real helicopter continues to maintain forward flight at same altitude until airspeed bleeds off and you start to lose altitude - like the Huey does in DCS. I can drop the collective in the Huey at 100 knots and pull back on the cyclic to bleed speed and gain or maintain altitude and then pull the collective as needed when slow enough near the ground. When I drop the collective in the Gazelle at 100 knots and pull back on the cyclic the ship still drops to the ground like a rock! Once again not having flown it this is not what I would expect and certainly not what other helos in sims do that I fly. (dodo, mi-8, Huey, Blackshark, etc)

on the huey the blade are massively heavy and rotation has a lot of inerty.( easy autorotation for exemple due to that )

on the Gazelle rotor blades are composites and very light

maybe this is the start of an explanation.

i7-10700KF CPU  3.80GHz - 32 GO Ram - - nVidia RTX 2070 -  SSD Samsung EVO with LG  TV screen 40"  in 3840x2150 -  cockpit scale 1:1

- MS FFB2 Joystick  - COUGAR F16 throttle  - Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

Hi,

In the videos the starter switch is in the down-position before starting the engine. To start the engine you switch it to the middle position - the engine is spooled up to a level where you can inject and ignite fuel by moving the starter to the up position for a short time. When the exhaust temp reaches 500 degrees you move the starter back to the middle position.

Those are civilian versions which have a different engine.

Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600X

AMD Radeon™ RX 6800 XT 

G.Skill 32GB (2 x 16GB) Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600MHz