DCS FC3 Questions & Answers Thread

Milene

Well, I bought FC3 a couple of days ago and am experiencing some issues.

I tried flying the A10 A in CAS mission. I also have a new WartHog Hotas.

I bound controls to my hotas and launched the mission.

The only things that are working are the axis controls. Nothing else works. I even tried using the keyboard and no response i.e. landing gear, flaps, cannot arm the airplane.

In addition, there is no HUD.........

Instead of mucking about on my own, I would appreciate any suggestions on steps to troubleshoot this issue.

By the way, I can launch the P51 and the Huey and they work as usual. So I don't think it is a hardware issue.

thanks for any help

Gigabyte Z390 mobo, i9-9900K, 32gb ram, GTX 2080 ti, Evo 970 nvme 1tb, 2 DSD button box OSW panels, Oculus Rift CV1, Odyssey Plus, Valve Index, Rift S, HP Reverb, 2 SimRacingStudio wind sim fans, MFG Crosswind pedals, Warthog hotas w 50mm extension, Simlab GT1 EVOcockpit, Gametrix Jet Seat, SFX-100 3DOF motion, 8 transducers, 2 Cougar MFD's

DCS World, Simshaker for Aviators, sound module

Modules: P51, F/18, All Rotor craft, F14, F16, FC3

Super Carrier

Sounds lke you mised the 'power on' button. Without it your engines will start but nothing ele works. Don't know the keypress of the top of my head.

I appreciate the quick response. I have since tried the su33 and still have the same problems.

I launched a training mission - start up.

I did not even try to bind anything, I just followed the instructions given.

1. turn power on.........success

2. close canopy...............success

3. start left engine......using the key command as instructed......nothing....nada......

There is something going on in FC3 that is strange.....Please help

Question: Should I continue to post here, or should I open a ticket somewhere else on ED site?

Edited by dpj463
add

Gigabyte Z390 mobo, i9-9900K, 32gb ram, GTX 2080 ti, Evo 970 nvme 1tb, 2 DSD button box OSW panels, Oculus Rift CV1, Odyssey Plus, Valve Index, Rift S, HP Reverb, 2 SimRacingStudio wind sim fans, MFG Crosswind pedals, Warthog hotas w 50mm extension, Simlab GT1 EVOcockpit, Gametrix Jet Seat, SFX-100 3DOF motion, 8 transducers, 2 Cougar MFD's

Super Carrier

@dpj463: I believe you should have made a separate topic in the FC3 subforum: https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=321 but we can stay here unless moderator decide to move it.

Training missions may not be the best way to test your bindings as they still require you to hit the default binded keys which may or may not work with your current settings. Any other kind of mission will better serve testing.

Make small steps. Try to narrow down a problem. Remember that some things require other things to work, ie. flaps won't work unless you have at least one engine running which in turn gives the aircraft required hydraulics pressure.

When something does not work during the mission hit Esc > click Adjuct controls, select your current aircraft if not selected already and double check the bindings. Use search for key words like "engine", look how left/right engine start is binded and make sure you hit the right keys. Note that there are separate left and right modifiers, ie. LCtrl and RCtrl. Make sure you only use exact keys binded with exact modifier keys. You can also use the key in the controls menu to quickly jump to the binding.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

@dpj463: I believe you should have made a separate topic in the FC3 subforum: https://forums.eagle.ru/forumdisplay.php?f=321 but we can stay here unless moderator decide to move it.

Training missions may not be the best way to test your bindings as they still require you to hit the default binded keys which may or may not work with your current settings. Any other kind of mission will better serve testing.

Make small steps. Try to narrow down a problem. Remember that some things require other things to work, ie. flaps won't work unless you have at least one engine running which in turn gives the aircraft required hydraulics pressure.

When something does not work during the mission hit Esc > click Adjuct controls, select your current aircraft if not selected already and double check the bindings. Use search for key words like "engine", look how left/right engine start is binded and make sure you hit the right keys. Note that there are separate left and right modifiers, ie. LCtrl and RCtrl. Make sure you only use exact keys binded with exact modifier keys. You can also use the key in the controls menu to quickly jump to the binding.

Thanks, I will try this in a regular mission and double check the everything. I double checked on the training mission and made sure that I was hitting the right key combo.

Super Carrier

I appreciate the quick response. I have since tried the su33 and still have the same problems.

I launched a training mission - start up.

I did not even try to bind anything, I just followed the instructions given.

1. turn power on.........success

2. close canopy...............success

3. start left engine......using the key command as instructed......nothing....nada......

There is something going on in FC3 that is strange.....Please help

Question: Should I continue to post here, or should I open a ticket somewhere else on ED site?

Please note that for starting an engine you MUST have throttle on idle. Check your controls if your throttle is not moving slightly in your idle positions due to mechanical parts in your throttle is not so precise anymore. If this is the case, deadzone for throttle axis should help.

Please note that for starting an engine you MUST have throttle on idle. Check your controls if your throttle is not moving slightly in your idle positions due to mechanical parts in your throttle is not so precise anymore. If this is the case, deadzone for throttle axis should help.

Not correct. In FC3 aircraft you can have the throttle wherever you want. It will move to idle if you start the engines and happen to have your throttle at minimum. It will move to wherever you have it right now. Engine flame due not correct throttle position during start is not simulated.

