DCS: P-47D-30 Discussion

Barrett_g

"Or Richard Bong, with 40 kills? (all P-38?). Or Pappy, with 26 in the Corsair? "

I was just saying because folks have huge boners for the Spamcan. And I didn't mean Mustangs of the Pacific, I meant even the Jugs in the Pacific did better than the Mustangs in EU in terms of highest score. If you want to go for just hard numbers then you have to go with Wolfpack, They shot down close to 700 Luftwaffe planes, and not at the end when there was a 5 to 1 numerical advantage over Germans, or when the pilot quality had declined substantially. They shot down more planes than any group of the war when the Luftwaffe was about as good as it was gonna be, mid-late '43 going into '44.

George Preddy would have broken Gabby's record, I believe that, and it is unfortunate that Allied recognition really stunk across the board, resulting, predictably, in Allied pilots getting shot down way too often. Of course the top two aces of the war flew P-38's, and yes Boyington of course had 26 official or 29 or so unofficial between the P-40 and the Corsair, you have Foss at 26 in a bloomin' Wildcat, Hanson at 25 in the Corsair, McCambell at 34 in the Hellcat.......I can go on and on about the US greats, this was specifically aimed at the Mustang vs Thunderbolt convo.

If it handles anything like it did in War Thunder ( Practical Advantages only better DIve speed, armament) , then il probably prefer to continue to use the Stang for A2A and for most part end up using the Jug predominantly as a Strike fighter. IT certainly doesnt lack ordinance carry capacity, ( if thats not putting it lightly)

p-47-equipped-with-rockets-for-ground-attack.-warfare-history-network.jpg

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

I'm afraid that might be so. I'm certainly going to try my luck with it, though. But the trick is, don't get over anxious. If you dive on that guy and miss him, you MUST avoid the temptation to follow him into that turn that he will most likely make. Just keep going. It's going to be frustrating, I'm sure. Most guys can't fight like that. I find it hard, myself.

The highest scoring USAAF Fighter Group in the ETO was the 56th, and they never gave up their P-47's.

The Jug could more than hold its own in a dogfight, like any weapon you just have to know how to use it effectively.

B'n'Z, no turning fights, get low and slow and you're dead. Simple.

On the other hand, German ace Gunter Rall had a very unpleasant experience at the hands of the 56th at low level.

the-warrior-and-the-wolfpack-by-john-shaw-13.gif

Edited by BoNidle

Jug was reportedly a world class fighter above 30K. I know most fights don't take place like that here in the sim world, but from what pilots who flew her say she had a terrific roll rate, was very fast flat out, and could fall on a diving Jerry like a safe. The Hellhawks did some pretty good work against the Luftwaffe in the low/med altitude world as well; I've said it many times before, but they for sure gave better than they got vs late war FW's. I will say, for critical distance, that this is most likely the result of the German pilot problem, and the guys flying here are way more experienced in our "chosen profession" than your average German, or even American, fighter pilot, and as such I doubt the Jug would fare as good here as it did in real life in a low and mid level engagement.

Edited by Robert31178

I will say, for critical distance, that this is most likely the result of the German pilot problem, and the guys flying here are way more experienced in our "chosen profession" than your average German, or even American, fighter pilot, and as such I doubt the Jug would fare as good here as it did in real life in a low and mid level engagement.

Great point Robert. I would also add that in our virtual world, there is rarely ever the "fear factor" present that governs a lot of what a pilot does in actual combat and that has a lot to do with how a person does in the virtual world.That, and the absence of any G's to deal with!! :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

• 3 weeks later...
The highest scoring USAAF Fighter Group in the ETO was the 56th, and they never gave up their P-47's.

The Jug could more than hold its own in a dogfight, like any weapon you just have to know how to use it effectively.

B'n'Z, no turning fights, get low and slow and you're dead. Simple.

On the other hand, German ace Gunter Rall had a very unpleasant experience at the hands of the 56th at low level.

the-warrior-and-the-wolfpack-by-john-shaw-13.gif

Yeah I love that painting

• 3 weeks later...
  • ED Team

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

BTW, is the P-47 going at cruise already :-) ?

Really looking fwd into it... After a hiatus ( as usual ) I'm back... Visited the other temptations, enjoyed some of the aspects, but in the end I'm always reminded of such "basic" stuff as the need for rudder, the natural need to use it, without starring at the turn coordinator, and other subtleties that really make the accuracy of flight reproduction in DCS different, for the better...

The P-47s I tried didn't convince me... I'll wait for this one.

Edited by jcomm

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...