Virtual RAF Chinook Display team

Calico

Hello everyone, my name is Calico or you can just call me Ollie. I've been directed here by the head of the Virtual Blue Angels to find out some information. I fly in DCS World and have flown with the simulator community for just over 3 years now with lots of aerobatic experience discovering that a natural ability of mine has been formation. Now, as a result of all the aerobatic flying I decided to set up a solo demonstration team based on the real one that displays in the UK, the RAF Chinook Display Team. I have flown this display since early January 2013 on Microsoft Flight Simulator X which yes I know is now out dated and not as realistic as DCS. That is why I have come here because I know that someone on this forum will help me out with. I know that there is already a Chinook AI model in DCS at the moment how ever it is not fully flyable. If there is anyone that could help me make the Chinook fully flyable with a 3D modeled cockpit or maybe just transfer a cockpit such as the Huey's which I could probably get used to. Adjusting the aircraft flight dynamics would also be necessary considering I doubt it flies like the CH-47 does in real life. Once again if there is anyone that could try and develop this aircraft for me, maybe at a small price... then that would be great! Thank you for reading and I hope you take your time to consider what I have said.

Hate to let you down, but this is not FSX, and it's very unlikely that you'll find someone who wants to spend their hobby time on that undertaking. If you search, however, you might find a flyable mod that will involve a poor flight model and no cockpit.

there is no harm in asking I would like to see this also as I have spent many a long hour sitting by the range at odiham watching the wokka birds do their thing..Lovely...

AMD A8-5600K @ 4GHz, Radeon 7970 6Gig, 16 Gig Ram, Win 10 , 250 gig SSD, 40" Screen + 22 inch below, Track Ir, TMWH, Saitek combat pedals & a loose nut behind the stick :thumbup:

develop this aircraft for me, maybe at a small price... then that would be great!

Sorry m8, i hate to burst your bubble but if done to DCS level, you are talking 5 digit at the very least.

Edited by sobek

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Well it would have to be paid in British Pounds how ever I'm not expecting it to be DCS A-10C level, if someone could just get the flight dynamics right and maybe add in the Huey or Mi8 cockpit, I think I could live with that.

Well it would have to be paid in British Pounds how ever I'm not expecting it to be DCS A-10C level, if someone could just get the flight dynamics right and maybe add in the Huey or Mi8 cockpit, I think I could live with that.

That still amounts to a few hundred man hours for a highly trained engineer/programmer. If you want to follow through with this, you better erase the word just from your lexicon.

Come let's eat grandpa!

...if someone could just get the flight dynamics right and ...

I just need the model to be flyable with ...

There is a very large difference between those two statements. As Sobek said, 'just' is not an appropriate word for these statements.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I'm sorry I should have made it a bit clearer. Okay let me start again, I need someone to make the Chinook model in DCS flyable, I'm okay if it has got the cockpit of another aircraft how ever I do need the aircraft to fly realistically as I will be making a display team out of the aircraft and I do need to be able to perform the manoeuvres that it does in real life, so similar flight dynamics would help a lot. Trust me, if the aircraft turns out well, you will not be disappointed with my performance.

Edited by Calico

OK, let's back up a minute. There are a number of possibilities here with varying degrees of difficulty/cost and I don't think you're clear about where on that scale you want/need to be.

Possibilities, non exhaustive but in rough order of increasing difficulty:

- Replace external model of existing flyable aircraft with the existing Chinook but flight model and cockpit are unchanged

- Use flight model of another aircraft to make existing Chinook flyable but have a HUD only

- Create new realistic flight model for existing Chinook and fly with HUD only or copied cockpit from a Huey

- Full on DCS: Chinook

The first two are (by comparison) much simpler and a number of (relatively) simple mods have done this for other aircraft. These *might* be in the range of things you could ask as a favour or for a not astronomical sum of money, but would give you a Chinook that flies like a Huey or Mi-8.

For either of the last two (which I think is where you want to be, at least option 3) you are taking full on development and 5-6 figures GBP straight off. This is not a favour you are going to be able to just ask nicely for.

How deep are your pockets?

Edit: it's worth pointing out that, to my knowledge, the innards of flight models are not accessible to modders, so unless you can persuade Belsimtek to open up the workings of their models to you, any custom flight model is going to involve starting from scratch. You don't just update a few numbers in a table...

Edited by Flying Penguin

Per Ardua Ad Aquarium :drink:

Specs: Intel i7-9700K, GTX 2080TI, 32GB DDR4, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E, Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2

OK, let's back up a minute. There are a number of possibilities here with varying degrees of difficulty/cost and I don't think you're clear about where on that scale you want/need to be.

Possibilities, non exhaustive but in rough order of increasing difficulty:

- Replace external model of existing flyable aircraft with the existing Chinook but flight model and cockpit are unchanged

- Use flight model of another aircraft to make existing Chinook flyable but have a HUD only

- Create new realistic flight model for existing Chinook and fly with HUD only or copied cockpit from a Huey

- Full on DCS: Chinook

The first two are (by comparison) much simpler and a number of (relatively) simple mods have done this for other aircraft. These *might* be in the range of things you could ask as a favour or for a not astronomical sum of money, but would give you a Chinook that flies like a Huey or Mi-8.

For either of the last two (which I think is where you want to be, at least option 3) you are taking full on development and 5-6 figures GBP straight off. This is not a favour you are going to be able to just ask nicely for.

How deep are your pockets?

Well said.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Okay I now understand, I'm getting in contact with someone else who thinks they might be able to do one of the 2 top options so thanks for your constructive criticism but I'll have a chat with this guy and see what happens...

• 4 weeks later...
I've got the CH-47D into a flyable model using the Ka-50 cockpit and flight dynamics but I can't seem to re-position the cockpit... I've edited the cockpit local point loads but the cockpit won't budge :L

If your editting the cockpit position of an imported cockpit (like the ka50) then you need to edit the files for the Ka50 Cockpit. Not whatever you called the data lua for the aircraft (chinook.lua) or whatever.

But bear in mind if you do this then when you fly the Ka50 the cockpit will be out of position

Pman

I've managed to move the cockpit position and have removed the Ka-50 cockpit so I am sitting inside the Chinook model's cockpit with the HUD from the Ka-50 as well as some of the other instruments. It's flyable but I'm going to try and reposition some of the gauges, I'll upload some pictures of what I've done soon. And yes, it is a mod.

Edited by Calico