EDIT: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3707190&postcount=718

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Not correct. In FC3 aircraft you can have the throttle wherever you want. It will move to idle if you start the engines and happen to have your throttle at minimum. It will move to wherever you have it right now. Engine flame due not correct throttle position during start is not simulated.

Engine flameout might not be simulated but I remember very clearly I couldn't start any engine of my FC3 plane (I do not remember which one it was though, but I think Su27 or F15), I didn't have any idea why and eventually it turned out I had not my throttle on idle and once I put it there it started to work. It is some time in the past, might have changed from then, I am just passing my own experience.

Engine flameout might not be simulated but I remember very clearly I couldn't start any engine of my FC3 plane (I do not remember which one it was though, but I think Su27 or F15), I didn't have any idea why and eventually it turned out I had not my throttle on idle and once I put it there it started to work. It is some time in the past, might have changed from then, I am just passing my own experience.

Just check it how it is now. It may also be related to more advanced throttle hardware where you have off and idle positions and even then it would be rather ASM stuff - not FC3.

Actually, engine flameout is simulated (ie. due prolonged negative G) just not jet engine hot start.

EDIT: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3707190&postcount=718

Edited by draconus

Ummm... No. If at idle, the throttles move to the start position. If in a "run" position, nothing happens.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

I'm sorry, I stand corrected. It's only possible in F-15C. A bug then?

Also you can actually hot start the jet engine in Frogfoot - just start the engine at idle and move throttle forward. Engine will stop spooling and start raising the temperature. Then it will burn and finally blow up.

Edited by draconus

FC3 Total Flle Size?

Sorry for the basic question - What is the file size for FC 3. I'm running low on my C drive and need to evaluate what FC3 install would take up. An associated question would be once downloaded can I simply cut and past FC3 to another drive such as my 1TB D drive or a thumb SSD as a temporary solution???? Thanks.

Clevo laptop: P650HS-G, i7-7820HK 3.9Hz max (+overclock capable), Liquid Metal pasted, 16GB DDR4/2400MHz, 15.6 G-Sync 120Hz 5ms panel, nVidia GTX 1070 w/8GDDR5, 10Pro

Installed: DCS World, DCS World 2 with Nevada, F-5; Purchased: F/A-18C

Is there a hidden "parking brake"? I can't find any mapping for it, but on cold start missions I have to throttle up a lot, sometimes even into AB, to get the plane moving. The plane digs in, nose dips down towards the tarmac, then it releases. After that I can taxi normally. Any idea what's going on?

VC

=X51= Squadron is recruiting!

X51 website: https://x51squadron.com/

Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/d9JtFY4

Is there a hidden "parking brake"? I can't find any mapping for it, but on cold start missions I have to throttle up a lot, sometimes even into AB, to get the plane moving. The plane digs in, nose dips down towards the tarmac, then it releases. After that I can taxi normally. Any idea what's going on?

That's usually LSHIFT+W (????)

EDIT: But, IIRC, just tapping the "W" key, releases it. I think that's what I've done in the past, anyway.

Edited by Ironhand

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

That's usually LSHIFT+W (????)

EDIT: But, IIRC, just tapping the "W" key, releases it. I think that's what I've done in the past, anyway.

Shift+W is not a toggle though either, you need to hold it down to get the effect. I've only ever used that function for Su-33 carrier take-offs.

So you're saying the brakes are "on" by default and you need to press and release to sync them up to your button press? That kind of makes sense, will try and keep an eye out.

VC

=X51= Squadron is recruiting!

X51 website: https://x51squadron.com/

Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/d9JtFY4

So you're saying the brakes are "on" by default and you need to press and release to sync them up to your button press? That kind of makes sense, will try and keep an eye out.

I have not yet stumbled upon such behavior in any FC3 aircraft. There is no parking brake available. Use RCtrl+Enter to check what's going on at the start of your mission.

Edited by draconus

Sorry for the basic question - What is the file size for FC 3. I'm running low on my C drive and need to evaluate what FC3 install would take up. An associated question would be once downloaded can I simply cut and past FC3 to another drive such as my 1TB D drive or a thumb SSD as a temporary solution???? Thanks.

It's 1.1GB. You can make virtual folder pointing to another drive but is it worth it? If it's C drive I assume it's system drive so you've got plenty of ways to shrink the Windows size and settings for space recovery.

Edited by draconus

I have not yet stumbled upon such behavior in any FC3 aircraft. There is no parking brake available. Use RCtrl+Enter to check what's going on at the start of your mission.

I've actually run into it from time to time with the Su-27 for certain and a few times with the MiG-29, I think. It always surprised me when it happened because I could see no rhyme or reason for it.

_____

Hi, few days ago i tried the F18C (sweet work this module), is it normal it's so easy to brake at landing in F18 compared to F15 (braking in F15 make the plane going on a side, it need much more training for landing in formation)

Is it normal or I do something wrong? or it's a bug on the F15?

Best Regards

Hi, few days ago i tried the F18C (sweet work this module), is it normal it's so easy to brake at landing in F18 compared to F15 (braking in F15 make the plane going on a side, it need much more training for landing in formation)

Is it normal or I do something wrong? or it's a bug on the F15?

Due aircrafts not being perfectly balanced weight wise it is normal for them to turn during hard braking. The wind also affects this behavior.

Mind that F/A-18C is 1/4 lighter. Being naval it's gear is much different too.